Fruit Sugar

Options
Is it bad if I go over on sugar due to consuming fruit? I like eating apples, watermelons, grapes, and strawberries but they always put me over in my sugar. Is this okay though because they are fruit & healthy? Share your opinions please.

Replies

• aclark6818
    aclark6818 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I look at it as a healthy sugar & eat it in moderation. It's definitely better than a candy bar.
    :flowerforyou:
  • cweenie08
    cweenie08 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    it's not bad like eating tons of cake or candy, but it is something you should be aware of. fruit does have a lot of carbs and if you are trying to lose weight, carbs are something you should be watching. try swapping some of the fruit out with veggies. and avoid dried fruits as those are often very high in sugars.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    This will be a topic that is always debated-I've never gained weight because I ate too much fruit, I have gained weight because I ate too much candy, cookies, etc. So I say fruit is ok, yet others will tell you to limit it. I guess it's all up to you as an individual.
  • xxshewolfxx
    Options
    Fruit sugar is perfectly good for you, and I disagree with MFP including it in sugar allowance (as it DISCOURAGES people to eat fruit). The only sugar you should worry about is processed sugar (sweets, chocolate, sugary drinks etc.).

Don't worry about the natural sugars found in foods. They're GOOD for you. Honestly ;)
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid the really high sugar fruits like grapes, mangos and oranges. Raspberries, blackberries, nectarines, peaches, blueberries and strawberries have lower sugar and are just as tasty.
    But really... I dont count fruit sugar against myself. At least I'm not eating bags of candy like I used to!
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Fruit sugar is perfectly good for you, and I disagree with MFP including it in sugar allowance (as it DISCOURAGES people to eat fruit). The only sugar you should worry about is processed sugar (sweets, chocolate, sugary drinks etc.).

Don't worry about the natural sugars found in foods. They're GOOD for you. Honestly ;)

Ha! I just got torn a new one by making bold statements like this.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options

Exactly.
    I'm always always always over on sugar because I eat at least three different types of fruits for my dessert at lunch. I also measure out sugar for my morning coffee ( I refuse the fake shizz).
    Its like this: You ain't eating tons of candy etc...its all natural sugars in fruits...no biggie.. of course the Food Police will tell you otherwise, but eff it, it ain't candy.
    I lost 23lbs eating fruit every day of life, well among other healthy food items,but I always have fruit every day.