I'm hungry!!!!!!!!

Options
:sad:

My usual pattern is afoot. The first week or two of diet and exercise feel great. Then I start to feel STARVING!

The first week or so I was going under my allotted calories by 100 or 200 each day. I did not even want any more to eat. Now I find myself going over because I feel so hungry all the time.

I am making sure I eat every few hours. I am making sure it is nutrious. But still I am hungry, irritable, and I can't think straight.

I have pre diabetes so maybe that's the issue?

I'd love to believe my body is in starvation mode but I am counting all my calories using this site and tracking the nutritional values of everything. They say I only need 1200 calories per day and with my exercise I get 1400-1500. I should not feel this crappy.

My question? I don't really have one. Just looking for comradery I guess :)

Replies

• IndyHannah
    IndyHannah Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I started my health kick around this time last year and had the same experience. I was feeling good, eating well then like you I wanted to eat all the time. I kept snacking and snacking because I didn't want to give in and eat a big meal but I'd go over my limit on snacks anyway. I don't really have an answer all I can say is for me this eventually passed. Try not to stress about it - the more you think about it the harder it will be.

Go do something!! Take your mind off it

:-)

(and obviously make sure you're eating enough/right blah blah blah)
  • princessstokoe
    Options
    Wow I know how that feels... failed so many diets.

I'm currently on my 4th day and like you i'm eating under my calories and it's not bothering me..... however when week two maybe three comes i know i will be in your shoes where i start eating ABOVE my calories just so i'm not feeling hungry.
    I suppose we just gotta stay strong for that weight goal, i'm drinking water by the gallon so it fills me up!!
  • dosesr4winners20
    Options
    i had this problem until i started drinking at least 8 cups of water a day. sometimes the body mistakes thrist for hungry.

i'm not pre diabetic but i have an insulin problem and i just started metfomin, you should talk to your doctor just incase before you change your diet to radically.

also white carbs are horrible for us with insulin problems.
  • princessstokoe
    Options
    Hi!

I started my health kick around this time last year and had the same experience. I was feeling good, eating well then like you I wanted to eat all the time. I kept snacking and snacking because I didn't want to give in and eat a big meal but I'd go over my limit on snacks anyway. I don't really have an answer all I can say is for me this eventually passed. Try not to stress about it - the more you think about it the harder it will be.

Go do something!! Take your mind off it

:-)

(and obviously make sure you're eating enough/right blah blah blah)

so so true the more you think about it the harder it is!
  • fatguyweightloss
    Options
    Might try replacing some of your carbohydrates for fats/proteins. Fat can be much more statisfying and do not mess with your blood sugar levels to give you these swings of hunger. Hunger should gome from your stomach, if it is coming from your heads probably not getting enough fat/protein. It should be entirely possible to lose weight without hunger and you need to figure out what works with your body.
  • everydaypam
    everydaypam Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I feel you too! I can be totally fine but add workouts in and my stomach can't get enough. I found that upping my protein intake every day and having a good whole grain carb paired with protein and water after the workout seems to help keep my need for food under control and stay within my limits. Good luck figuring out your secret.
  • halsandmr
    halsandmr Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. My solution would be to address it for the short term. You should never go below 1200 calories. If at the end of the day you are lower, eat something.

You are eating 1400 cals or so and working out, right? How hard are you working out? Even if it's not strenuous, your body may be working harder now to adapt than it will later when it is use to the exercise so it is going to need some extra calories while it adjusts. Exercise adds to my appetite tremendously!! Maybe try a protein shake. I know you probably hear about them everywhere, but I use a little protein powder mixed with water or milk and it is extremely filling. It doesn't take much and your body will need it now that you're working out.

That's my suggestion. Hope it helps. :-)

Liz
  • wkravitz408
    Options
    I feel like I am the only one feeling this way. I started this journey 2 and half weeks ago and felt really good. Now I feel like I want to eat everything in sight. What I found helpful was to drink a bottle of water to help fill me up. I also tried sugarless chewing gum, because it kills the craving that I have for sweets. Hopefully this work for youalso......keep on trucking, you can do it.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Any chance it's that time of the month (TOM)? I was super hungry yesterday and realized last night that it's just about time for me. So today I planned really well with good snacks and lots of protein and even made room in my calories for some chocolate (thanks to a good burn in the gym) and I feel a lot better. Still kind of tempted to get pizza for dinner but I know there's some yummy chicken thighs marinading in the fridge so I'm going to stick to that plan and be good the rest of the week so I can "earn" my pizza night.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    How about upping the calories if 1200 is not enough? Try upping it to 1300 or 1400 hundred before exercise and see if that helps.. You should never be hungry.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    How about upping the calories if 1200 is not enough? Try upping it to 1300 or 1400 hundred before exercise and see if that helps.. You should never be hungry.

Agreed! 1200 is actually a bit low. Even after eating back my workout calories I was very hungry and felt a bit weeny in my workouts. Ended upping them to 1500, feeling great, not starving and am still losing 1lb. a week.
  • kjpersich
    kjpersich Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Try incorporating protein with every meal and snack. Protein shakes, almonds, cheese, Greek yogurt, grilled chicken breasts...if you graze on portions of these throughout the day it will help your hunger and also boost your metabolism.
  • lawannaw
    Options
    Hi, I am pre-diabetic also. I went to a nutritionalist and was told I could have 1700 calories. The told me to try and have 3 snacks and 3 meals. Even though MFP says 1200, eat back your calories and you can lose 1.5lb's - 2lb's a week, I have been able to lose 41lbs since 6/3/11, sometimes I stay with-in MFP calories and sometimes I go over.
    In my case I think if you are hungry you need to eat just make good food choices. If you remain hungry you are more tempted to cheat. Food is energy. If you need a little snack just to knock the edge off have that snack. If you need a little more than a snack, have a meal and just get moving afterwards. Take a walk, jump rope in place, march in place any thing just to get a little activity. That way you aren't starving and your not feeling guilty. Good luck