RIP Ronald McDonald

Options
rhirvo
rhirvo Posts: 162 Member
So I have been chubby/curvy all my life - 150-160 at 5'7 - always a size 8-11.. So whats my weakness - **** FOOD and LATE NIGHT EATING....

So I have been trying really hard to get back into a healthy routine with workouts, packing lunches, etc. Well today I did not pack my lunch and all I could think about was McDonalds chicken nuggets. Now I calculated the points figured you know I am working out tonight hard so its ok... (justification is also my issue). So as I was driving to Mcdonald and almost drove straight to the grocery store to pick out a healthier lunch you know maybe some lean turkey, an apple - but NO. I continued to McDonalds and as I was standing in line I decided to teach myself a lesson and eat the worst thing possible - Big Mac combo. I wanted to feel like crap, I want to quit the golden addiction to fast food products and I think I have succeeded - I am 277 days away from marrying the man of my dreams and I want to look like I work hard... I quit smoking 7 years ago cold turkey after getting sick off a cigarette - maybe this is exactly what I needed to quit that addiction too!

Replies

• allykat25
    Options
    LOL, that is funny! Congrats on the impending nuptuals!
  • JIsh09
    JIsh09 Posts: 158
    Options
    I've been wanting to say R.I.P to Ronald as well,but I can't seem to! Oh Ronald how I love your Frappe's!:tongue:
  • rhirvo
    Options
    I honestly felt a little sorry for myself as I was sitting there thinking the pickles and onions are the only thing I should really be eating in that mess...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    Contrary to popular belief you can lose weight even if you eat fast food once a week. There are many many people here that don't limit their food options and have achieved success.
    It comes down to basics: calories in calories out. If you can account for calories from McDonald's and still be in calorie deficit, you'll lose weight.
  • IggyL
    IggyL Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I honestly felt a little sorry for myself as I was sitting there thinking the pickles and onions are the only thing I should really be eating in that mess...

Don't forget the lettuce :laugh: sorry, I couldn't resist. I have always loved the BigMac.
  • newzgirl
    Options
    That was a funny story. So, did you feel like crap after the combo meal? One quick way to break the fast food addiction is to become vegetarian. Yes, easier said than done, but there is not much out there to eat in the fast food world for vegetarians.

And yes, congratulations on your upcoming marriage!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    :sick: Ewwww! I can't eat Big Mac's. They, to put it nicely, clean me out. :laugh:
  • carolinedb
    carolinedb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I probably eat McDonald's once every two or three months--I see no problem with it in small amounts! But I have noticed that the less I eat of it, the less delicious it tastes! Now it's become my "I have to eat something and there is literally no other option for miles" restaurant! Or you know, when my friends stop there on a road trip :).
  • StormyLlewellyn
    Options
    So I have been chubby/curvy all my life - 150-160 at 5'7 - always a size 8-11..

(((( When did Size 8 become chubby?????))))
    There are people here that have alot more to lose than 15 pounds......
    According to this websites bmi calculator a person 5' 7" should weigh between 118 & 159 pounds..

Btw.. I am glad that you can kick the McD's...
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean as far as struggling with the "justification" issue as well (I'm working around the clock, I'll work out tonight, etc), but in the end, I've come to the conclusion that nothing justifies doing that to my body...my body just deserves better. And so does yours.

I won't deny that every once in a while I get the urge to go have my old regular; double 1/4 pounder with cheese, 20 nuggets, fries and a chocolate milkshake...we just have to try to make sure our urge to be healthy wins out more than our urge to eat garbage.
  • Teksavvy
    Teksavvy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I agree with ninerbuff. All McDs and fast food isn't bad.
    However it's a shame that (on average), if the food is better for you, it's on the more expensive end of the spectrum. A grilled chicken sandwich, hold the mayo and substitute with mustard costs more than the Big Mac and much more than the McChicken. Although I do miss the "special sauce" and their fries!
  • fatguyweightloss
    Options
    Yeah Tom Naughton did a whole documentary around that fact you can lose weight eating at McDonalds:
    http://www.fathead-movie.com/
  • meeperoon
    meeperoon Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    im 5"7 and I wish I was 150-160lbs right now... its pretty close to my goal.

Well done tho. Im sure you'll get your goal soon.
  • TheGlen
    Options
    Contrary to popular belief you can lose weight even if you eat fast food once a week. There are many many people here that don't limit their food options and have achieved success.
    It comes down to basics: calories in calories out. If you can account for calories from McDonald's and still be in calorie deficit, you'll lose weight.

True, you can lose weight, even eating McDonalds (it is really all just a matter of calorie math); but there's a big difference between losing weight and being healthy. I hope I'm not coming across as "holier than thou", I'm not perfect by any means (and I do have cheat meals)...but I know when I'm eating fast food I'm not being healthy, even if I have a daily calorie deficit.
  • rhirvo
    Options
    Being closer to your goal weight makes it easier to make excuses - I still have some clothes in my closet that fit but I have A LOT that doesn't - I guess its more personal perspective.
  • rhirvo
    Options
    I have realized though I would rather have a bottle of wine then a cheat meal! LOL
  • TheGlen
    Options
    I have realized though I would rather have a bottle of wine then a cheat meal! LOL

I agree! lol
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    True, you can lose weight, even eating McDonalds (it is really all just a matter of calorie math); but there's a big difference between losing weight and being healthy. I hope I'm not coming across as "holier than thou", I'm not perfect by any means (and I do have cheat meals)...but I know when I'm eating fast food I'm not being healthy, even if I have a daily calorie deficit.
    Eating healthier doesn't ensure health. Likewise eating junk doesn't mean you'll be unhealthy.
    Health has more to do with, macronutrient contents, getting in your essentials, exercise, rest and low stress.
    Being unhealthy has more to do with, bad nutrition( not getting in essentials), lack of sleep or rest, high stress, being overweight or obese, sedentary, and genetics.
  • TheGlen
    Options
    Eating healthier doesn't ensure health. Likewise eating junk doesn't mean you'll be unhealthy.
    Health has more to do with, macronutrient contents, getting in your essentials, exercise, rest and low stress.
    Being unhealthy has more to do with, bad nutrition( not getting in essentials), lack of sleep or rest, high stress, being overweight or obese, sedentary, and genetics.

I don't completely agree with your statement, but I do agree that one piece of the puzzle doesn't complete the picture...I would say that nutrition is one of the most important pieces though. And I hope you'd agree that you are "not getting in essentials" when you eat at McDonalds.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I don't completely agree with your statement, but I do agree that one piece of the puzzle doesn't complete the picture...I would say that nutrition is one of the most important pieces though. And I hope you'd agree that you are "not getting in essentials" when you eat at McDonalds.
    The daily essentials you need are protein, fats, vitamins, minerals and water. Carbs are not essentials, but it's harder to function without them. You can get some of the essentials from a burger, apple dippers, and salad in a meal, but the ratios would probably be not enough.
    If you ate 2 good meals a day and one Mcdonald's meal, losing weight would still be attainable. When it comes to losing weight, you can do it eating Twinkies and chips everyday (as long as you also get in some protein somewhere). But you need certain essentials to keep the body working correctly.
    My rule (which is usually a consensus) is 80% of the time eat good and get in essentials, 20% eat what ever you want as long as you stay within calorie limits.