yoga?

Options
is there some beginner version of yoga, or some trick that im missing? am i really increasing my flexibility by holding uncomfortable stretches for an hour? and is it supposed to be that uncomfortable? i used to be flexible... not so much anymore

Replies

• sykin
    sykin Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    It gets easier to do the poses. The flexibility will come (not gymnast, necessarily, but more flexible) but more - you'll gain good core muscles that will help you with everything else you do!
  • _Johanna_
    _Johanna_ Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I take a beginner fitness yoga class, and have since July. Its pretty simple and the instructor always stresses to only stretch as far and for as long as you can without hurting yourself. I would look around in your aread and see if there is something like that. You can always call yoga studios and ask I am sure they would be more than willing to help/
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Breathing and holding stretches works if you're in the correct position.
  • Eleisabelle
    Options
    Take it slow. You don't have to stretch the whole distance when you first start. In fact, if you stretch farther than your body tells you you should, you could injure yourself. When I first started, I could barely bend forward, my back was so tight. But over time, the stretches get deeper. Don't push yourself to where it hurts--just to where you feel the stretch a little bit. That will help.

I started with Richard Hittleman's 28-Day Yoga Exercise Plan. It's a book and not a video, but his technique encourages you to take it at your own pace and not force any of the poses.
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    It really does get easier (or, at least less uncomfortable) as you go on. Many yoga centers offer beginner or gentle yoga sessions. There are also huge differences from center to center, style to style, etc. and yoga at a gym is generally way different than places dedicated to yoga, pilates and meditation (I'm not a huge fan of gym yoga). Try a couple places (many have free trials), and definitely talk to your instructor about your difficulties!

PS: Using blocks, straps, bolsters, etc. may help too (check w/your instructor)
  • jcdfish
    jcdfish Posts: 31
    Options
    Yoga made a huge difference in my life. But I took beginning classes from a certified instructor who really knew her stuff. I wish like anything that I'd stuck with it. However, even though I did not keep up with the yoga, I think my current health problems would be so much worse if I hadn't taken it back then (about 15 to 16 years ago.)

But if you are not in a class, I really would recommend getting into one with a good instructor who knows what she or he is doing and will correct you if you are doing a pose wrong. That will help you get the most benefit from the pose, and will help you not injure yourself.
  • nicole00lynn
    Options
    thanks everybody! i will just have to be patient and take it slow :)
  • jjs22
    jjs22 Posts: 156
    Options
    i used to be flexible... not so much anymore

I don't know your age, but at 48 I'm having to acknowledge many things that aren't the same as they were when I was 16. I used to be able to just run 3 miles without stretching any time I felt like it. Now, just trying a few 40-yard intervals of jogging had me limping for a week.

I'm not sure about yoga/stretching, but I think it works the same way as exercise : you actually damage your body slightly, and afterwards your body repairs itself, only better. This process still works (even for people who are considerably older) but the sad truth is that the repair phase takes longer than it does for young folk.

The big challenge for me has been learning to be humble and gentle. I realize I'm not going to snap back into shape overnight, and I'm beginning to realize that the steps I need to take are tiny ones. But the nice thing is that I can feel that even the tiny steps are making a difference.

I think yoga is great, because everyone I've ever heard says you should never push yourself too hard. There's always room to be gentle and take it at your own pace.

p.s. Just think how bad you'd make everyone else feel if you were able to walk in and instantly be as flexible as those who have been practising diligently for years !
  • amyschaefer
    Options
    I have been doing a video at home and after a few times it is already getting easier. I am more flexible and my balance is better. I did it years ago and felt stronger and more limber. I love that feeling. Keep at it!
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I need the pre-beginner version.
  • MuseumOfAsh
    Options
    I've been using Element's AM & PM Yoga For Beginners. It has an AM session to get you going in the morning and a PM session to calm you down at night. I find the PM session very easy and I've been using it to slowly work on my flexibility. I've used the AM session a couple of times and it's a bit more strenuous and requires more flexibility. It's a great DVD for true beginners, which I am.
  • AA1ex
    AA1ex Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    It comes with practice. I love the gaiam DVDs (I get mine at target). If you have the discovery channels you can follow along with the fitness channel's yoga shows. Maybe taking a step back as well and not hold the poses for as long or something so you don't hurt yourself. Hope this helps :)
  • Gwen7121
    Gwen7121 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I've been taking yoga for a few months now, and I love it. I've definitely become more flexible but it takes time & practice. Don't give up! The flexibility will help your joints. It's made a huge difference for me personally.
  • jojogoslow
    jojogoslow Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've just started doing yoga using an old dvd, or sometimes an app on my phone, and I'm really getting a lot out of it. I run regularly, and since starting yoga my hips are looser and my pace has improved a lot. At first some of the stretches just felt, well, stretchy, but as I've become better at it the positions are easier and my muscles are beginning to work harder. I like that it isn't something I'll be good at right away, and that it will take many years of practise. Plus as I get better I can learn new poses or styles, so I don't think I'll ever get bored. I plan to start taking classes locally soon, very exciting :)
  • TempeB
    TempeB Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend the Richard Hittleman "28-day book", as mentioned earlier in the thread. It's a very old book (from the 60s) but has never been out of print because it's such a good book. Starts out extremely slowly, and progresses slowly. Great illustrations and instructions. I've started/re-started the program many times over the last 30 years, and I'm currently resuming it again. Very simple program and stretching exercises, but they are very effective and you can quickly feel the difference in just a few days.
  • WhitneyJerome
    WhitneyJerome Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Try this link. This woman is wonderful and she is a professional yoga teacher so you can get free classes in your own home!! I tried a lot a of different videos on youtube and she is my favorite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqQZ6oHjIFc&feature=channel
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't be uncomfortable, because half the point of yoga is the relaxation and the state of mind it brings you to. If you're uncomfortable, you can't relax, and your muscles can't loosen and lengthen. Look into some yoga for beginners or modifications to moves so you can fully relax in each position; it will benefit you more than "pushing through."
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I second the 28-day book. Very good stuff. Take it slow. Yoga teaches that you should listen to your body. Do only what your body allows, it's ok. you are NOT competing! it's a continuum. Doing a little bit is good.]

As far as DVDs, I think the Gaiam ones are very good. They offer modifications for beginners.
  • nt2012
    nt2012 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    remember that yoga is about "practicing" - a key verb here - and your body only changes and adjusts with more practice