Low-sodium chicken marinade

Options
Hiya MFPers,

Seems like everything I brush on my chicken is ridiculously high in sodium. Can anyone suggest something good that's low in sodium? Or does anyone have a recipe for a marinade I could make myself that's low in sodium?

Thanks!

Replies

• MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Dash no sodium :)
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    2/3 cup olive oil
    2/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    2 tablespoons liquid smoke flavoring
    2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
    2 teaspoons ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    How about this?

1/4 c Light Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    1/2 c Cider Vinegar
    2 T Dijon Mustard
    1/2 t Crushed or Chopped Garlic
    1/2 t Black Pepper
    1/2 t Paprika
    1/4 Cup Unsweetened Orange Juice
    1 t Basil
    1 t Oregano
    1/2 t Rosemary

I add a little juice from my jarred jalapenos also to give it some spice.... love love love OJ and jalapenos
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Try some lemon or lime juice and some spices / herbs. Dijon works well too. Or even hot sauce.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Hiya MFPers,

Seems like everything I brush on my chicken is ridiculously high in sodium. Can anyone suggest something good that's low in sodium? Or does anyone have a recipe for a marinade I could make myself that's low in sodium?

Thanks!
    You basically need three things to make a marinade:

* Acid to tenderize: vinegar, citrus juice, wine or beer. ( Avoid soy sauce and tomato juice because they are high in sodium).

* Oil to moisturize: Use 2 parts acid to 1 part or less oil.

* Seasoning to dress up flavors. You don't want to use salt anyway because it pulls moisture out of the meat.

You can use anything you like, really. I like olive oil, lime juice and garlic and onion. Here's one that's a bit more complex:

Chicken marinade

1 1/2 cups pineapple juice or white wine

1 medium onion, finely chopped

1 clove garlic, minced

1/2 teaspoon celery seed

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1/4 teaspoon thyme, tarragon or rosemary

When marinating, keep these tips in mind:

* Always marinate in glass, porcelain or stainless steel. Don't use cast iron or aluminum as the acid reacts with the metal, causing an unpleasant flavor and appearance.

* Marinate chicken for 1 to 2 hours. To allow the marinade to penetrate, score the surface or cut large pieces of meat into smaller ones. Do not marinate more than 24 hours because the meat fibers will break down, and the meat surface will become mushy.

* Cover and marinate the meat in the refrigerator, not on the countertop. Do not reuse marinade.
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I generally marinate my chicken in lemon juice, EVOO, garlic, and onion. Home made is much better than anything in a bottle!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I generally marinate my chicken in lemon juice, EVOO, garlic, and onion. Home made is much better than anything in a bottle!

Thank you!!! Someone that gets it!!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Ha! Close to mine except I prefer lime to lemon. :happy:
  • Losershawn
    Options
    All of these sound great. Can't wait to try them!