Can anyone explain why this happens?

Options
Hi all, I am once again starting on my weight loss campaign and am exercising to aid the cut in calories. The thing is whenever I'm walking be it on the treadmill or just around the park/roads my hands swell within 30 minutes. I have to remove my rings before starting out as my fingers and palms really do swell up to the point they become hard to touch and tingle like mad. I make sure I drink plenty of water whilst exercising. Could anyone throw some light on why this happens to me?

Replies

• innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    It happens to me sometimes. I can't workout in my jewelry anyway, so I never wear it. For me, I think it has to do with the fact that I hold my hands at an angle when I jog, so blood flow's kind of skewed and fluid may be rushing to it? No idea, but it helps if I hold my hands over my head for a little bit. I look stupid, but it helps :)
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    It happens to me. In fact, sometimes I even get exercised induced hives. Its just a part of me. My hubs can exercise, and sweat so much that he loses 5 pounds after a workout, but I swell after a workout and gain 2 pounds EVERY TIME. But its gone by the next morning. Everyone's body is different :)
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Circulation and water. Try moving your arms back and forth or elevating them every few minutes. Mine used to do this a lot when I first started and almost never happens anymore, it should stop as your circulation improves.
  • moregrits
    Options
    This always happens to me when I haven't exercised in a long time. I squeeze my hands while I walk, after a few days my fingers stop swelling. Supposedly if you hold your hands up while you walk, your fingers won't swell. But I haven't tried that, because to me it is uncomfortable to walk like that.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    It happens to me. In fact, sometimes I even get exercised induced hives. Its just a part of me. My hubs can exercise, and sweat so much that he loses 5 pounds after a workout, but I swell after a workout and gain 2 pounds EVERY TIME. But its gone by the next morning. Everyone's body is different :)

Same here-- I blow up like a house. Drives me crazy.

But it's temporary.
  • maura1110
    maura1110 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    The same thing happens to me when I'm walking and my arms are down at my sides. I guess it's a circulation thing but if you keep your arms bent and up as if you were running, it helps a lot .. for me at least.
  • Jeannie5466
    Options
    Thanks everyone, sounds like I'm just 'normal' then, get me thinking I was special lol! Enjoy the swell everyone and thanks again
  • rhonda999
    rhonda999 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Just last week i started back walking after foot injury. My hands swelled up so bad it hurt... I drink about 12 cups of water a day, and stay in the bathroom!!!! I think the swelling is getting a little better. I have high blood pressure and wondered if that had something to do with it... idk
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I get it too - no idea why but it doesn't last long. Once I have cooled down I'm fine!
  • elsg
    elsg Posts: 21
    Options
    Happens to me, but I find it helps when I carry hand weights. Just 500g each, so not heavy, but encourages your hands to squeeze and your arms to pump while bent. Does that make sense??? It helps with toning too! If you haven't got weights, carry a couple if tins of veg. You would be amazing what even a little weight would do! Good luck! Keep pounding that pavement!!! xx
  • dawnrford
    dawnrford Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This happens to me every time I run. I don't run with any jewelry on because of this. I often clench and unclench my fists while running and this seems to help keep the swelling down some, keeps my hand from becoming tingly. I've never really worried about it as I've read various articles (such as those posted above) that say this is pretty normal. I have the same problem if I am on my feet walking around for extended periods of time. I just make sure I take my rings off before I exercise or spend any length of time on my feet.
  • cookc04
    cookc04 Posts: 71
    Options
    Yeah I often get this- sometimes when I walk I wear a pack just so I can hold onto the straps to keep my hands above me heart.
  • tinkerbella01
    Options
    This used to happen to me, I think it has to do with circulation and water. I found if I drink 1-2 cups of water before starting it didn't happen.
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
  • Soozee123
    Options
    I am so thick - please ignore my last comment about the bold type!!! My fingers/hands swell too......whenever I go out walking. I have learned to hold something, like a dog lead or keys, or a mobile phone..........I don't know why, but it works! Hope that helps, unlike my first comment!!!! xx
  • Jeannie5466
    Options
    Thanks guys, you're all brilliant and I will try all the different ideas and see if they work. This site is a minefield of info, why has it taken me so long to find you all? Slim girl on her way, hopefully this year Santa will see a lot less of me!