FISH....YUCK!!

Options
Hello everyone! I need help.

I have a difficult time eating fish. However, I know that that it is essential for a healthy diet. When I was younger, my parents used to make deep fried bluegill and I could tolerate that. That recipe, however, will not lead to weight loss.

Does anyone know a really good fish recipe to take the "fish" taste out of fish? I know this sounds silly, but I could really use the assistance. I tried to make salmon baked in the oven with a little scoop of mayo and seasonings. It turned out mushy and tasted terrible!

Thanks!!

Replies

• asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Don't eat fish if you don't like it! You can get the nutrients from other sources (like avocado or nuts for the good fats f.i.). If your goal is to lower your meat intake, you can also have a look at vegetarian recipes!
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Ha, I could make a gay joke but I will refrain :P
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I will never understand why people want force themselves to eat certain food because someone says they are 'healthy'
    there are tons of other healthy foods , that you don't have to force yourself to eat something you hate
  • PrincessGlitterTush
    Options
    Take fish oil tablets or a multivitamin. ?
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Get a steakfish that isn't too fishy- Salmon can be pretty fishy tasting. Mahi Mahi is good if you grill it with some salt and pepper- sort of like chicken but better
  • geraldm55
    geraldm55 Posts: 130
    Options
    lots of other choices, if you google it you can find food substitutes for it.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I hate most all seafood/fish and will not eat it. The one kind of fish I do like is Swordfish, it doesn't have that fishy tatse but it's pretty pricey. I'll eat some sushi too.

Find something else!
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I know that some fish smell less *fishy* than others, I suggest you do a google search and try cooking them in different ways.
    I wish I could be of more help, but I don't have that problem!
  • ljbhill
    ljbhill Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I too stuggled with this and still do, to a certain degree.

I started with having smoked salmon on homemade pizza (goats cheese, onion, low fat sour cream-yum!) and moved to having it just on toast with some philli, red onion and capers.

I now also eat grilled salmon. My hubby makes it perfect!

Have you tried tuna? I've always liked that... if you don't than mix in a little may, dill and red onion. Delicious sandwich filler!

I've recent'y moved to making tin salmon or tuna patties, which are crumbed and fried with a tsn of olive oil.

I too, want to broaden my fish intake to include other fish (not just salmon and tuna) so bump!

Failing that... order grilled fish when you are eating out!!
  • jeeping_mom
    Options
    I agree with some comments above. Don't force yourself to eat it. I really never liked fish, but found LOVE mahi mahi and other light-tasting fish. It has to be fresh though, or I can't stand it. Some grocery stores have flash-frozen fish, meaning frozen right after being caught... and that's the only way I can make it at home. My favorite recipe is for mahi tacos. Tons of fajita seasoning on it, on an indoor grill. (Or outdoor, but cook on a piece of foil or it'll stick.)

Good luck!
    Oh - and to the peanut gallery who want to comment on Fish Tacos.... let it go :tongue:
  • ferg1911
    Options
    Eating different types of fish I quickly found out that if you buy low quality fish then you will get a cheap taste (fishy).
  • Pancake86
    Options
    Tuna steaks taste like chicken!!!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    This probably isn't what you want to hear, but sushi doesn't taste fishy at all! LOL

Also, generally, ocean fish is fishier than fresh water fish.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I hate fish too,and never eat. You dont have to eat things you dont like
  • slickracer
    Options
    Coming from a fish hater that wants to try and eat the stuff for health.

I just cover the stuff in spices.

The black eyed pea has a good spicy catfish. Torchy's has a good Tuna.

Strangely I found I can handle sushi. Especially if there is wasabi. The horseradish flavor covers all.
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    The firm white fish (cod, haddock, tilapia) tend to be less "fishy" tasting.

My favorite is to just pick up some cod (captains cut is best) and throw it in a casserole dish with stewed tomatoes - the acid in the tomatoes takes away the smell and any fishy taste, and it is hard to over cook, as the liquid in the tomatoes keeps it moist.

If you are game, give it a try - might make a believer in you!!!
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Go to a fishmonger (if you REALLY want to eat fish) and get a good quality fish, and ask the fishmonger how to cook it.
  • monikajj
    Options
    I don't like fish either -- can't even stand the smell when passing by at the grocery store. I take fish pills instead...the ones with no fishy burps!

BUT, my husband LOVES fish. So, about once or twice a year I will taste the fish he grills. He does a great job, but personally, I can only take 3 small bites max.

He explained to me that the freshest fish does not smell (as much) and the meat stays firm. He grills with lemon pepper and other seasonings he has on hand. As a fish hater, I am always impressed with his way of grilling it. But he insists on the freshest possible. I have no idea what types of fish he buys, but it's quite expensive -- he never eats catfish or other bottom feeders. That may make a difference, too.

Don't worry about feeling like you need to eat fish...go for good fish oil pills :)
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Tilapia is a fish that doesn't taste "fishy" (that always cracks me up that we want to eat fish that doesn't taste "fishy"--but I'm the same way). I either season it with Old Bay Seasoning and saute it in just a dribble of olive oil or I sprinkle it with some Parmesan cheese and bake it. The Parmesan one is my kids' favorite way to eat it, but they'll eat the seasoned one, too.

I agree, though...no need to eat it if you really hate it.
  • jlc1243
    jlc1243 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Salmon is a very fishy tasting fish, in my opinion. Try a fish that is less fishy, like monk fish (more the taste of lobster) or maybe a white fish like haddock or cod. There is always shellfish too--If you aren't allergic of course that is good for lo-cal protein.