Smoking?

Options

Replies

• franciscoj1
    Options
    I had to quit on August 23, 2010- the day I found out I was pregnant. I also had to quit cold turkey, my guilty conscience wasn't going to let me do that to my unborn child. It's been over a year and I still want a cigarette every day. You have to want it, not be forced into it (like I was).

Some helpful tips:
    Read quit smoking for dummy's. It will help you quit by disgusting you.
    Dont be around others who smoke.
    Dont drink for awhile, as it only makes it that much harder.
    Suck on cinnamon sticks when you are craving (they are similar size and shape to a cigarette)
    Chew lots of gum
    Drink tons of water.
    Exercise, exercise, exercise. The harder you push yourself the better. It gives you the same rush of endorphins that nicotine used to.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Feel free to add me as a friend if you need someone to encourage you!
  • Kotasmommy
    Kotasmommy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I was a smoker for about 10 years and quit about 2 years ago.

The honest reason I quit was because it stopped being relaxing. It was shortly after they introduced the fire safety paper into my favorite brand and the thicker paper created 'heavier' ashes that flew back and burned my fingers and my cigarettes kept putting themselves out! After a few weeks it irked me so much that I decided enough was enough.

People will probably argue me to death, but the only way to really quit smoking is sheer willpower. You can use pills/patches/gum/etc to curve the cravings, but it's not going to stop them completely and at some point you will be having an internal argument with yourself as to how bad it would be if you just smoked one more cig. If you don't have the willpower to keep up your commitment, you'll be in for a near impossible journey.

What really helped me along the way was to not punish myself for quitting. Almost all of my friends were smokers and I was used to going out with a big group at work for our cigarette breaks. So instead of staying indoors while my friends went outside to smoke I still went with them... I just didn't light up. Sure it was hard for the first few days, but at least I didn't feel like I was being left out of the group just because I didn't want to smoke anymore.

Now two years later I'm never going back. I can't even articulate how much better I can breath now @_@. I can't imagine trying to do the exercises I've been doing if I were still a smoker. I'd have keeled over from lack of oxygen months ago.

I completely agree with you. If you want it enough than you can stop on your own.
  • DEEDLYNN
    DEEDLYNN Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I smoked 2 1/2 pks of Virginia Slims a day for many years. I tried to quit many times. This time....I would not let my mind quit on me. Notice I said my mind. It's not my body wanting cigarettes, it's my mind.

I joined Quitnet. I won't listen or participate with posts on there where people are looking for excuses to cheat...or have just one. (Not saying anyone here would do that, just saying this is how I've kept my quit.).

I started from day #1 putting the money I was saving into a savings account and haven't touched it.

I picked the date....for me...7/4/2011, Independence Day. I quit cold turkey. No meds, no gum, no patches. Just me...and my mind, which I had made up.

I now have more than $1300 in the bank. It's earmarked for something for me. Have no idea what, but I will know it when I see it. This money was being used for ciggys, for many years, so I'm not using it for bills now. It's MY money.

I'm telling you....your mind is the thing you have to battle. Once you figure that out, who is in control of your mind but you!!!

I can honestly say, this time...it has not been a battle. I've made a choice to live a healthier life. That life does not include cigarettes, it's not an option to have one.

Now...let me tell ya a little more....just in case you think life has been a little easy on me since 7/4/2011, so I don't understand stress.

1) I'm single and my only source of income is my job. I was put on probation at work..(thankfully, it's over and I'm passed it now), but someone was threatening my bread, butter, and mortgage.
    2) My 25 year old...only child....admitted that she was addicted to drugs.
    3) My 6 year old granddaughter, was all but abandoned
    4) My daughter, revealed that she is pregnant again, by a 47 year old biker....with a "rough" club.
    5) I started a 16 week boot camp, that consumes most of my waking hours outside work.

So...yes..it's stressful...yes...it's a little hard. But am I looking back for one second.....HECK NO!!!!

Just pick a date and DO IT!!!!!! If you want to do something, you'll find a way to do it...if you don't, you'll find an excuse!

If there is anything I can do....to help anyone trying to quit....just ask!

Dee
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I would have edited my first post, but I have no idea how to do that.

I have one cigarette left in my pack. I'm smoking one now. I plan to put this one out, smoke the other one and then never buy a pack again. Everyone's stories have been so helpful and touching, I believe I can do it. Please add me if you want I would love to have the support of others that have quit.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

You've all given me the will to think and KNOW that I can quit. Today will be my last day to smoke.

If you're the type of person who needs internet board support, consider signing up for a free acct at http://www.quitnet.com It's a support forum for quitting smoking. I found it helpful the first few times, but afterwards I had to stay away and just not think about it (cigarettes, etc.) at all.

You can do it!

edit: Just read Dee's post. She suggested QuitNet too. Highly recommended and useful.
  • Lucylaser
    Lucylaser Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I quit kinda cold turkey (after many tries). Contrary to popular belief I actually LOST weight when I quit. I also took a month off from drinking to reduce the temptation so that might have had something to do with it. ;)
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I smoked 2 1/2 pks of Virginia Slims a day for many years. I tried to quit many times. This time....I would not let my mind quit on me. Notice I said my mind. It's not my body wanting cigarettes, it's my mind.

I joined Quitnet. I won't listen or participate with posts on there where people are looking for excuses to cheat...or have just one. (Not saying anyone here would do that, just saying this is how I've kept my quit.).

I started from day #1 putting the money I was saving into a savings account and haven't touched it.

I picked the date....for me...7/4/2011, Independence Day. I quit cold turkey. No meds, no gum, no patches. Just me...and my mind, which I had made up.

I now have more than $1300 in the bank. It's earmarked for something for me. Have no idea what, but I will know it when I see it. This money was being used for ciggys, for many years, so I'm not using it for bills now. It's MY money.

I'm telling you....your mind is the thing you have to battle. Once you figure that out, who is in control of your mind but you!!!

I can honestly say, this time...it has not been a battle. I've made a choice to live a healthier life. That life does not include cigarettes, it's not an option to have one.

Now...let me tell ya a little more....just in case you think life has been a little easy on me since 7/4/2011, so I don't understand stress.

1) I'm single and my only source of income is my job. I was put on probation at work..(thankfully, it's over and I'm passed it now), but someone was threatening my bread, butter, and mortgage.
    2) My 25 year old...only child....admitted that she was addicted to drugs.
    3) My 6 year old granddaughter, was all but abandoned
    4) My daughter, revealed that she is pregnant again, by a 47 year old biker....with a "rough" club.
    5) I started a 16 week boot camp, that consumes most of my waking hours outside work.

So...yes..it's stressful...yes...it's a little hard. But am I looking back for one second.....HECK NO!!!!

Just pick a date and DO IT!!!!!! If you want to do something, you'll find a way to do it...if you don't, you'll find an excuse!

If there is anything I can do....to help anyone trying to quit....just ask!

Dee

thank you for sharing your story dee, you rock and are an inspiration!
  • Rairarun
    Rairarun Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The average smoker who tries to quit usually tries multiple times before they finally quit for good. I have some tips. I quit in January but that wasnt my first time. I quit for five years once and started back up two years ago. Anyway, you have to want to quit first of all. Make a quit date for sure. In the week prior to your quit date, start changing some things, like if you smoke in the car, quit, empty the ash trey and put gum ot tic tacs in it in stead. Try to not smoke in the same places you usually do.

I used the patch, but there are lots of things out there. Talk to your doctor or go online. Lots of states have programs that will help you get free patches, gum or those cough drop looking things. My state had an 800 number. Remember, if you slip up and smoke, dont beat yourself up over it, just pick yourself back up and continue on. Be kind to yourself. Quitting is one of the hardest things a person can do but the best thing. I gained ten pounds too. I can honestly say quitting can alter your body. I worked out six days a week and cut calories, but it happened any way. So on that I had to remember that ten pound extra isnt as serious as a pack and a half a day habit. Now, all these months later, I have not lost the weight but, you have no Idea of how freaking good I feel now. Hope this helps. Good Luck
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    For me, quitting and staying quit was all about the money.

I was spending $200-$300 a month on cigarettes.

Now that money goes into a savings account. It's been over two years. I've saved more in the last two years than every before! And it feels great to finally have some money saved up.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I smoked for about 6 or 7 years. Not as much as many so I'm sure it was easier for me.

I gave up drinking and smoking for lent one year. I was a miserable person for those 40 days, particularly when I realized that lent didn't end until AFTER St. Pattie's day, but when lent was over I stayed off of cigarrettes. I have a very occasional cigar every now and then, but since I quit (about 5 years now) I think I've had like 10 cigarettes total.

Like I said, was easier for me than many. But timing and state of mind plays into it. There are many tools that you can and should use to assist you in kicking the habit for good. In my opinion though, the biggest tool is making up your mind honestly with yourself that you don't want to be a smoker anymore.
  • sgressock
    sgressock Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking last December. Reason being I was terrified of getting cancer. I looked up all of the symptoms, and when I would get even a sore throat I would psych myself out. One day I woke up and just didn't smoke, and from there on took it one day at a time. My husband quit a month after me (also cold turkey.) I truly believe you don't need to use patches or take pills. No reason to feed the monster when sheer willpower will do the trick. Good luck!
  • alisonwww
    alisonwww Posts: 104
    Options
    I suggest you start to change your smoking habits before you quit. Do NOT smoke in your house. Make it a rule that you MUST go outside to smoke, this is probably the most important tool. Try to NOT smoke for as long as you can at the times when you always have them. Only allow yourself 1 on your drive to work and 1 on your drive home (put the pack in the trunk or back seat so you can't get to them)...things like that. Wait as long as you can after meals to have one. Try to NOT go out for a cigarette break during the day. Besides a physical addiction, it's also a very mental one and you'll make it easier for yourself if you try to break your habits before you try to quit completely. When you do quit, get some sugar free candy, mints & gum to keep on you, in the car, at your desk etc. I like icebreakers peppermint (i was a menthol smoker). I also used an electronic cigarette for the times I really wanted to go buy a pack and I still keep one in my purse for those stressful moments or for when I'm out having a few drinks and get the urge. This time I've quit for 1 year, 4 months (tomorrow actually!) and I have to say it's still a struggle. It is still "One day at a time". Also, there is a definite buzz from the nicotine that I miss. Exercise is helping to get that feeling back. Good luck!
  • Cocoaskinned_Diva
    Options
    I have been smoking off and on since I was 16 but it has been more like on for the last few years. So recently I have decided to quit smoking. I just up'd and stopped. I have always been a stress smoker and have now replaced smoking with working out. My stress level has decreased and I don't feel the need to light up like I used to and when I do feel the urge, I do some type of physical activity until the urge passes. I know everyone's reason for smoking is different, but hopefully something in my story can help you out.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    just wanted to say good luck and GREAT JOB for wanting to quit! :smile:
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I stopped cold turkey about 8 years ago.. I had started when I was 17 and after 9 years of it, I decided it was enough. I was also motivated by a stomach bug I got after a night of heavy drinking and smoking.. seeing all the gunk that was comming up each time I got sick scared me to death. The first few days were hard, but I was detemined to stop abusing my body with it.. I also quit drinking for good that same weekend. Haven't looked back since.
  • debswebby
    debswebby Posts: 326
    Options
    Tomorrow is my last day as a smoker. As I've been using Champix, the need for a cigarette has been decling so I'm only having about 3 a day.
    I went to the gym twice over the weekend and I felt great. I didn't stumble out of there huffing and puffing and wishing something heavy would fall on me to put me out of my misery. I felt like you're supposed to feel after a workout, tired but energised.
    I'm so looking forward to being a non smoker again. I didn't realise how good it felt until now.
  • nickiw68
    Options
    I quit smoking in March 2010 after my dentist told me I was in danger of losing my teeth within 10 years because of the smoking and also something possibly hereditary! I had been smoking for over 25 years.

I quit with patches and gum and haven't touched one since...I still get the odd desire to have one, but not enough that would make me go and buy some.

I did put on some weight and my craving for sweet things came back, but I have since lost a stone and now am back to where I was before without my sweet tooth!!

I can't say I feel 100% better for not smoking, but people have told me I look and smell better and I'm not always worrying about when and where I can have my next fix. I don't get the wheezing in my chest anymore either.

Nicki
  • debswebby
    debswebby Posts: 326
    Options
    I can't say I feel 100% better for not smoking, but people have told me I look and smell better and I'm not always worrying about when and where I can have my next fix. I don't get the wheezing in my chest anymore either.

Nicki

I didn't think I felt better last time I quit. It was only when I started again that I realised I had.
  • jam3114
    jam3114 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I am officially smoke free since 8th August 2003 - yes I still know the exact date I stopped it was a big milestone.
    My plan was to cut down gradually. I went from buying packs of 20, down to packs of 15 (no longer available), to buying packs of 10. Then I made a decision that I could only buy 1 pack a day so if I smoked my last cigarette out of the 10 by 6pm I could buy no more till the next day. When I managed that I rang our Smokers Quitline in Ireland & they sent me out a quit pack.
    One of the things in the pack was a monthly calender - I used to mark off the days that I went without a cigarette - it was something I religiously did every day & by the 2nd month I was forgetting to mark off the days which meant it didn't bother me not smoking.
    The one thing I remember the most was that I picked an actual day to stop smoking & had my last cigarette at 8pm the night before - that particular day I was going to a concert & I knew that I would be busy & it would be impossible for me to even get to a shop so it was a great confidence booster to complete the first day.
    I wish you the best of luck:smile:
  • anniebrasso
    Options
    So many inspirational stories.. Mine isn't so spectacular, but I'm still proud of myself.
    3rd of Feb this year, I had a choice.. Feed my children, or feed my habit. The children won.
    I started when I was 12. I was almost 31 when I quit.
    I downloaded so many apps, from hypnosis to counters, to games, to keep me busy.
    I read on Page 1, where a guy had said QuitNow! was an app he used.. I still use it, 8 months later.
    It tracked my money saved, my time spent NOT smoking, how many, and there was achievements along the way as well.
    The first week was torture, and actually the first month I don't think I did anything but eat.. I gained 20kg (about 45pounds).
    But I was free of it. I'm 8 months out now, and very rarely even think of it anymore. But when I do, and I check my progress.. I'm so proud of myself.
    In June (4 months after quitting, I hit 150kg (330lbs) and it was all I needed to turn my life around. 43lbs lost so far, I can breathe now. I can ride 20km on my bike in the living room, and be tired, but not heaving for breath.
    We all make excuses to smoke.. We're stressed, we're tired, after a meal.. but having to choose between smoking and feeding the people who depend on you.. it's one hell of an eyeopener.

My stats so far.. and think about these..

You've been free of cigarettes for 248 days, 23 hours, 4 minutes & 3 seconds

You have not smoked 3,734 cigarettes since then, and you have saved a total of $2,240.66.

Thats 186 packets. 18 cartons.. and so much money.

Good Luck!
  • Bubs05
    Bubs05 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    As a 20+ year smoker (and athlete...how messed up is that?) I finally quit for good 2 1/2 years ago. Although I had quit many times before, the longest time for 4 years, this time I'm done for good!
    My advice for anyone who wants to quit:
    1. Find what works for you. I used Chantix and it worked wonderfully for me. But there are people who can't take it because of drug interactions and some people also can't handle the side effects. I fortunately did not have any side effects. You may have to try several different things until you find what works.
    2. If you fall off the wagon, get back on as soon as possible. Quitting is hard! But just like dieting, if you have a bad day you can't just give up. Start over the next day. As soon as you say "I can't do this" you won't.
    3. You are on this site probably because you are trying to lose weight or trying to get in better shape. Both of those things are hard. And the keys to success in those things are the same as quitting smoking.
    4. You will have to change things in your life. You have to find the triggers and try to reduce those.
    5. There is LOTS of support here, don't forget to use it.

Good luck to all trying to quit. YOU CAN DO IT!!!