Looking for Portsmouth Hospital, Portsmouth, NH bariatric pa

Hi. I am a 141lbs overweight, morbidly obese, 46-year-old male currently going through the bariatric program at Portsmouth Hospital in Portsmouth, NH. I am preparing for one of the surgeries, and I have lost 2lbs of the required 14lbs to meet with the surgeon. I would like to connect with other patients who have gone through or are going through the program. Perhaps we could support one another as we all have similar goals to get this weight off, exercise, and improve our overall health. I"m not sure exactly how to add friends or members to my pages, but I'm sure I can figure it out quickly.

Thanks and I hope anyone seeing this is having a successful day!

Replies

• 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    My husband had RNY gastric bypass 7.5 years ago and it was a great thing for him. He lost 145 pounds in the first year and has kept all but 5 pounds off. He decided he would do EVERY single thing his surgeon recommended because if it failed he didnt want it to be because of himself. Good luck to you! Feel free to friend me if you want to ask more questions.
    Deb
  • jlgilman
    jlgilman Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you Deb. My wife had a RNY in 2002, and it was a great thing for her as well. We had some difficulties though with a really bad infection, but she said then (and still does) that she would do it all again. She lost over 100lbs, and has been hovering around 200-208lbs the last several years. I am really struggling with whether I can handle the RNY, and I am not 100% convinced that I want to go through with it. I know at 46 years of age, and with my blood pressure and diabetes that I have to lose the weight. I also know I have been unsuccessful dieting on my own. So, what to do....I will have to go through it and deal with it. Lapband has low success rates. The gastric sleeve is an intermediate procedure that has been fairly successful, and it has less restrictions than the RNY. But, RNY causes the most weight loss, greatest change, and those who have little control over their eating habits are most successful with the RNY. I don't exercise, sit at computers day and night, and eat from suppertime at 5pm until I go to bed at 10-11pm or later. The evenings are a killer, and I love large portions. Eating what is set before me is not a problem even when it is a large restaurant portion. If I could only control what goes into my mouth, the amount that goes in, and the frequency then I would be all set. Then again, so would everyone else. Thanks for reply. I am glad that your husband has done so well. That is terrific. And, it looks like you're on your way down as well. Congratuations on your 9lb weight loss.
  • 12skipafew99100
    Thanks, my weight loss has totally stalled because I have not been diligent.
    Let us know if you go through with it. I'd love to follow your progress.
    Best wishes,
    Deb
  • Taryn1627
    Taryn1627 Posts: 118 Member
    I had the lap band done in April and I've lost 41 pounds so far. It's not that it isn't successful, it's just that you lose weight more slowly and you really have to do exercise or it's not going to work. With the lap band your body still absorbs all the nutrients of your food and with gastric bypass it doesn't. Any option is awesome, just make the right decision for you! :-)
  • 12skipafew99100
    I had the lap band done in April and I've lost 41 pounds so far. It's not that it isn't successful, it's just that you lose weight more slowly and you really have to do exercise or it's not going to work. With the lap band your body still absorbs all the nutrients of your food and with gastric bypass it doesn't. Any option is awesome, just make the right decision for you! :-)

Congratulations on your lap band and your weight loss!