If you won the lottery, what would you do???

Options
JennS19
JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
Would you quit your job, keep working, buy a bunch of new cars or houses, Go to Disney World?

For me I would definitley quit my job, I've always wanted to be a stay at home mom. I would give a lot to our church and make other donations. Build a new house, take a vacation with the family and a honeymoon that my husband and I never got.

What about you?

Replies

• DanishD
    DanishD Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would buy a big boat, live on the ocean and travel the world!
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I would quit my job to become a volunteer for the charity I am passionate about - HDSA. With the money, I would finally buy a house, a better car, get out of debt, etc.
  • ncwingnut71
    ncwingnut71 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Keep my job - I love my job and the people here. Plus, I would be BORED!!!

Pay off my mom's and my mother-in-law's bills/houses.

Pay off our house and buy my mother-in-law's house here in NC (she bought a house in Florida and plans to move to it next year). Give our house to my 2 kids. (they are in college)

Hmmmm...and invest the rest. That's pretty much it.

Oh, and go on a cruise. I have always wanted to do that.
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Go on vacation
    Buy new cars
    Maybe buy a house
    Buy some new clothes
    Put the rest in the bank!
  • shybelle
    shybelle Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I would:

Pay off my student loans
    Get a brand new car
    Buy my mother a new house and help her get out of debt

Tithe
    give to charity
    save/invest
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    1. Hire lawyer and financial advisor before ANYTHING
    2. Offer ex enough money and a house to find work in NJ so I'm not stuck here
    3. Cruise for all my family and friends
    4. Pay off debts of my parents, brother, and ex(cause i'm sweet)
    5.Purchase and furnish nice house
    6. Excellent private school for kids, put away money for their college and their cousins(ex hubbys side) college
    7. Wedding where Billy Joel performs

if I have enough after that, I won't go back to work
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I would pay off our debt (house, car) and likely buy some new clothes. I would buy my parents each a house or trailer or whatever they wanted, and set aside a bit for my little brother when he becomes old enough to understand the idea of budgeting.

I would take a month or two off of work and buy a puppy, train him up good. I would finish all my housework that I wanted to get doen for what feels like forever (build a garden, a fire pit, clear up the front yard, etc.)

I would not squander the money on things like cars and drugs and gambling. I'd likely save up a good bit and not touch it. Heck, maybe I would quit my job and just continue in college job-free. That would be lovely!

I have dreams of being a housewife... but I'm not even a wife. So until then, I will continue my education :)
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    It would depend on how much I won. A lottery of a few million I would not quit my job. A million dollars doesn't go as far as it used to these days. If it was a huge amount (i.e. over 100 million) then I would probably turn in my 2 weeks notice at my job (I can't just quit and burn bridges like that) but I don't think I would ever stop actually working. I would do more volunteer work. I would also do things for me like travel, get out of debt (blasted student loans!), and build my dream house. I would also give money to my family and pay off my best friend's debts as well. I would love, love, love to be able to walk into her house and say come with me and then drive to the bank and write a check to pay off her house and help her and her family get back on their feet after they lost everything to a house fire a few years ago.
  • ursy87
    ursy87 Posts: 287
    Options
    Pay of debts, buy an old farmhouse that needs done up with some land, build a horse and donkey sanctuary, with a tearoom attached. Give money to friends and family that need a hand, put money away for the kids when they go to/finish uni or college.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Thank God for the windfall
    Tithe 10%
    Quit work
    Buy our church the youth center they hav been dreaming about for 2 years
    Give some money to all of our immediate family members (8 of them)
    Start college funds for the kids (our as well as the nieces/nephews)
    Pay off our bills
    Work full time as a volunteer for the church
    Go on mission trips 4 times a year.
    Invest...
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Not tell anyone...live my life, adopt, and give more. Start my own dream job :bigsmile: (if you know me one of my dream jobs is to be an architect for habitat for humanity)
  • Dustinryan24
    Dustinryan24 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    split it 5 ways for myself, my brother, sister, mother, and father..
    then i would buy a nice house.. quit my job. that is all
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    quit my job..go to school

buy a new house

take the kids to disney world

buy an RV cause my bf doesnt fly
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I have discussed this many times with family and friends. I would pay off our house, make any imrpovements that we wanted and then majority of it would go to family. I would also invest in playgrounds, sports activities, programs for kids in my city. I would still continue to work. If I didn't work, I would spend my time volunteering with kids in the community and schools
  • lenwie
    lenwie Posts: 240
    Options
    I would definitley quit my job, to be a stay at home mum, build a new house, take a holiday with the family and have a second honeymoon with my one in a million husband.
  • ursy87
    ursy87 Posts: 287
    Options
    I would also like to make donations to the kids schools, being an active member of their schools community makes me realise how little they actually have to work with.
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    Easy Question,

1. Pay off mortgages(mine, parents)
    2. Take vaccation until things calm down
    3. Buy wife new car
    4. Quit Job and do something part-time & worth while for less money or for free (depending upon lottery amount)
    5. Get a dog
    6. Buy an iPad
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    depends on how much the lottery was....one million dollars really isn't that much.
  • Birdetta
    Birdetta Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Buy a few nice rental places that make over there own payment. Maybe a apartment complex, or more. Than with that money I would buy a four wheeler.
  • justaxletdown
    Options
    I would definitely help pay off my family's debts (mortgage, student loan, etc) first and foremost. Then depending what I had left over, I would still work, I mean, I'm young, I'm only twenty... I would maybe splurge on one or two items of clothing, but I'd put the rest away and maybe invest, if my family and I decided that was the best thing to do or just save it. I don't need a lot of material objects in my life, so I don't think I'd be too bad at saving it. The only one I know I'd wanna spend a lot on is my wedding dress. But even that would be only like, $5,000. So yeah, not much to be honest. Just practical things for the most part hahahah