help! not much happening but sticking to the diet

Options
Hello all!

So my story is I gave up smoking 4 months ago and noticed the weight creaping on. I am tall (5foot 10.5) so always being just under 11 stone, size 8-10 I was very lucky to keep trim and not have to worry about my weight. I Have lost about 6 lb, but want to lose another stone to tone up and feel comfortable in my size 10's again (currently in size 12).

Since I have joined MFP I had noticed how much crap we put into our bodys and no excercise and have become hooked!
I found the first month or so nice and steady eating 1200 calories a day, and losing about 1lb a week. After that I noticed not much more happening even though i was still sticking to the diet. I then joined back at the gym twice a week, and still not much happening! Plus I do between 100 and 200 sit ups a day. It is getting frustrating sticking to a diet, excersising and not seeing any results. Can anyone help with advise please? Or friend me to give me the odd kick up the a**e :happy: I'd really appreciant it.

Thank you!!!

Replies

• lookitscaitlin
    Options
    might be harder to lose weight if you don't have all that much to lose, you could try doing the weight training, or whatever it is people do, to tone up. I'm not sure though, I have a lot of weight to lose, but everyone's goals are different :)
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    It took longer than a few weeks to gain the weight - it will take even longer than that to lose it! :) Perserverance and patience are what you need to exercise.

Addtionally - you don't need to do anywhere NEAR 200 situps... situps in general are one of the lesser effective abdominal exercises you can do and then put unnecessary strain on your back. Try doing the plank, scissor kicks, donkey kicks, crunches on a stability ball or crunches with a medicine ball (if you have access), the bicycle, flutter kicks, reverse crunches... you can Google all these moves, or you can check out online fitness resources for ideas. But essentially what I'm trying to say is, you can get a fantastic ab workout in much less time and effort than 200 situps; 2 sets of 12 - 15 for some moves is all you really need to feel the burn. One resource I really like for ab routines is womenshealthmag.com.

Hope this helps and feel free to add me if you have any more questions.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I would agree with adding some strength training into your routine. and be patient!
  • rhi_jones
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!

I am just getting a little frustrated as the weight has stayed the same for about 5 weeks now and the diet can get a little bland.

I do the sit ups on a gym ball in sets of about 25 with rests if that makes any difference? Smashlee1984 thank you for those tips, i will google them and give them a try!

Lookitscaitlin I have heard the 'last stone' is hardest, but wondered if that was just talk or from peoples experience?
  • lookitscaitlin
    Options
    just by watching those weightloss programmes , they end up losing a lot of weight and in the end, they have smaller numbers each week.
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Give your body awhile to adjust to the nicotine being gone. I think there might be a change in metabolism. Stay on the diet, don't give up or you'll gain for sure from not smoking. I gained 20 pounds after quitting smoking, so hand in there. Even if you're not losing, at least you're not gaining for now. Nobody that watches their food and exercises doesn't slim down eventually.
  • AngelUK
    AngelUK Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Do you take measurements (waist/hips etc)? How do your clothes feel? If you're toning up and adding muscle that could account for the lack of weight loss because muscle is quite dense and heavy.

It's not all about the weight - stay positive!
  • rhi_jones
    Options
    lap222 - yes you could be right about the metabolism changing ... I should be happy that its not going on ... thank you :happy:

Angel UK Unfortunatly I didnt take measurements, maybe I will now though. I know my trousers were feeling tight, but slowely getting looser (I think I need to be pacient lol)

These replys are very helpful and encouraging me to stick to it and be pacient! thanks so much!