WANTED: Healthy, Low Cal Substitutes for Baking Recipes

Options
hwesp
hwesp Posts: 17 Member
So it is fall and that always makes me want to bake warm, yummy treats. As I use the recipe feature on myfitnesspal, I am constantly amazed at how much (calories/carbs/fats) some ingredient recipes contribute. I'm looking for some ideas on how to decrease these without ruining the taste.

Some things I've learned over the years are to...
1. substitute (light) butter for half of the crisco amount
2. substitute applesauce for the vegetable oil amount
3. use a Splenda Brown Sugar Mix (half splenda, half real sugar) instead of brown sugar
4. use Splenda granulated instead of white sugar
5. substitute whole wheat flour for half of the flour amount

If you have a butter, crisco, oil, etc substitution, please share :smile:

Replies

• rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Instead of applesauce, I've used mashed cooked carrots (or baby food carrots).
  • Shawn_Marie
    Options
    use canned pumpkin in place of the fats
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Try can Pumpkin
  • hwesp
    Options
    Is that a direct substitution (1 cup for 1 cup)?
  • darklord48
    darklord48 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure this is quite what you're looking for.

When making brownies out of a mix, replace everything you would add (oil, egg, etc) with a can of black beans that you have drained and pureed. I know it sounds strange, but it is delicious. A lot of fiber is added that way too.
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    instead of eggs you can use flaxseed......instead of butter you can use coconut oil.....thats about all really. i just always try to substitute things for lower fat, whole wheat, agave syrup instead of sugar....... i'm currently starting a vegetartion/as much vegas items as possible so i need to start swapping out a lot of stuff. i found some yummy looking pies made with tofu, coconut milk, coconut oils....agar agar (like a gelatin substitute), substitue soy milk for milk or non dairy milk....
  • hwesp
    Options
    "When making brownies out of a mix, replace everything you would add (oil, egg, etc) with a can of black beans that you have drained and pureed."

Thanks! I've also made brownie mix replacing all ingredients (except dry mix) with one can of diet or zero soda.