How do you fit in exercise?

Options

Replies

• SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm I have the same issues really

I run with my dogs ..

Maybe every 3rd morning starting out get up an hour earlier and workout....you don't have to go to the gym.....there are loads of different options and DVDs to workout with at home..

I do P90x

What about your weekends?
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    OMG my new fav work out....buy a jump rope. Burns calories the quickest I've seen...per the calculator on this site.
    I can only do 1 minute spurts then 30sec break then 1minute and repeat until 10 mins is completed but I just started yesterday also....give me time and I will get better hehe.

But ya, I burned nearly 200 calories in 10minutes last night...it's quick and super effective. Try that.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I never have any down time. I get up at 5:30 in the morning go running for an hour. Then I get ready to be at work by 8:00, I also have three kids to make sure they get ready for school. I get off at 5:00, one son has football practice, I pick him up, my daugther has cross country practice, I pick her up, my youngest son, has baseball camp, I have to take him, and be back in 2 hours to pick him up. In the 2 hours, I go to the gym and vigorously go through the weights for the day, get another mile running in. Go back get my son, go home, cook dinner, we eat about 8:30. Then I clean dinner dishes up, do my odds and end things around the house that need to be done. Take a long hot shower and finally lay down in complete exhaustion. I don't have time to read or watch any TV. But, getting my workout in is more important to me. It will be easier once I am ready to just maintain, one day. My goal is to try to be there by the end of this year. I want this year's New Year's Resolution to be unlike any I have ever had. Normally, they are to lose weight and get in shape.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Sound like your problem is solved. Get up an hour earlier than you are now, or do it after work. And, there is also the weekends, baby...
  • jaxson1974
    Options
    Thank you all for your ideas, they are great! And hearing about other peoples schedules makes me realize a) I am not the only one, and b) some people have even crazier schedules then I do.
    Running with the dog is not an option unfortunately. She is super hyper, and when I have tried to run with her, she is all over the place.
    I will however make a commitment to myself. You are right, exercise is more important than TV (that's what PVR's are for right?).
    SO, I commit to myself I WILL get on my treadmill tonight for at least 30 minutes. It is DH's night to walk the dog, so I can jump right on my treadmill when I get in....AND I can watch Coronation St. while doing it :).
    You are all so inspiring by getting in workouts with hectic schedules. Good job for all of you YOU ROCK :)
  • mvidrine
    Options
    i understand its difficult to find the time but once you realize how to fit it in to your schedule it will be worth it! Im out of the house before 7am and not back until 7pm most nights, i have two kids with busy schedules. So this is how i fit EXERCISE in to my schedule - Mon- Fri come in from work change clothes and go run - on Saturday & Sunday's i wake up early mostly around 7am - I get up & go then. I realized that its not finding the time to exercise but finding the time to spend with my husband it may be 15 minutes of jogging or 30 minutes of jogging - either way the excerise time & the one on one time is accomplished!
    *YOU CAN DO IT - JUST PUT YOUR MIND TO IT - YOU CAN ACCOMPLISH ANYTHING*
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Maybe on a day off? I work out first thing in the AM, but I work evenings so I don't have to get up early to fit it in..
  • garysgirl719
    garysgirl719 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    You need to psych yourself up during the day for exercise after you're settled for the evening, or get up earlier in the morning. Find ways to incorporate exercise throughout the day.

I get up at 4:30, and I leave for work at 5:15am. I walk 1 mile to a further metro station to get a little more exercise in. I work all day, then I go straight from work to grad school. I get home at 9pm on a good day, and then go to the gym. After gym is dinner, getting ready for the next day, and showering before bed. It's tough, but it's doable. Just tell yourself the plan throughout the day. It gets easier as you go and get into a routine!

Actually, this isn't doable for everyone. There are different body rythms for everyone, and some poeple simply need more sleep than others. I do not function on less than six and a half hours a night. There is no way this schedule would work for me.
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Bring food that you can eat through out the day at your desk, then on your lunch break get a good 25 minute walk in and a potty break. Walk fast and you can get a good calorie burn.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    We have a schedule. I go to the gym on Mondays and Wednesdays and my husband goes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The night I go to the gym he cooks and vice versa. It works for us. I also wanted to tell you that you really just have to make up your mind to do it. I managed to lose 150 lbs while going to law school at night and working full time as a teacher during the day. I was able to fit in 2 workouts a day. I used the time that I had after class at 9:30 to hit the gym and the time in between work and class 4-5. I gained a bunch back because I stopped working out like that. You can do it. Figure out times that work for you.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I am having trouble fitting in exercise. I leave home at 6:30 am, and come home between 6:30-7 pm, then walk the dog, have dinner, clean up, pack lunch and THEN have my downtime (by then I am exhausted). Any ideas on how I can work in some exercise? My lunch at work is only half an hour, so by the time I heat my lunch up (microwave is on the other side of the building), get back to my desk and eat it, I only have about 10 minutes left. I would love to work out, but can't seem to get the time to do it.

get up earlier.
    once you pack your lunch, go to sleep.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Walk the dog uphill, or run the dog.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you're allowed ten minutes breaks during your workday, you could walk. Either in the halls or outside. Put some kicking music on that you love and go fast for a few. Even those little steps add up!

If you have an office or somewhere you can shut a door, you can also do non-jumping calesthenics on your breaks. I do desk pushups and tricep dips, squats, lunges and resistance bands on my breaks. Two 15 min breaks = 30 min of exercise.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I come home from work at 6pm, play with the kiddo, prepare dinner, do various chores, eat, put the kiddo to bed, clean up and it's usually 9pm before I have some downtime (during which I craft stuff for my Etsy shop so, yeah, half-downtime). I try to fit a short DVD work-out around 9-9:30pm (like 30DS for instance). I also walk as much as possible instead of taking the car or public transports.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I am having trouble fitting in exercise. I leave home at 6:30 am, and come home between 6:30-7 pm, then walk the dog, have dinner, clean up, pack lunch and THEN have my downtime (by then I am exhausted). Any ideas on how I can work in some exercise? My lunch at work is only half an hour, so by the time I heat my lunch up (microwave is on the other side of the building), get back to my desk and eat it, I only have about 10 minutes left. I would love to work out, but can't seem to get the time to do it.

I worked out this morning from 5:30 - 6:30 AM, but generally morning workouts for me are 4:30 - 5:30 AM. I leave for work at 6:30, pick up my son at 5 or 5:30 and go to the gym until 6:30 or 6:45, then it's home, food and LM bed time, eat my dinner, pick up some stuff, down time starts at 8:30 and goes until I pass out at 10. You fit it in by putting it into your list of priorities.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Maybe getting up an hour earleir is a bit much with your schedule, but is 30 minutes earlier doable? If so, try something like the Jillian Micheals 30 Day Shred DVD. It's less than 30 minutes, effective and when I do it early in the monring I'm half way through before I'm completely awake :laugh: I makes you really energized all day.

I also like the previous suggestions about jogging/running with the dog. You're out there anyway and dogs like exercise too.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I work a ton of hours and am always busy. What I had to do and now I love, is I get up at 5am three days a week and run and the weekends are for my long run and a cross training. I knew that if I put off running until the evening, I would never do it.

A few months ago I would have told you that it is impossible for someone like me to work out in the mornings because I like my bed. What I have to do with myself the mornings I get up early, I don't negotiate with 5 more minutes. The alarm goes off and I am up. It is the only way for me. I get my run in and I feel great and I have the rest of the day to work and then the evening to do whatever.

On a different note, I was reading an article this morning about how people say they are too busy to work out. What they suggested was working out in 10 minute intervals 3 times a day. That way, you are getting a workout in and feeling like you made the time for it.
  • MacSkillz
    MacSkillz Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    It may seem to be a lot, but if you really want to lose weight and reach your goal, you have to MAKE time. My schedule is some what similar to yours and I have been able to make it work. If I can do it, so can you!!

Here is a glimpse of a typical day for me:
    5:00am - get up, eat breakfast, work out
    6:00am - shower and get ready
    6:45am - 9:00am - commute to work
    9:00am-1:00pm - work
    1:00pm-2:00pm - lunch break = gym
    2:00pm-5:00pm - eat lunch and work
    5:00pm - 7:15pm - commute home
    7:30pm - dinner
    8:00pm - get food and clothes ready for the next day
    8:30pm - workout while watching either TV or my fiance play video games (lol)
    9:30pm - relax -
    10:30 or 11:00pm - bed

Not having time is only an excuse. If you are really serious about it, you will learn that you DO have time. You just need to either 1) make it, or 2) find it. I never used to get up earlier than 6:00am. But then realized that would be a great time to work out. Not only is it a good time, you feel amazing afterwards! It really helps me to get energized and get moving for the rest of the day. It's natural caffeine! haha
    I hope that you are able to figure something out!! Good luck!!
  • dchris99
    dchris99 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    That is a tight schedule, mine is about the same but runs later I leave at 7:30 & go nontop until about 10pm, I have to fit the gym in at 6am. For you I don't think this is an option; so here are a few tricks I have learned, do short 15 minutes or less worth of exercise, a walk, stairs, wall push ups & squats in your office or the restroom, situps, jumping jacks, just a quick burst of 10-50. When you can; starting from the minute you wake up, you won't believe the difference it will make in your energy. When I am not going to the gym, I try to do 50 push ups, sit ups, & squats the second my feet hit the floor. & I do something evey break I take at work. I do calf raises & squats at the microwave. In the beginning I got funny looks but now everyone is used to it. Good Luck, I hope this helps.

Dawn
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Walking the dog can be your exercise ---- just go faster and a little farther --- turn it into a run if you like but fast walking is just as good!