Running advice appreciated :)

Options
I am looking for some running advice from some of you experienced runners. :happy: Here's the story. I just started running and love it, but after my running I would have some soreness on the outside of my upper legs as well as just overall aches. I was running in the gym shoes I had had for years, so I figured it was my shoes. I did research online, asked friends who run, and finally ended up with a pair of Asics 2130s. I tried them for the first time today, walking the first mile then running the second mile. The shoes were fine for the first mile, with a little rubbing at the heel as well as minimal toe numbness, but I really think that was from lace issues. But, the SECOND that I switched from walking to running, I immediately had pain on the inside of both my knees. It wasn't severe pain, and I managed to get through most of the mile, with stopping when I needed to. But, this isn't pain that I had with my old shoes at all.

So, my question is, do I assume it is the shoes and return them and start looking for a new pair that will hopefully work better for me, or do I need to run in them more to break them in before I decide. The problem with that is that it will be hard to return them if I run in them anymore. I plan to do some more research on this, but I thought all of the experienced runners on here might have some helpful advice for me as well.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• ischmelle
    ischmelle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I am looking for some running advice from some of you experienced runners. :happy: Here's the story. I just started running and love it, but after my running I would have some soreness on the outside of my upper legs as well as just overall aches. I was running in the gym shoes I had had for years, so I figured it was my shoes. I did research online, asked friends who run, and finally ended up with a pair of Asics 2130s. I tried them for the first time today, walking the first mile then running the second mile. The shoes were fine for the first mile, with a little rubbing at the heel as well as minimal toe numbness, but I really think that was from lace issues. But, the SECOND that I switched from walking to running, I immediately had pain on the inside of both my knees. It wasn't severe pain, and I managed to get through most of the mile, with stopping when I needed to. But, this isn't pain that I had with my old shoes at all.

So, my question is, do I assume it is the shoes and return them and start looking for a new pair that will hopefully work better for me, or do I need to run in them more to break them in before I decide. The problem with that is that it will be hard to return them if I run in them anymore. I plan to do some more research on this, but I thought all of the experienced runners on here might have some helpful advice for me as well.

Thanks in advance!
  • zbkai189
    zbkai189 Posts: 2
    Options
    Breaking them in won't make knee pain go away. Go to a running store... not Foot Locker or Sports Authority... a real running store... they should watch you run and walk, look at your feet, etc. and help you find the right pair for your feet. Or, have one of your runner-friends look at your form... many aches and pains are from poor posture, gate length, etc.
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Return them! Running can be hard enough without shoes that rub and make you numb. I agree with zbk, go to a real running store where they video you on a treadmill and fit you for shoes that will work for you.
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    i agree, take them back!

running shoes are designed to HELP you run correctly and painlessly, but you have to make sure that your shoes are made to help your specific needs.
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    Breaking them in won't make knee pain go away. Go to a running store... not Foot Locker or Sports Authority... a real running store... they should watch you run and walk, look at your feet, etc. and help you find the right pair for your feet. Or, have one of your runner-friends look at your form... many aches and pains are from poor posture, gate length, etc.

I agree-go to a store where they really take time and watch how you walk/stand/run. If you are still having problems go to an orthopedist. I was an overpronator (running on the inside of foot) this is common for women. I now have a custom orthodics in my shoes. The point is that the kind of shoe you get makes a huge difference and if you can't find one that works than maybe orthodics would help.

One other thing. Are you wearing socks that are kind of thin and not cotton. They make sock out of technical fabrics that don't rub on the feet. Now if you have these you can rule that out as part of the foot rubbing problem.