If you won the lottery, what would you do???

JennS19
JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
edited October 3 in Chit-Chat
Would you quit your job, keep working, buy a bunch of new cars or houses, Go to Disney World?

For me I would definitley quit my job, I've always wanted to be a stay at home mom. I would give a lot to our church and make other donations. Build a new house, take a vacation with the family and a honeymoon that my husband and I never got.

What about you?

Replies

• DanishD
    DanishD Posts: 6 Member
    I would buy a big boat, live on the ocean and travel the world!
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    I would quit my job to become a volunteer for the charity I am passionate about - HDSA. With the money, I would finally buy a house, a better car, get out of debt, etc.
  • ncwingnut71
    ncwingnut71 Posts: 292 Member
    Keep my job - I love my job and the people here. Plus, I would be BORED!!!

Pay off my mom's and my mother-in-law's bills/houses.

Pay off our house and buy my mother-in-law's house here in NC (she bought a house in Florida and plans to move to it next year). Give our house to my 2 kids. (they are in college)

Hmmmm...and invest the rest. That's pretty much it.

Oh, and go on a cruise. I have always wanted to do that.
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Go on vacation
    Buy new cars
    Maybe buy a house
    Buy some new clothes
    Put the rest in the bank!
  • shybelle
    shybelle Posts: 254 Member
    I would:

Pay off my student loans
    Get a brand new car
    Buy my mother a new house and help her get out of debt

Tithe
    give to charity
    save/invest
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    1. Hire lawyer and financial advisor before ANYTHING
    2. Offer ex enough money and a house to find work in NJ so I'm not stuck here
    3. Cruise for all my family and friends
    4. Pay off debts of my parents, brother, and ex(cause i'm sweet)
    5.Purchase and furnish nice house
    6. Excellent private school for kids, put away money for their college and their cousins(ex hubbys side) college
    7. Wedding where Billy Joel performs

if I have enough after that, I won't go back to work
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    I would pay off our debt (house, car) and likely buy some new clothes. I would buy my parents each a house or trailer or whatever they wanted, and set aside a bit for my little brother when he becomes old enough to understand the idea of budgeting.

I would take a month or two off of work and buy a puppy, train him up good. I would finish all my housework that I wanted to get doen for what feels like forever (build a garden, a fire pit, clear up the front yard, etc.)

I would not squander the money on things like cars and drugs and gambling. I'd likely save up a good bit and not touch it. Heck, maybe I would quit my job and just continue in college job-free. That would be lovely!

I have dreams of being a housewife... but I'm not even a wife. So until then, I will continue my education :)
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    It would depend on how much I won. A lottery of a few million I would not quit my job. A million dollars doesn't go as far as it used to these days. If it was a huge amount (i.e. over 100 million) then I would probably turn in my 2 weeks notice at my job (I can't just quit and burn bridges like that) but I don't think I would ever stop actually working. I would do more volunteer work. I would also do things for me like travel, get out of debt (blasted student loans!), and build my dream house. I would also give money to my family and pay off my best friend's debts as well. I would love, love, love to be able to walk into her house and say come with me and then drive to the bank and write a check to pay off her house and help her and her family get back on their feet after they lost everything to a house fire a few years ago.
  • ursy87
    ursy87 Posts: 287
    Pay of debts, buy an old farmhouse that needs done up with some land, build a horse and donkey sanctuary, with a tearoom attached. Give money to friends and family that need a hand, put money away for the kids when they go to/finish uni or college.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Thank God for the windfall
    Tithe 10%
    Quit work
    Buy our church the youth center they hav been dreaming about for 2 years
    Give some money to all of our immediate family members (8 of them)
    Start college funds for the kids (our as well as the nieces/nephews)
    Pay off our bills
    Work full time as a volunteer for the church
    Go on mission trips 4 times a year.
    Invest...
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Not tell anyone...live my life, adopt, and give more. Start my own dream job :bigsmile: (if you know me one of my dream jobs is to be an architect for habitat for humanity)
  • Dustinryan24
    Dustinryan24 Posts: 233 Member
    split it 5 ways for myself, my brother, sister, mother, and father..
    then i would buy a nice house.. quit my job. that is all
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    quit my job..go to school

buy a new house

take the kids to disney world

buy an RV cause my bf doesnt fly
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    I have discussed this many times with family and friends. I would pay off our house, make any imrpovements that we wanted and then majority of it would go to family. I would also invest in playgrounds, sports activities, programs for kids in my city. I would still continue to work. If I didn't work, I would spend my time volunteering with kids in the community and schools
  • lenwie
    lenwie Posts: 240
    I would definitley quit my job, to be a stay at home mum, build a new house, take a holiday with the family and have a second honeymoon with my one in a million husband.
  • ursy87
    ursy87 Posts: 287
    I would also like to make donations to the kids schools, being an active member of their schools community makes me realise how little they actually have to work with.
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Easy Question,

1. Pay off mortgages(mine, parents)
    2. Take vaccation until things calm down
    3. Buy wife new car
    4. Quit Job and do something part-time & worth while for less money or for free (depending upon lottery amount)
    5. Get a dog
    6. Buy an iPad
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    depends on how much the lottery was....one million dollars really isn't that much.
  • Birdetta
    Birdetta Posts: 6 Member
    Buy a few nice rental places that make over there own payment. Maybe a apartment complex, or more. Than with that money I would buy a four wheeler.
  • I would definitely help pay off my family's debts (mortgage, student loan, etc) first and foremost. Then depending what I had left over, I would still work, I mean, I'm young, I'm only twenty... I would maybe splurge on one or two items of clothing, but I'd put the rest away and maybe invest, if my family and I decided that was the best thing to do or just save it. I don't need a lot of material objects in my life, so I don't think I'd be too bad at saving it. The only one I know I'd wanna spend a lot on is my wedding dress. But even that would be only like, $5,000. So yeah, not much to be honest. Just practical things for the most part hahahah
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    and I would try and live more "green"....with all that money I'm sure I could do it
  • BetterWithAge
    BetterWithAge Posts: 691 Member
    I would quit my job and go back to school
    Send my daughter to the Brooke's Institute
    Pay off the house
    Buy my mom a house
    Buy a new car
    Open a flower shop/nursery
    Invest
  • I would:

Hire a personal and a business financial planner (who deals with people with large sums of money and demand that every business adventure make a profit, regardless of size), an accountant, and put a few different attorneys (patent, business/legal, personal/legal, etc.) on a retainer.

Then I would expand my current businesses and have them do more of what they currently do with the newly acquired funds. I'd set some personal money aside as a "fall-back" plan, used only in extreme cases of emergency, which be ensure that my family wouldn't have to worry/argue about money for some time, while investing in my businesses/investments wisely.

I'd leverage my debt into a new home and a new condo (downtown, so I wouldn't have to commute as far to be with my companion during the workweek). I would be sure to purchase (NOT new, but) newer vehicles with respectable features that I've grown to appreciate. I'd be sure to make restitution to those whom I might owe money to (maybe long forgotten, but it's better to owe no man anything).

I would be sure to tithe on my income that is generated and make sure the needs of my church are met.

I would not setup college funds for my children, as that would be akin to forcing their hand to go to college before they have that opportunity to decide for themselves. Also, if I choose the right advisers, my long-term capital gains income should suffice to pay for their college tuition if they decided to attend.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,307 Member
    Start the commune. :smokin:
  • Katefab26
    Katefab26 Posts: 865
    This is sad, but I would pay off my outstanding debt (student loans...groan) and go immediately to grad school for opera studies!!! Maybe even get a teaching assistant position so I could save more of my money :-)
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    First of all I'd tithe 10 percent to my church then share the remaining with my kids and my sisters. With my share I'm buy two houses. One here in Washington State so I could spend part of the year near my kids and one in Illinois or Missouri so I could spend part of the year with my sisters. I'd pay off all my debts, buy sivler and gold, take a gun training course and buy a gun or two. I'd also buy a car and hire a chauffeur to drive it for me.

Oh and early retirement. :bigsmile:
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    How much we talking here?

1,000,000? Continue working, buy a house, go on vacation with the kids, help out my family, save the rest

10,000,000? Quit my job, buy a couple houses, cars, help out my family, maybe even my own little island
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Pay off all debt.
    Pay off all immediate family debt.
    Buy a house.
    Buy a car.
    Go back to school.
    Move to somewhere tropical and lovely with the love of my life.

I would still work or do some sort of part time job as I'd get bored not working.
  • Wow. You are nice
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    How much are we talking about? This does matter as to what I would do
This discussion has been closed.