If you won the lottery, what would you do???

Replies

• MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    and I would try and live more "green"....with all that money I'm sure I could do it
  • BetterWithAge
    BetterWithAge Posts: 691 Member
    I would quit my job and go back to school
    Send my daughter to the Brooke's Institute
    Pay off the house
    Buy my mom a house
    Buy a new car
    Open a flower shop/nursery
    Invest
  • I would:

Hire a personal and a business financial planner (who deals with people with large sums of money and demand that every business adventure make a profit, regardless of size), an accountant, and put a few different attorneys (patent, business/legal, personal/legal, etc.) on a retainer.

Then I would expand my current businesses and have them do more of what they currently do with the newly acquired funds. I'd set some personal money aside as a "fall-back" plan, used only in extreme cases of emergency, which be ensure that my family wouldn't have to worry/argue about money for some time, while investing in my businesses/investments wisely.

I'd leverage my debt into a new home and a new condo (downtown, so I wouldn't have to commute as far to be with my companion during the workweek). I would be sure to purchase (NOT new, but) newer vehicles with respectable features that I've grown to appreciate. I'd be sure to make restitution to those whom I might owe money to (maybe long forgotten, but it's better to owe no man anything).

I would be sure to tithe on my income that is generated and make sure the needs of my church are met.

I would not setup college funds for my children, as that would be akin to forcing their hand to go to college before they have that opportunity to decide for themselves. Also, if I choose the right advisers, my long-term capital gains income should suffice to pay for their college tuition if they decided to attend.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,307 Member
    Start the commune. :smokin:
  • Katefab26
    Katefab26 Posts: 865
    This is sad, but I would pay off my outstanding debt (student loans...groan) and go immediately to grad school for opera studies!!! Maybe even get a teaching assistant position so I could save more of my money :-)
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    First of all I'd tithe 10 percent to my church then share the remaining with my kids and my sisters. With my share I'm buy two houses. One here in Washington State so I could spend part of the year near my kids and one in Illinois or Missouri so I could spend part of the year with my sisters. I'd pay off all my debts, buy sivler and gold, take a gun training course and buy a gun or two. I'd also buy a car and hire a chauffeur to drive it for me.

Oh and early retirement. :bigsmile:
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    How much we talking here?

1,000,000? Continue working, buy a house, go on vacation with the kids, help out my family, save the rest

10,000,000? Quit my job, buy a couple houses, cars, help out my family, maybe even my own little island
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Pay off all debt.
    Pay off all immediate family debt.
    Buy a house.
    Buy a car.
    Go back to school.
    Move to somewhere tropical and lovely with the love of my life.

I would still work or do some sort of part time job as I'd get bored not working.
  • Wow. You are nice
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    How much are we talking about? This does matter as to what I would do
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Hmm, one of the first things I would do is get me a new vehicle, and buy me a house in a very nice area... and maybe seed money to start up a business of some kind. Then I'd put a bulk of it away in a savings account.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,850 Member
    go back to school, do what i wanted, pay off my debts, travel europe, and invest quite a bit.

oh and i'd own far too many cars. :)
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    I would pay off all debt first and buy the house I really want. Nothing ridiculous but new. I would make sure to have a lot of land and start my dream of having a boxer rescue. I would save the majority of my winnings for retirement/ old age. I would probably keep my job and so would my hubby. I would want to travel the world.
  • If its a big amount then I would pay off my sister's bills, my parents and mine. then I would have a house built thats big enough for my gf and myself and our 7 children. and buy us both cars. and maybe go on a vaction.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    So much greed in here...Lets say its substantial Mega-Lotto...

I would either find land and build, or find land with a building, develop a foundation for the rehabilitation of our homeless with a primary focus on veterans and families.
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    Pay off mine and family's debt.
    Buy my daughters a home.
    Donate to American Cancer Research.
    Christmas best ever for Grandchildren.
    Enjoy the rest of my life.
  • WickyR1
    WickyR1 Posts: 12 Member
    I'd pay off my mom's house and her debt. Pay off my own debt, buy a house (nothing too big), a couple cars for the girl and I, and a couple of my dream motorcycles. Then travel the world to follow MotoGP to each track through the season, and try to do a track day on each track they hit.
  • KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    First would be to give 10% to our church, then pay off my parents mortgage because they have helped me so much mentally and financially. They have been there for me through thick and thin! Then pay off all our debts, quit my job so I could stay at home with my 2 year old, do some research and donate to a few local charities, buy an SUV again (brand new fully loaded Tahoe), get my husband a new truck (Silverado 4x4 Crew Cab), and take a lot more vacations. The biggest expense would be to buy a house or build a custom one. I am tired of paying rent... we just don't have the money right now for a down payment on a home. I actually don't have anything crazy in mind that I would do because I would want to continue living a normal life... but just knowing we would never have financial problems again would be amazing.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Quit, give and travel all around the world for a couple of years.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    I'd hire a young woman in her early 20s. I'd pay her a remarkable salary. I'd give her the best pension and benefits money could buy. I'd give her health insurance. And she would be my personal ball washer.

There's nothing sexual about this. If you're an important person and you want to show off to other important people, what would be better than having a woman walking in front of you rinsing and scrubbing? Rinse rinse, scrub scrub... because I am an IMPORTANT CEO, and MY NUTS SHOULD BE CLEAN!!!

And people would see me, and they'd ask, "Who is that?" Who is that??? THAT, my friends, is my very esteemed personal ball washer. What did you buy? Another car??? HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAAA