Suggestions Needed: Work Pot Luck

Options
2stepz
2stepz Posts: 814 Member
Mexican themed potluck lunch tomorrow... healthy suggestions? I'm tempted to bring my chicken chili.

Replies

• idiocracy
    idiocracy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    salad, chicken tacos, without the cream and cheese...
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    You can make a healthy dip with salsa, guacamole, black beans, and plain yogurt instead of sour cream. You could make your own version of Chipotle's rice (on skinnytaste.com).

I can't think of anything else.
  • SnazzyTraveller
    SnazzyTraveller Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I'd say go with the guacamole!
  • MlleDee
    MlleDee Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Taco Salad (Salad, FF Sour Cream, Ranch Style Beans, Low Fat French Dressing, Taco Seasoning, FF Refried Beans, Low Fat Cheese, and a few Baked Lays Tortilla Chips for cruch!) So yummy they won't know it's somewhat healthy!!

Or just bring a big ol pot of bean! Just boil them down with some lean cuts of pork, and go heavy on the seasoning. It'll be yum!
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Taquitos yum. My grandma makes the shredded meat, rolls them up in corn tortillas, and bakes them. Im not sure how you get them to get crispy or stick together. Olive oil maybe? Or fruit salad cut into shapes. Or homemade salsa.
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Baked chips (homemade is the only way to go on those) with homemade pico de gallo. Yum!
  • xwllflwrx
    xwllflwrx Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    At my last work potluck I made the Mexican Bean Salad from allrecipes.com and it was a hit .

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mexican-bean-salad/detail.aspx
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I made a bean dip... can of great white northern beans, blended with some cumin, cayenne, garlic, and salt. A no fat bean dip. Should have brought veggies for it...
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    We had one of these a month or so ago. I brought black bean salad with corn, tomato, peppers, etc. in a lime-cilantro dressing. It was a big hit!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    quinoa salad with black beans, lime juice, salt, pepper, cumin, thinly sliced/diced red onion and some diced jalapeno if you like it spicy.
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    How about Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Chips:
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=98075
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Taco Salad (Salad, FF Sour Cream, Ranch Style Beans, Low Fat French Dressing, Taco Seasoning, FF Refried Beans, Low Fat Cheese, and a few Baked Lays Tortilla Chips for cruch!) So yummy they won't know it's somewhat healthy!!

Or just bring a big ol pot of bean! Just boil them down with some lean cuts of pork, and go heavy on the seasoning. It'll be yum!

Ditto. I make "refried" beans in my crockpot. The usual prep, rinse them and let them soak over night (or 8-10 hours), rinse them again in the morning and put them in the crockpot with water. Chop some onions and peppers, lean pork if you've got it, some seasonings. Let it cook for about twelve hours. The beans will soak up all the water and finally rupture (technically, they're bean curds, but they taste the same as refried beans) stir them around for the right texture and top with low fat cheese.