Any one had lipomas?

Options
Has anyone been diagnosed with lipomas, (fatty lumps under the skin) and actually had painful ones, and had them removed?

I have some in my belly flap, and they actually really hurt and bruise really easily. I have only gotten them in the last few weeks. Ive lost over 30 kg, with about the same to go.
I think I better go to the Dr, but wanting to know others experiences.

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You should get a referral so a surgeon. Sometimes they are worth getting removed, sometimes they aren't. In your case it sounds like you should have them removed. If they're causing pain and bruising it's worth having a minor surgical procedure to relieve that pain.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I have two but they are hard and calcified. I'd have your's looked at if they are causing pain.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I have two but they are hard and calcified. I'd have your's looked at if they are causing pain.

You should check yours often to make sure they aren't growing. Sometimes when fat calcifies it can cause scar tissue to form around it, which can then calcify and the process repeats and repeats, making them grow. When that happens they definitely need to be removed.
  • Time2getFit4Life
    Time2getFit4Life Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I have 2 by your description and I had them checked by the Dr. but never caused me any pain I was considering having them removed for appearance purposes.
  • Time2getFit4Life
    Time2getFit4Life Posts: 521 Member
    Options

You should check yours often to make sure they aren't growing. Sometimes when fat calcifies it can cause scar tissue to form around it, which can then calcify and the process repeats and repeats, making them grow. When that happens they definitely need to be removed.

Good to know I always ask my hubby do they look like they are growing to him but he say no I think I am going to go to the dr again to be sure.
  • soonergirl07
    Options
    I had one that was up under my right arm. It was very painful and had been growing since I was little. I finally had it removed back in April. It was big enough that it seemed as though I had a third breast. It was very sore and I hated it. They are non dangerous but can be very annoying. at the most uncomfortable. I was also told that I had one on my liver, but that as long as I had it checked every six months I should be just fine. I also get them between my legs on the inside of my thighs. Its because I am over weight and that skin stays moist from everyday activities. They will not kill you as long as they do not turn malignant. Most cases they don't. You can talk to a general surgeon and see about having them removed. Depending on the size and location a plastic surgeon can use lipo suction to remove them. Hope it helps.
  • robinpickles
    robinpickles Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have them on my heels, and one (new one) growing on my Achilles tendon..its not really painful (and the others are not at all) but I have to stretch that tendon out really well before walking.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I have on next to my back bone actually. And the doctor said since it is in such a close spot to my spine he wouldn't recommend surgery unless it started to really bother me. It comes and goes with the pain though. Some days it feels like it is the size of a friggin marble and hurts. others, i don't even know it's there.
  • Ayla20103005
    Ayla20103005 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I also have a large belly overhang, and this is where all the lumps are, there are heaps.
    I am planning to get a tummy tuck once ive finished losing weight, but I wonder if its worth looking at sooner, as I guess once the flap is gone, the lumps with be too.
    Am trying to add a pic of the bruises.
    I think ill go to the Dr today.
  • bonogul
    bonogul Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    lipomas are harmless, but if there is pain associated with it, you should get it checked out. sometimes people get whats called a fat necrosis, which can be painful, and these due calcify. they are due to trauma to the area.

with any kind a "-oma"/ (mass) you want to take note of its size, shape, symmetry, tenderness, color, and motility.
    round, mobile, non-tender, symmetric in size and color and shape usually means benign.
    I actually have a lipoma on my skull :) of all the places it could be right!!! its not noticeable at all and it doesn't bother or give me problems so i leave it there.

though i don't think its anything to worry about, but do see a doctor and get it checked out.

:)
  • txmike64
    txmike64 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I had one removed about 3 years ago, from the base of my neck over my spine. It was 8cm in size, still squishy when pressed on hard but starting to grow to large proportions to the point where I would look hunched over.

I had it removed, It was general surgery, not the doctor's office simple cut out of your skin.

The worry was that it would grow tentacles and start growing into the lungs, around the spinal cord. I could have left it alone and they just do an occasional MRI.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    My brother had two removed from his scalp about six years ago. Simple procedure in hospital with just local anaesthetic. They were not particularly sore but had got really big - they were sticking up through his hair and were really obvious. Unfortunately, further lipomas are now appearing on his scalp so he's got to make the decision again whether it is worth getting them removed for cosmetic reasons.

Bottom line is, they are usually harmless so unless they are really bothering you (and your doctor has said they are harmless) there is no need to have them removed.