Supporting my wife.

Options
My wife and I are both MFP members, she started a couple weeks before me. I started after giving up coke because it was hard for her to stick to it when I was drinking it all the time. Since then I have lost 24lbs, her total is 16lbs. This morning she was very excited to see she had passed the 15lb mark, and I was so happy for her. The problem is she sees where I am at and I think it discourages her. I am so grateful for her finding this and keeping me motivated and I try to do the same for her. Sometimes I feel guilty for loosing faster than her and I know she will catch up soon but I need some help with how to keep her motivated. We both have heard men loose faster than women but that doesn't always make it easy for her. I am so proud of her for making goals and sticking to it, she doesn't see it but I can tell she has lost weight. I also am very excited for her and her achievements and wish I could make her understand how happy I am but at the same time share my excitement about mine with her without it feeling like a race.

Replies

• William77
    William77 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My wife and I are both MFP members, she started a couple weeks before me. I started after giving up coke because it was hard for her to stick to it when I was drinking it all the time. Since then I have lost 24lbs, her total is 16lbs. This morning she was very excited to see she had passed the 15lb mark, and I was so happy for her. The problem is she sees where I am at and I think it discourages her. I am so grateful for her finding this and keeping me motivated and I try to do the same for her. Sometimes I feel guilty for loosing faster than her and I know she will catch up soon but I need some help with how to keep her motivated. We both have heard men loose faster than women but that doesn't always make it easy for her. I am so proud of her for making goals and sticking to it, she doesn't see it but I can tell she has lost weight. I also am very excited for her and her achievements and wish I could make her understand how happy I am but at the same time share my excitement about mine with her without it feeling like a race.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    William, it's so good of you to give up the coke when it was tempting her. As you're finding out it's good for both of you.
    It is hard for us women because guys do lose quicker and for us it looks so much easier too. When I was losing it took me forever to drops 5lbs. DH could drop that like nothing. It is frustrating. But you sound like a guy who wants to be supportive so that will help. Just knowing that you care and are walking the road with her.
    Congrats to both of you!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    It is great that you are here supporting your wife. But it really isn't fair that men lose weight faster. I mean having a utereus and all the complications it comes with is hard enough we should at least be able to lose weight faster. But I digress.:wink:

Sorry I was no help.
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    There is another post floating around somewhere about same said issue except it is woman talking about hubby - same end result. You know, I also get kind of discouraged because my bf has lost 16 lb and I've lost 10, but he gets to eat sooo much more than me, I make our meals and log his in so I certainly know :tongue: but at the end of the day, I do not want him to weigh less than me or go faster but it's human nature that males lose faster and :tongue: I know he feels better about himself, he's quite supportive of me too. I was upset about not being double digits and he was, now I'm there no loss this week but it is what it is. Keep supporting your wife, she will certainly appreciate your efforts!
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Options
    That's a tough one william:

My wife and I are doing this together and she has done a great job and has lost 28 lbs. In the same time frame I have lost 72. On previous weight loss ventures it was always a problem when I would lose weight faster. It can be discouraging for her. One thing I did this time is I stopped discussing my progress with her for couple of weeks. Then she had time to focus on how she was doing. Now she is so busy working on her weight loss she could care less that I am losing faster. It can be tough but just keep reminder her how proud you are of her and that your amazed at how well she is doing and that you admire because you know it is so much harder for women.

On a side note...for those who complain about guys losing weight faster...we usually die first so were even.

lol