Oysters on half Shell & Food Poisoning???

Options
mikioi
mikioi Posts: 86 Member
Last night after i finished work I went to Kincaids and ordered 1/2 doz raw oysters on half shell and I had 1 glass of cabernet. I left at about 10pm and then at about 12:30am-1:00am I started feeling feverish. I was restless trying to sleep in bed and my body felt as if it were sun burned. My head was pounding and I felt sick to my stomach. After tossing and turning for a couple hours I finally started vomiting. i felt a little better for a moment and then I felt terrible again. So this continued the whole night until finally my boyfriend gave me some tylenol pm. I finally fell asleep around 4:30 am. I called the Kincaids this morning to inform their manager I was sick and she responded that it wasn't their oysters because they are always fresh and food poisoning doesn't kick in this quickly? Anyone know if this is true or not?

Thanks

Replies

• colgosling
    colgosling Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I had food poisening a while back from eating Pancakes of all things. I had them at about 730pm and I was working that night, I came into work and had to go back home as I had a pounding headache and felt ill, I was finally ill when I got home around midnight, felt better but then was ill again at 05.30 the next morning.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    You should have asked her where she recieved her doctorate degree.
  • onefitdiva
    onefitdiva Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    It can kick in that quick if you had an empty stomach. I am not saying it was def. food poisioning, but it can get you sick fast. I got Salmonella poisoning at an Italian Festival many years ago and it kicked in fast. Also she can not guarantee the safety fresh or not...if they were not stored and held at the proper temp. bacteria can form.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Raw oysters always come with a disclaimer ("eating raw shellfish can be a health hazard because there's no way a seafood purveyor can be completely sure they didn't serve you a bad oyster-- even if it's a very reputable business with immaculate standards. Oysters and other shellfish are the product of their environment, and there is always a risk.

The good news is that very few people actually ever die from eating 'em.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5732647_dangers-eating-raw-oysters_.html

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I'm a big oyster fan myself!
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor, but it sounds like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scombroid_food_poisoning
  • LixxiKitti
    Options
    totally food poisoning, call you local council or food safety authority and report them.
  • RDH77
    RDH77 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Sounds like food poisoning. It can set in pretty quickly, at least 4 hours in some cases. Here's a few links I found... http://www.livestrong.com/article/387513-raw-oysters-food-poisoning/ and http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/foodborneinfections_g.htm#mostcommon
  • STARSHINE1975
    Options
    http://www.vdacs.virginia.gov/foodsafety/poisoning.shtml
    Depends on the contaminant. Can be anywhere from 1 hour to several days or even weeks.

It doesn't matter how fresh the oysters were if they were not handled properly. Who knows what the hygiene habits are of the people catching, packing, shipping, unpacking and serving those oysters. And honestly, there is no why she could know either. she could have handled it better by considering that there was a possibility it was the oysters rather than getting so defensive.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    My hubby and i got it from some seafood salad a couple of years ago. We ate it for dinner, felt fine until next day around 11am. We didn't know the other was sick but drove in the yard from leaving work early at exactly the same time. We were vomiting for 2 days straight. thought we were gonna die................I would say you had food poisoning if I were to guess.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I got it from crab legs and within 2.5 hours I was Linda Blair. It is a risk you take with seafood. Especially oysters. Side note, still haven't wanted crab legs.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    there's always a risk of food poisoning with food like that (pretty much any food, really), and yes, sounds like it. i hope you feel better soon!
  • mikioi
    mikioi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    thank you all for your responses and links. I will check them out now. :)
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    Food poisoning can kick in within a few minutes or hours, to several days later. Things like listeria take a long time until you get ill, but other types of food poisoning can affect you within an hour of consuming something.

While it could have been something else you ate that day, I'd point my finger at the oysters.