What's the deal with Sodium?

Options
I have seen several people mention sodium and keeping it low and "great job" on your sodium. Things like that.

Why? Can someone educate me on sodium?

Replies

• meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I posted this on my diary where you asked, but I'll post it here, too. :)

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/NU00284
  • slickracer
    Options
    I am amazed at how much sodium is in food you eat out!! I am not really worried about keeping my sodium to a specific level but if you eat out at all it's almost impossible to keep your sodium levels anywhere near the RDA.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    High sodium makes you retain water. So it can mask weight loss
  • luvlite2
    Options
    Basically...it makes you retain water. That's a bad thing in a nut shell...along with other health factors...like high blood pressure...
  • Ruby11222
    Ruby11222 Posts: 114
    Options
    Although your body does need sodium, if you have too much it causes you to retain water. But overtime, having too much sodium in your diet is basically bad for your heart and entire circulatory system.
  • ansleya
    ansleya Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Sodium kinda gets a bad rep. It is needed actually for all the electrolytes in our bodies to remain even. We do need it. But not in large amounts. It can cause the body to retain water and often causes high blood pressure. The thing is...almost everything we eat has sodium in it. And it is recommended that we only have around 2000+/- mg a day. Many people equate sodium and salt as the same thing and it's not. So watching just your salt can be deceiving. Like anything else, it is good in small amounts :smile:
    Hope that helps a bit.
    ~Ans~
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I knew that I would be out in the heat doing a lot of walking last Saturday, so I loaded up on salt so as to not dehydrate. It worked, but I am now dealing with a 2 lbs "weight" gain. Sodium is good only to a point.
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Thanks all.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    My Dr asserts that limiting my sodium levels will help me control kidney stone production.
  • GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Recommended sodium intake for a healthy person is about 2300 mg daily. If you have an underlying health problem, like heart disease, it's 1500 mg. Processed foods, such as breads, cookies and crackers, soups, canned chili and stews, salad dressings, sauces, deli meats, frozen meals (even those labeled "diet"), restaurant meals, condiments like mustard, pickles, dairy products, and even some beverages can have exceptionally high sodium levels. Start tracking your sodium and you'll be shocked. Not only does excess sodium mask weight loss, it can make your heart work harder. A sign of too much sodium is swelling in feel, ankles, legs and fingers. I started tracking my sodium a month ago and when I keep it below 2200 mg, I see noticable results at the scale, my blood pressure is lower, and I feel better. Eating fresh fruits and vegetables, using herbs and spices in place of salt, and drinking plenty of water is one way to keep your sodium intake in check. Read nutrition labels before buying a product, and request salt-free options at restaurants.

One final note--sea salt is not a sodium-free replacement for table salt. Both contain nearly the same amount of sodium. There are salt substitutes available for those who crave the taste of salt.
  • Louieanne
    Louieanne Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I personally keep my sodium low because I realized that when I went over I had excruciating headaches! I have always had horrible headaches about twice a week but I haven't had a single one for a month, since I started tracking sodium. The one day I went over...sure enough a headache hit me about early evening. All this is just from personal experience and what works for me.