I need decorating ideas!

Options
Manda86
Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
So - my new bathroom has this retro black/white tile, like so

BlkwhtbthrmVt001.jpg

This isn't my place, just an example -

I'm already doing black, white and red for my kitchen (which has the same tile) and want something calming and inviting - can't change the tile. Any ideas for a color scheme?

Oh.. and I love color - leaving it just black and white isn't an option. :laugh: :laugh:

:heart:

Replies

• Manda86
    Options
    So - my new bathroom has this retro black/white tile, like so

BlkwhtbthrmVt001.jpg

This isn't my place, just an example -

I'm already doing black, white and red for my kitchen (which has the same tile) and want something calming and inviting - can't change the tile. Any ideas for a color scheme?

Oh.. and I love color - leaving it just black and white isn't an option. :laugh: :laugh:

:heart:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    This is a link to some tile that I thought had nice calming colors. I think you could work these colors with the black & white. Think towels in a few of these shades.

If you can find sea glass it would be nice to use in a soap dish to drain the soap. In a vase for color.

http://www.naturalpebbletile.com/product_info.php?p=Sea-Green-Pebble
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I saw in a decorating "booklet" thing at Home Depot that a nice warm blue/gray. I think there is a color by Behr called "Magic Spell" that was in the booklet. Had black and white tiles, white sink, toilet, shower curtain and then dark wood (or darker metal) for the mirror and lighting, etc. Looks really serene and not too much going on.

I did something similar in my bathroom. Our tiles aren't the square but we do have black and white and the blue with the white and brown rocks!

Blues in general are a calming color for paint (unless you go electric blue!! LOL!)
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I like purple, and it would look nice with the black and white. I mean PURPLE not lavendar :sick: .
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    If you're looking at color samples from the store, and it's a graduated strip with different shades, whatever color you choose, you will be better off with the second or third shade from the top. Too light a color will get lost against the white tiles, and too dark will be overwhelming with the black.

The great thing about black and white is that they are neutrals, and will go with just about anything as long as you get the right tone. What about nice warm taupe or mocha? I know it sounds strange, brown with black, but if you pick the right shade, it's quite beautiful.
  • Innerglow
    Innerglow Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    i second tami's idea.....when in doubt go blue!
  • CassieNic
    CassieNic Posts: 223
    Options
    i third the blues.
  • Manda86
    Options
    Might have to do that - I do like blue! I love the sea glass idea! Speaking of blue - anyone know how to work around "Smurf Blue" carpet? (It's all throughout the place)
  • keiko
    Options
    If you can't pull it up could you look for a large area rug to go over it?
    You have to wonder what some people were thinking, smurf blue for carpet?!
  • Manda86
    Options
    If you can't pull it up could you look for a large area rug to go over it?
    You have to wonder what some people were thinking, smurf blue for carpet?!

I know! Maybe several area rugs..:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I like bright red or yellow with black and white...or any bright color and grey with black and white...have fun Manda!
  • jhacker
    jhacker Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I like purple, and it would look nice with the black and white. I mean PURPLE not lavendar :sick: .

I agree!! LOVE purple!!!!:smooched:
  • keiko
    Options
    Is this a rental and you can't get rid of the smurfs? Have you checked to see what's underneath?
    I've torn out carpet in two different houses that had hardwood that did not need refinishing. I know I lucked out. Everyone is not so lucky. I love my hardwood floors.
  • amahlman
    amahlman Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have some ideas from my interior design classes. a Turquise would be really pretty and someone above mentioned sea glass...that would be beautiful. Bring that color in allover, towels, rugs, accessories,pics...Also the yellow was a great idea. It depends on whether you want a snappy contrasting bathroom or some spa ish look to it by bringing in softer tones. If its just you and no men decor. issues you could go paris type with pink, black and white. visit some boutiques for fun black, white, cream and pink you can even throw some hot pink in here and there if you like.
    In regards to the rug you can throw rug over it or go analogous color scheme which would be any 3-5 colors next to blue on the color wheel pick your faves ie: purple, blue,violet, turq and green or you can contrast it with rust accents or go neutrals to pull eye away so blue is more of an accent not a dominate color. I added some links to give you visuals if that would help http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://bp0.blogger.com/_EkxQiDsvJOM/RqCpFkdQ5gI/AAAAAAAAE1M/Gmjlzfkq1kM/s400/IMG_1944.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.designspongeonline.com/2007/07/absolutely-beautiful-things.html&usg=__tDEhVy77HBXb3WEFszp98men1z4=&h=393&w=388&sz=34&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=IF8POsFLr2tARM:&tbnh=124&tbnw=122&prev=/images?q=blue+and+orange+rooms&gbv=2&hl=en&sa=G

http://www.devoe.com/images/colorfeatures/colorscheme7.jpg

blue carpet room
    http://hookedonhouses.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/bluecarpetrm.jpg
  • amahlman
    amahlman Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    think this for the bath , its a baby rm but it gives you a visual....http://www.unique-baby-gear-ideas.com/images/blackwhitepinkbeddingamore.jpg
  • Manda86
    Options
    Is this a rental and you can't get rid of the smurfs? Have you checked to see what's underneath?
    I've torn out carpet in two different houses that had hardwood that did not need refinishing. I know I lucked out. Everyone is not so lucky. I love my hardwood floors.

Yeah, unfortunately, we rent and the Smurfs are here to stay. :grumble: When the economy recovers *fingers crossed* and we buy our own place, I'll have no qualms about ripping up ugly carpet. :laugh:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Any color, as long as you can get it in a fuzzy toilet topper set... I don't know what they are called, but one piece wraps around the tank, and there's a fuzzy shower cap type thing that goes over the lid... Oh, and the matching fuzzy rug that has a chunk cut out, so it snuggles around the base of the terlit...

I'm nothin' but class all the way:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Manda86
    Options
    Nice!!! lol
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT
    Our bathroom in our old house was black and white and we painted the walls a bright (but not too bright) yellow...I think it worked for a bathroom....
    Our other option was a grey/purple....it's really hard to explain but when we were house shopping we saw the nicest bathroom that was black and white and the walls were a really unusual but nice grey-ish/purple-ish..LOL..more deep purple with a little grey?
    It all worked really well together

Good luck
    Kim