New Here. Any tips?

Options
Hello!

My names Denise and I'll be 23 at the end of the month. I currently weigh 211 and just started the gym about a week ago. I've lost a pound already! (Yay me! :P ) Anyway, I'm new to the whole weight loss ordeal. I was wondering, along with the possibility of new friends and supporters, if anyone could give any tips on how to lose weight, control urges to eat certain things, or anything along those lines. :)

Replies

• PrincessGlitterTush
    Options
    Well I'm going to add you cause our weight seems to be around the same. However, i can't tell you how to control those urges as I've slipped up twice today. Really bad day. However, Its so amazing to know youre losing weight, so JUST DO IT. Its the best feeling.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Adding you as well!

First, don't get discouraged! It's a long process and will not happen quickly.
    Don't deny yourself treats. Everything is ok in moderation, you'll find yourself preferring the healthier choices in time.
    Drink water.
    The dedication is totally worth it!
  • xsopredictablex
    Options
    Thanks for the adds! Also, I've already been cutting out the soda. I've drank waaaaayyyy too much soda. I know that's one of the biggest ones that hurt me. Haha. :)
  • lisa_lotte
    Options
    Welcome :happy:

I would say drink LOADSE of water (good for your skin too!) cut back on soda and make sure you count EVERYTHING when you add food to your diary (a lot of people forget to add things like salad cream for example).

It terms of controling urges... If I get a bit of a craving for something sweet in the evening I brush my teeth. Sounds weird but the minty taste of the toothpaste will put you off eating sweets... AND it's good for your teeth!

Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • airmazing
    Options
    hi there yup yup im adding you too .... friends on here are so important in helping you stay on track .... belive i felt like giving up the othe day i logged in and there was the messages from the day before saying how well i was doing and stuff i just couldnt let them down

your doing the right thing going to the gym and well done on your firs puond .. be shure to keep track of your mesurements too as some weeks you wont loose in weight but crack out the tape mesure once a month its a fantastic ego boost to watch the inches drop x

and one more thing ....
    good luck x
  • xsopredictablex
    Options
    Thank you guys. I appreciate the support. This site seems like it was definitely a great idea. :)
  • alliefairy
    alliefairy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I try to cook healthy things at home and have a collection of cookbooks that I like, mostly Ellie Kreiger and Moosewood Restaurant. I also like Ellie Kreiger's "Small Changes, Big Results" book; I feel she does a good job of showing how little changes over the course of a few months (such as starting to walk, walking farther, adding stretching and strength training, etc) add up to a healthier lifestyle (before you know it walking several times a week and getting enough fruits and veggies is part of your daily routine). Your local library would be a good source for the book and the cookbooks.

I also found a CSA (community supported agriculture) in my area so for the summer and fall I get a box full of fruits and veggies every week that I need to eat or I feel I've wasted my money!

As a final thought, whenever I get peckish between meal and snack I have a cup of hot tea. I keep a couple different kinds of herbal tea in my desk drawer and my building has hot water dispensers so this works for me.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
  • Zerbiak
    Zerbiak Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Welcome, I've also recently started and hopefully we can both reach our goals, Good Luck and keep focused! :smile: