Vegetarian Eating too much carbs!

Options
Are there any Vegetarians ( Vegans as well) That have any advice or Recipes for meals that do not overload you on carbs?? I have been tracking my carb intake and it seems to always be about 60-70% of my daily intake of food! I eat lots of tofu and fruits and vegetables so do you think that may be the reason I have been coming up high with Carb intake?

Also, just any wonderful quick and easy vegan recipes! I'm a recent (2 months) Vegan and I just am running out of ideas!!

Thank you all in advance!

Replies

• Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Off topic, and they aren't the healthiest so they should only be eaten once in awhile, but have you been to Green-which is a vegan restaurant in Scottsdale or Udupi-a Vegan/vegetarian Indian cousine restaurant also in Scottsdale? I used to be veganand I loved loved loved those places.

Anyway, I ate the same things over and over when I was vegan-fresh vegetable sandwhiches, Spaghetti and vegan sausage, chinese food-tofu, lots of tofu, Indian food at home, big salads, steamed vegetables, and burritos really really awesome burritos-my ex and I just ate the same things over and over and never really worries about carbs. We did have a lot of fruit as snacks though. I lost weight with it pretty quickly-60lbs in 5-6 mos, and I felt great about it, and then I let people drag me into my old habits of fast food and high fat high calorie foods.

Ok I guess I never really cooked much, sorry I'm not a help.
  • canadianchickie
    Options
    yep! you nailed it on the head.
    Too much fruit/veg will do it.

look at your food diary to see exactly where your carbs are coming from. Dont' give up fruit, just swap them, and choose ones that are lower in carbs. The same for veggies.
    ask yourself why you are eating too much carb- is it because you find you are frequently hungry? If so, I got this advice the other day:
    make sure that the meals you eat are high enough in your protien intake - and that it is a 'complete protein'. Combine a grain with a bean/veg etc. (i.e. ryvita cracker w/ hummus, cheese (thin thin slice), tomato, avocado); vegetable soup like potatoe & leak with a slice of rye toast, etc. etc.
    when we eat just veg, or just soy, or whatever, without combining it with a grain of sorts, we have an incomplete protein. Then your body feels hungrier!
    This helped me feel substantially better, and has helped to lower my food/carb intake.

believe me; when you shoot for the complete proteins, you feel sated- this will help with lowering your carb intake, and provide you with a ton of energy.
  • Bonny272
    Bonny272 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Unless you are planning on doing some serious body building I wouldn't worry. Carbs are energy! Just track your calories and keep making healthy choices.
  • Katelyn_Look
    Options
    yep! you nailed it on the head.
    Too much fruit/veg will do it.

look at your food diary to see exactly where your carbs are coming from. Dont' give up fruit, just swap them, and choose ones that are lower in carbs. The same for veggies.
    ask yourself why you are eating too much carb- is it because you find you are frequently hungry? If so, I got this advice the other day:
    make sure that the meals you eat are high enough in your protien intake - and that it is a 'complete protein'. Combine a grain with a bean/veg etc. (i.e. ryvita cracker w/ hummus, cheese (thin thin slice), tomato, avocado); vegetable soup like potatoe & leak with a slice of rye toast, etc. etc.
    when we eat just veg, or just soy, or whatever, without combining it with a grain of sorts, we have an incomplete protein. Then your body feels hungrier!
    This helped me feel substantially better, and has helped to lower my food/carb intake.

believe me; when you shoot for the complete proteins, you feel sated- this will help with lowering your carb intake, and provide you with a ton of energy.

THANK YOU!! And yes, I do tend to just eat the vegetables or fruits alone and I am constantly starving. I heard quinoa is really pretty good for you. I think I may try to add that in!
  • Katelyn_Look
    Options
    You all do help though! And no I have never been to any kinds of indian restaurants. I live in Prescott, where everyone I swear EVERYONE I've ever met is a meat eater and it's very rare to find any vegetarian selections on the menu. I will have to try some burrittos though.

Also, I'm not really being that strict about anything I'd just love to get those last few pounds gone so I could MAYBE see my abs and get my lovehandles my daughter's leftovers gave me!
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I lived in the Central Phoenix area, so sorry I don't recall how close to Prescott that was, but you have to try Green if you can.

We made burritos with:
    Soy chorizo
    Black beans
    Avocado
    Tomatoes
    Jalapenos
    Salsa
    or any variation on this, they were absolutely delicious. I wish I could get soy chorizo here.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    My goals are 50% carbs, 20% protein and 30% fat - today I am high on protein and carbs but low on fat and sugar compared to my goals. Friend me if you want to see my diary and see how I keep the carbs and sugars down.

Eating lots of vegetables is a great thing to do, as long as you limit potatoes, corn and beets (and other starchy/sugary veggies). I restrict my fruit intake to one piece a day because of the high sugar content. I have cut out breakfast cereals except ultra low sugar ones - Weetbix and porridge are my current cereals of choice.

As for protein - beans, lentils, peas, nuts, and grains have protein, as well as low fat dairy and eggs. Hommus is a great protein boosting snack, as well as itty bitty little tins of baked beans. And low fat cottage cheese on cheese biscuits - couldn't get a more indulgent and healthy protein boost if you tried!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    just cut the breads and pastas..

i eat more veggies, dairy, eggs, beans, nuts..they all do have carbs in them..but are lower than breads and pastas.
  • Katelyn_Look
    Options
    My goals are 50% carbs, 20% protein and 30% fat - today I am high on protein and carbs but low on fat and sugar compared to my goals. Friend me if you want to see my diary and see how I keep the carbs and sugars down.

Eating lots of vegetables is a great thing to do, as long as you limit potatoes, corn and beets (and other starchy/sugary veggies). I restrict my fruit intake to one piece a day because of the high sugar content. I have cut out breakfast cereals except ultra low sugar ones - Weetbix and porridge are my current cereals of choice.

As for protein - beans, lentils, peas, nuts, and grains have protein, as well as low fat dairy and eggs. Hommus is a great protein boosting snack, as well as itty bitty little tins of baked beans. And low fat cottage cheese on cheese biscuits - couldn't get a more indulgent and healthy protein boost if you tried!

Added you!

Do you eat oatmeal? I love steel cut oats so I'm trying to keep those in. Also, for your fruit content which fruits do you normally pick? I know bananas are the worst for carbs and I normally add those to the protein shakes I drink. :/
  • AnneHj
    AnneHj Posts: 2
    Options
    I keep my carbs at 40%, no problem.

Daily: Plain greek yogurt, beans, raw seeds, raw nuts, cottage cheese, organic eggs, quinoa or bulgur, krill oil supplement.
    Once/twice a week: cheese, tofu.
    Twice a month: salmon.
    I generally stay away from "fake meat" products. I don't think they are healthy for you.

For healthy carbs: lots of dark, leafy greens, berries, sweet potatoes, etc.

No bread, pasta, cereal or dairy milk.
  • gradmonkey
    gradmonkey Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Quinoa has protein! So does nuts and dairy. Add them where you can! Don't let the fat content of cheese scare you away. Adding a bit of cheese to my meals always helped me stay full.