Is it better to meet the calorie count or to eat less?

Options
Hi,

I'm just curious. MFP tells me I need to eat 1200 calories per day (more depending on exercise). So far I have eaten under the 1200 calories, and I'm afraid that may make me go into starvation mode.

So, is it better to eat EXACTLY 1200, slightly more (maybe between 1250 or 1300), or can I go under (I've been averaging about 1150). I'm curious since I'm probably jumping from eating approximately 2000 calories a day to 1150 a day. So far I just feel a bit hungry and tired. I'm just scared because my body's reacted to starvation mode before and despite eating a lot less calories and working out, I ended up staying the same.

Thanks if anyone knows the answer to my question!

Michelle

Replies

• kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry and tired, that's a good indication that your body is not getting enough fuel.

I'm eating all of my 1200 calories for the day, even if it means eating a few nuts to put me over at night. As for my exercise calories, I eat part of them most days, and some days I eat all of them. I've lost 10 pounds so far in about two weeks (I know that will slow down very soon to about 1 pound a week). But regardless of the scale, I feel so much better. I'm never hungry, and I have more energy. LISTEN to your body...if it's hungry and tired, it's trying to tell you something.
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Yo may get some aggressive posts here, but I sure hope not.

Basically, if you are working out, you need to add a little back in addition to the 1200 allotted calories given by MFP. Some people's theories are to eat all of your exercise calories, some people say to eat none, me? I say to listen to your body- if it is hungry, feed it. by exercise calories, I mean, if you work out and burn 400 calories, you are "allowed" to eat 1600 calories for that day. The more you burn the more you should eat.

I think paying attention to what you eat is the most important thing. Fiber and protein will make you feel full longer and won't convert right over to sugar- so- a snack rich in protein will stay with you longer than say, a saltine cracker would.

Listen to your body. Make good decisions as to what you feed it. Go by calories, but make sure they are good, smart calories- not empty ones.
  • kendernau
    kendernau Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    A lot of people say "at LEAST 1200 calories or you go into starvation mode", but from what I have seen, it depends. As far as eating your goal, if you are close to your net calories daily (over or under by less than 100 calories), you should be fine.

You have to experiment, as everyone is different. I can't see what your goals are, so I can't comment on how accurate 1200 calories is for you. Some people can go really low (<1000 net calories/day) without going into starvation mode, others can't go below 1500.

If you are not setting too aggressive a goal, and MFP has put you at 1200 calories, you should be fine anywhere between 1100 and 1300 per day.
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It is really hard to go into starvation mode,I dont eat all of my exerscise cals but i try to eat at least half
  • JillianP00
    Options
    If you can, try investing in protein, like muscle milk light, to take after a workout. Only one scoop with water is like 100 calories and it gives you extra protein and nutrients that will hopefully help with the energy =)
  • Maple669
    Options
    Lower your goal to .5 lbs per week....then your calorie count will be higher and you won't have to risk going into starvation mode!