Inexpensive running clothes?

Options
2»

Replies

• ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    TJ MAXX and Target (I like target over walmart for work out stuff)
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Target for sure. If you live in really cold weather though, I would suggest investing in a good pair of cold weather pants. If you are training for distance, like you said, you def don't want chaffing. Nike has a huge selection. Yes, they are a little $$$, but I got through the whole winter with one pair last year. As far as tops, Target & Khols have a really good selection.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I personally can't run in brands like Target, Champion or any of the "cheaper" name brand stuff they sell at Marshall's/Target - yes it might be Under Armor, but it's no good quality UA!

Running Warehouse, Road Runner Sports are two of the best places...they're not cheap (as in $10 cheap), but the quality you can get is well worth the markdowns. RW is probably the better of the two and sign up for their emails, they have some awesome sales! Also, outlets are good places to go. I went to a Pearl Izumi outlet and got $240 worth of running tights for around $120, not cheap but much cheaper! But if you plan on being a runner for a long time, it's worth investing. I ran through temps in the -Fs last year just fine. Oh and Mizuno Breath Thermo is one of the best out there!
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I get most of my workout stuff from outlet stores-- there are Nike and UnderArmour outlets very close to where I live. Is there an outlet mall near you? It's a great way to get really good quality workout clothes (or anything else, for that matter) for way cheap.

I really recommend UnderArmour for running outside in the winter. It really, really works. It's a bit of an investment, but it won't fall apart after repeated cycles through the washing machine!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Goodwill, Walmart, Old Navy, KMart...any of these stores are great and inexpensive. (especially when they are on clearance.) I have yet to pay over 5 bucks for any of my workout clothes, well except for sports bras.
    I'm like you. I don't like to spend too much money on clothes I'll wear out faster than dress clothes.
  • leilani♥
    Options
    Goodwill & vaseline
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    If you're broke, why not just run in your old normal clothes? Even a loose pair of old jeans and a long-sleeved t-shirt is fine to exercise in.
    Jeans are the WORST...but check for sales at places like REI. You will be suprised at how awesome of deals you can get. Or if you are lucky enough to have outlet shops like we do here...Tanger for example..you are golden
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Unless it's below freezing, I'm perfectly fine running in capris and a fleece sweatshirt over a moisture wicking tee. Sometimes with gloves. It's only cold when I stop. :tongue:
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    walmart, tjmaxx, ross, and marshalls!
    I second those, especially TJ Maxx and Ross.

I buy the majority of my running pants, my compression pant too from TJ Maxx and Ross.
  • rnlenore
    rnlenore Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of my stuff from volunteers of america and goodwill. If you go to some of the nicer areas you can get practically new stuff really cheap.
  • milehighcritic
    Options
    Kohls is great for inexpensive workout clothes. They usually send me a $10.00 coupon no minimum purchase. They carry Adidas, Nike, Fila and Champion.
  • Scoobiesnax
    Scoobiesnax Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Forget the clothes. Run naked.

It's way cheaper.

And...no laundry.
    :grumble:

But if that's not an option...Goodwill and similar second hand stores, or factory outlets are usually pretty good, and fairly inexpensive.
  • KEShikes
    KEShikes Posts: 110
    Options
    Agree with TJ Maxx but also try sierraoutdoors.com
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have a ton of Nike stuff from Ross--shirts and jackets. And I've done almost all of my marathon training in Champion running tights of varying lengths from Target. The days I forgot to wear them, I really regretted it. Jeans aren't the only thing that chafe!

As far as price vs quality goes, the thing I don't skimp on is shoes. Running specialty store for me, where they watch my gait and find something specific. Pricey, but way cheaper than the doctor bills I didn't rack up. Good shoes saved my knees and shins.