Cost of Healthy Food vs Bad Food

Options
nikii14
nikii14 Posts: 403 Member
I cannot get over how expensive it is to eat "healthy"!! I'm not talking about a restaurant. Just going to the grocery store to buy fruits and veggies, chicken, healthy snacks, cheese etc.....
It is so much cheaper to pick up a bag of chips or cookies that are on sale vs the healthy stuff. Especially during this economy ... So sad!
I'm not making excuses, but I'm sure this caters to the reason for people to struggle to lose weight! Just the cost of the food!

Thanks for letting me rant:tongue:

Replies

• nikii14
    nikii14 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I cannot get over how expensive it is to eat "healthy"!! I'm not talking about a restaurant. Just going to the grocery store to buy fruits and veggies, chicken, healthy snacks, cheese etc.....
    It is so much cheaper to pick up a bag of chips or cookies that are on sale vs the healthy stuff. Especially during this economy ... So sad!
    I'm not making excuses, but I'm sure this caters to the reason for people to struggle to lose weight! Just the cost of the food!

Thanks for letting me rant:tongue:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    A lot of people claim this, but I have to disagree. Due to portion sizes, and no more buying of processed, prepackaged foods, I find "healthy" groceries much more affordable. Fresh fruits and veggies can get pretty expensive but if you want for sales, buy what you can frozen, and chose wisely, it's not so bad.
  • bootilicious
    bootilicious Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I live on an island and everything has to be shipped here. The price of produce is out of this world. Expensive. I would like to eat some fresh strawberries for a snack, I don't think frozen is appetizing for a snack. At times, a small container of strawberries is $5.00, yet I can get 2 large containers of chips and dip for that price. While at work, I eat the strawberries and other people eat the chips and dip. Sometimes I would love to be eating the chips and dip, but then I remember that life is all about choices.
    So we spend more to be healthy. It is still cheaper than being unhealthy and living with high health insurance premiums later and lots of joint pains.... So the next time you go to spend more, just smile, it is a privilege to be healthy and it's great that we are making wise choices.

Best Wishes,

Rita.
  • Thamber
    Thamber Posts: 194
    Options
    I don't understand this ?? I eat mostly whole foods and cook myself. I live near my brother and last week ran into him at the store his cart was full of junk, frozen convenence meals......the price was very similar when we got to the checkout . My cart looked like a lot less food but it lasted all week plus some...he ran out of food early on.
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    I agree with Kerri, although I find it gets less expensive the longer you do it. At first, I would buy way too much for my family to eat in the week, and a lot of it went bad and we had to throw it out. Now that I'm getting better at gauging what we will and won't eat, it's not so bad. I also stock up the things that last a long time when they go on sale, so I rarely pay full price for them. I try to buy fruit by what's in season. It's a lot cheaper, and it always tastes better then. Oh, and I almost never buy snacks that come in individual packages, except for cheese sticks. Some weeks, I go to the store and only spend $30 and it's mostly fresh fruits and veggies along with bread and milk. We probably spend an average of $200-250 a month to feed a family of three.

I should probably note that I don't eat meat (just fish), although my husband and son do... so that helps cut costs too. Beans and tofu are a lot less expensive per pound than beef or chicken.

The best way to cut grocery costs is to plan ahead. Lay out what you plan on eating for each meal during the week, see what you already have, make a list, and most importantly, stick to it!
  • Thamber
    Thamber Posts: 194
    Options
    I also have to add this also... had very little money in my early 20'sand I was not fat??? Its portion control. I also made it as healthy as I could and I think I did a pretty good job. I would add frozen peas to my raman to get veggies lol.

I see people talking about the economy and expences but wanting to buy chips?? Im sorry but when I was struggling with finances that was a splurge...for the same price I could buy a meal or some canned or frozen veggies.

It may seem more expensive upfront but I can make more meals out of the stuff I buy...
  • indianagranny
    Options
    I also agree with Kerri. I found that healthier last longer and is even better. Cause of working nights, I used to buy a lot of frozen prepared meals cause it is quick but in 23 days, I am starting to enjoy healthly food. Stay fuller longer and feel better.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Try cooking healthy for a large, growing, family-- not happening in this economy on a shoestring budget. I'm with the original poster-- junk food, packaged, processed food is loads cheaper. You may be able to eat healthy when you're cooking for one or two on a budget, not when you're cooking for 11-- :noway:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to an article that I think argues the point more clearly than I could:

http://www.drgourmet.com/column/chef/index.shtml

IMHO, if you think of paying per nutrient, it's absolutely more cost effective to buy healthier food.:flowerforyou:
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    I have been using MFP for 7 weeks now and my grocery bills have increased dramatically....but I am still saving money. My grocery bills are higher but I have spent 0 money on fast food/restaurants/trips to the convenience store for cookies/chips/soda.

In the long run I am saving quite a bit of money.

(Also, if you are going to the grocery store and shopping as usual but just buying healthier versions of boxed/prepared/frozen foods, you will be spending a lot more money. When a company spends the extra time to market a 'healthy' version of their food, you can bet you'll be paying more for it.
    If you change your habits into buying a lot of produce, less meat, no prepared foods. Your bills will drop.)
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    my grocery bill has increased a little bit only because i am the only one in the house that dieting, so i still buy some of the chips and other things the rest of my family likes plus i buy the protein bars etc for myself. its a little bit more but worth it...
  • Clara
    Clara Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    The produce out here is very expensive. I bought Spaghetti Squash the other day, it weighed under 2 kg and cost me over $10. I could have bought a lot more pasta for that price. Healthy Choices, especially when you buy fresh raw produce hurts the pocket book. On the bright side, I feel a heck of a lot better eating healthy so it is an expense i have to budget for.
  • ChinChinchilla
    Options
    I spend alot of time in grocery stores for my full time job so here are my tips for making healthy on the cheap easier.
    * Buy seasonal fruit and veggies, if it has to take a plane or a ship to get to you it will probably cost more. Many of the staples like bannanas, apples and oranges are always reasonably priced where going for things like berries and grapes that come from south americal are always much more because they do not transport well that long way. Look to frozen vegetables for a bargain also these were frozen at their nutritional peak.
    * At then end of the day or first thing the morning some stores will reduce meat that is closer to expiration dates, there isn't much wrong with this if you are going to cook it immediatley or throw it in the freezer for a future date. This way it can be cheaper to buy lean proteins. Don't forget the good old stand-by of canned tuna or eggs which are always a cheap choice and a really good source of protein. If meat is costing you too much go for lentils and bean in thier dried form they will always be dirt cheap compared to meat. Buy frozen fish, this is cheaper then the fresh counter most of the time (by the way alot of the fresh fish on those counters is previously frozen anyhow).
    * The cost of dairy is rising so if you don't mind it for your cereal and stuff in the morning soy milk is often cheaper then milk especially if you always go for the expensive kinds like me "lactose free skim milk".
    * I find that taking the time to cook your own meals and portion out larger packs of cereals, crackers, and snacks is always going to save you money. Invest in some good plastic storage containers, or glass if you can splurge in that area and you will always be able to eat healthy on a small budget and on the go. Popcorn made on the stove top or just kernels poped in a brown paperbag in the microwave is one of the cheapest and whole grain ways to have a snack.

Hope you enjoyed my tips !!!
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    I agree. Right now, I'm living in China, so the food is very cheap - I don't know what we'll do when we move back home to the States. Eating mounds of strawberries just won't be an option!

If you live in Boston or close by, there is a cheap option: on Fridays and Saturdays at Haymarket, between Fanueil Hall and Aquarium, there is a cheap, outdoor produce market. I think it is mostly the stuff that grocery stores don't want to sell. You have to be careful, sometimes the stuff isn't good, but mostly, it's totally worth it. We used to go every weekend, and we would have mounds of greens for salads for every meal. Make sure you wash everything and pick out any icky bits before you put it away in the fridge. It doesn't have as long a shelf life as grocery store stuff, about a week, but that just means you've got to force yourself to eat all your veggies within the week - not a bad deal!
    9726172000 Posts: 428
    Options
    I work in a major grocery store and this is what goes on and why they have certain sales at certain times of the year.
    * Grocery stores go in seasons for there sales. About every 2-3 months as the seasons start to change so will the sales (example) Winter-beans, tomato sauces, chilli mixes ect.. will be on sale more often then not. This will be the same for Summer, Spring, and Fall items. it will just be different items for the differnt time of the year
    *At the Meat Department by 8 A.M the beef, Pork, Chicken ect.. will be marked down. Sometimes you can save up to 40% on that package. Also if it is summer time they will have sales on Hotdogs, hamburger meat, ribs ect. anything you can use for a B.B.Q and even the sauces.
    * Here are the isles you should avoid-The candy isle (it has more than just candy on it. The water isle, chip isle, soda isle.
    *Grocery store for many a years have done alot of research and have set the shopping isles and products a certain way. If you look down on the cereal isle look at where all of the kids cereal is. The kids ceral is at there level not the grown ups.
    *Have you ever wondered why the milk products is at the farthest part of the store? They want you to have to go through the whole store to get the milk because they know that more than likely you will pick up more than just that one item on your way up to the registers.
    *Freash fruits and veges are now being marked right next to the price per pound of where they came from. If the item is from somewhere outside of the U.S it has a big markup on it because it has to be shipped or flown in to keep it fresh. So if you only buy what comes from the U.S it will also be chepper on the pocket book.
    *If you have a Farmers Market near you I highly suggest going there to get your fruits and vege's. It will help out the local farmers in your area also.
  • cquick
    cquick Posts: 220
    Options
    everybody has such great suggestions, but here's another:

i've found buying grains in bulk at places like whole foods has really helped me out with expense! i used to pay $1.50 for a box of pasta (~14 oz worth)...now i can buy 1.5 lbs for the same price! that extra 1/2 pound of pasta might not seem like much of a deal, but if you calculate it out over the year, little things like that really save a lot of dough...

i used to pay around $75 dollars a week for my food, but now i'm only paying about 50$ a week for myself or less if i have a surplus of lentils, rice, or the like...it's taken time to get used to eating fruits/veggies in season and it definitely takes a lot of work, but it'll get easier as time goes along!

listen to these suggestions, they're all wonderful and took me forever to figure out on my own...

visit your local farmer's market, and bargain if you can! it's helped me fo sho!