Hungry Girl Growing Oatmeal

Options
http://www.hungry-girl.com/show/rise-and-dine-growing-oatmeal-bowl-recipe

Just made this ( for dinner).......IT was good.

I added the whole apple- calls for 1/2- and increased the spices a little.

I used Truvia (stevia) for the sweetener, and added another 1/2 tsp of vanilla.

Great way to increase the bulk of the oatmeal and add only a few more calories.

Replies

• Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Thank, I love oatmeal...I'll give this a try!
  • aneajo
    aneajo Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Looks yummy
  • gmaanneliese
    gmaanneliese Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    This looks delicious. But 246 calories? That is almost a third of my daily intake. Any ways to make is less caloric but keep the flavor?
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    This looks delicious. But 246 calories? That is almost a third of my daily intake. Any ways to make is less caloric but keep the flavor?

Are you seriously only trying to eat 750 calories a day ?!?!?!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I use the same idea (I usually do it with water but it's even better with unsweetened almond milk as the liquid) and add 4-6 tablespoons of pumpkin puree and then using ground nutmeg, ground ginger and ground cinnamon (your typical pumpkin pie seasonings) to taste makes an awesome Fall breakfast treat.

Two tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa and a packet of your favorite sweetener is also amazing. (I add one tablespoon of the cocoa to the water so the chocolate cooks into the oatmeal, then the second one right at the end) I want to try this one with unsweetened chocolate almond milk but I haven't had any on hand for awhile.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I do something similar but I use 1/3 cup rolled oats, 2/3 cup water, 1/3 cup skim milk and either a small banana or 1/2 an apple or pear. And usually a sprinkle of cinnamon on top.
    This means lower cals, because there are less ingredients. I don't add sweetener because the milk and fruit make it sweet enough (now I'm used to it this way!).
    I've recently started adding a teaspoon of peanut butter too - I was pretty skeptical about PB in oatmeal but it's great!