how accurate is the projected wait on this site

Options
if ur stayin in the green lol

Replies

• red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Not very. Don't use it as a guideline or you might get discouraged.
  • krayolasart
    Options
    awe :(
    well like in a averaging type of ordeal maybe?like if they 217-220 in 5 weeks will i be anywhere near it?
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Agreed, not very accurate at all. It basically assumes that you are going to eat the exact same amount of the exact same nutrients, do the exact same thing (not just exercise, but literally EVERYTHING including breathing has to be the same), and it takes out things that matter like water retention. This is one of the reasons why even though I log my food everyday, I never submit it. I hate that "if everyday were like today" message.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I've found it's not far off - but only if I consistently eat around those calories.
    I've tracked it a few times, or gone back to have a look and it's usually within a pound or so. It was more accurate when I was starting out and losing more steadily - now I'm close to maintenance so my weight is going up and down around the same amount.
  • krayolasart
    Options
    then whats the point of loggin in stuff
    im very confused
  • lumberjacks94
    lumberjacks94 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, it has been accurate for me. I think like any weight loss, everybody is different.
  • msjones2831
    msjones2831 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I agree, it was not very accurate for me and it did in fact discourage me--But I'm back up and in the game.:smile:
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    then whats the point of loggin in stuff
    im very confused

The point is so you can keep track of what you are doing, see where you need make changes, and if you are logging your exercise, it will show you your total calorie goals that you need to hit to lose weight if you filled out the questionnaire correctly.

The little message at the bottom was not meant to be the point of the website, but something to motivate you if you are doing things correctly. It's something that makes you go "OK, I am on the right track" rather than "I will lose 8 pounds exactly 5 weeks from now."
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    The wait shouldn't be too long.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    If the report says you are going to lose weight over time, has it come to pass that way for most of you?
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    If the report says you are going to lose weight over time, has it come to pass that way for most of you?

I think in general, if you look at it as saying you will lose weight over time, then yes, it does come to pass that way.

I think the problem lies with the website giving you an exact time frame for an exact weight which is innaccurate for a lot of people and can cause some people to be discouraged or even give up.
  • ZoayZoay
    ZoayZoay Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I like it. Obviously it's only a spot projection but gives you an idea of what would happen if you did that day every day. Some days would lead to fast loss, others not so much, lol.

In terms of long term predictive accuracy I've found the average of the predictions pretty good too.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I found not at all.
    Nearlly everyday for the last fortnight i was told that in 5 weeks i would loose about 10 pounds.
    So 2 pounds a week.
    But after 2 weeks instead of being 4 pounds lighter, i ended up being 6 pounds heavier.
    Not a clue how it happened, but it makes me confused.
    Am i eating too much?
    Who knows.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Mine varies wildly from what MFP predicts. But I always lose at least as much or more than it says I will on average.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I found not at all.
    Nearlly everyday for the last fortnight i was told that in 5 weeks i would loose about 10 pounds.
    So 2 pounds a week.
    But after 2 weeks instead of being 4 pounds lighter, i ended up being 6 pounds heavier.
    Not a clue how it happened, but it makes me confused.
    Am i eating too much?
    Who knows.

You may be eating too much or burning too little.

Get a digital kitchen scale for about $15 and weigh all your food. You'll be shocked how much you're over-eating! Also, get a heart rate monitor or take your heart rate manually and use a calculator to determine accurate burn rates.

I use http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I think it's intended to be aspirational, not 'real' in any substantial way. I like laughing over its projections...
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options
    It varies by person,individual. Mine tells me I will gain weight and I am eating according to what my body needs for maintainence, which ironically is 500cals a day more than mfp suggests for maintaining. I have lost weight in the last 2 mos, which according to the message, it said I would gain 8#.......so if I don't meet my 2650 I have a tendency to lose......I have accepted the fact that nothing is perfect.
    Prior to being on maintainence, the actual loss exceeded the prediction.
  • nosugarcoating
    nosugarcoating Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have always lost more than it told me, so it's not very accurate but at least it doesn't get your hopes up? Haha.