I feel like I am a skinny girl, trapped in a fat girl body

Options
The way I see myself, before staring in the mirror is as a skinny girl, that I can wear tight clothes and look cute in tank tops and jeans, but as soon as I go to try them on and I realize my stretch marks are a dark color, or my muffin tops are able to be seen or even the fact that I can't buy whatever boots I want, because my calves are too big, really gets me down on myself.

I've been eating well, and lost 8 pounds so far since I started up on MFP again, but I still get down on myself and I try not to revert back to my old ways when I get like that. I don't see a difference, and neither does anyone else (obviously) but I am still trying and I am determined to make myself healthy and happy again.

Any words of advice or support would be greatly appreciated. I hope I'm not the only one that feels like this.

=(

Replies

• shanlizwalters
    Options
    Hang in there!!!! Youre doing this for YOU and not for anyone else.. You'll get there. You rock!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    just stick with it and dont give up, you will get there and yes I think we can all relate. You can do it. 8 lbs is a good start. When did you start mfp?
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I think we are our worst critics. I remember going to a 4th of July party...hoping everyone would notice my weight loss. I think I was down about 20 pounds by then...no one noticed...I was so bummed..but then I realized that I was still wearing the same clothes that was hiding the awesome job I was doing.

I think for me..the whole "wow..you have lots loads of weight"..comments didnt come until I reached 25 pounds lost...but I knew I was doing fabulous..I had lost loads of inches.

Hang in there...I think taking measurements will give you a huge boost in confidence...and remember..those who see you everyday..dont notice a difference..its those people who you see once in a blue moon that will notice..
  • Yellamoons
    Options
    Don't give up. You'll start seeing some results soon, I've lost 27 lbs and people are just starting to notice. It doesn't bother me because I know I'm eating right and exercising, so the results are showing to me. If you give up now, you'll never see the results.
  • mrdalton
    Options
    I know how you feel. I swear I am not that big until I catch an unflattering glance in a mirror. I feel like I am skinny until I go shopping have to go in only the "fat girl" stores. I get really pissed off at my fiance when he comments on cute clothes in the wondows because I know they dont fit. But yesterday I went to Lane Brayant and tried on a pair of sexy black heeled boots and they fit! (Sure they were wide sizes with wide calfs) but if I dont think about that I just found a super cute pair of boots and they fit. Shop where you can and try not to give it too much thought. I am sure you are on your way to regular stores. 8 pounds is a great acomplishment and youll be in an XL at a regular store before you know it. Much love and good luck. Add me if you want!!!
  • Mummsy
    Mummsy Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    One day at a time and no negative self talk. You are doing great and looking better each day. Hang in there.
  • robinrkirkland
    robinrkirkland Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Take those clothes and put them in plain view. Work it work it work it. In a few weeks those clothes will be off the rack and on your skinny girl body then the eyes will match the picture!

I've got that muffin top too, it squeezes out and my daughter says mom those jeans are too tight your fat is spilling over. I tell her yeah well it reminds me to work out tonight and not to eat too many fatty foods. Its going.

I know it takes a while. One day at a time but when that day comes that you don't have to jump up and down to get the pants on will the best day. You'll be walking on sunshine. Then you can say I'm one of those non-muffin top girls too!!!

Do it girl and don't give up!!!
  • dreamgurl2324
    dreamgurl2324 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    i'm right there with you! are you measuring your bust waist hips? if not start measuring i bet you'll see a difference! feel free to friend me if you like. You cando this! it is hard for you and everyone else that sees you all the time to see a difference. maybe look at pre and post photographs that might help :)
  • deja_blu
    deja_blu Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    No, you are a beautiful woman, trapped inside another beautiful woman. =)

5499814.png
  • dreamgurl2324
    dreamgurl2324 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    just another thought! sometimes people arent ok with bringing up weight for fear of hurting feelings..even though we know its awesome to hear that someoens noticed!
  • dbredenberg
    Options
    Take pleasure in the accomplishment. Concentrate on the gratification you get from reaching each intermediate goal. 5 lbs, 10 lbs, etc. Don't get ahead of yourself. Think about how happy you are when you do your workout every day, or when you get to the end of the day and you can post that you were under your calorie limit. Feel good about yourself every time you lift a weight you couldn't lift before or go a distance you couldn't go before. Take pleasure in the things about your body that are improving: the firmness of your biceps or quadriceps, etc.

Give yourself a non-food reward for each 5 lbs. lost. I like to get myself something that I wouldn't have gotten otherwise. The point is to pat yourself on the back because you did a good thing. Spend a little time every day just allowing yourself to feel good about what you have accomplished, and don't worry about how far you have to go.
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    yes hang in there, because you will get there dont stop what you are doing.
    If you stop think of it this way ..you will not lose and, you will never know! And this time next year you will be hating your self again.

Keep that in mind..if you KEEP GOING at it, you will be health,y strong, and thinner able to help others achieve there goals and you will be waring those cute cloths.

Remember it takes time to lose it, and it is a lifestyle, you wont lose over night.

Take a deep breathe when it gets to much and go for a long walk with uplifing music knowing.. the choices you make today will affect the year to come.
  • amyschaefer
    Options
    I know EXACTLY what you mean. I was fit and thin when I got pg for the first time 7 years ago. This summer I was 20 pounds over my original prepregancy weight and didn't even recognize myself. I decided to finally do something about it and started running again. I kept expecting to see my old body but all I saw was fat. Now almost 3 months later I have lost 17 pounds and am only a few pounds away from my original goal. It has seemed like a long, slow process but 17 pounds in three months isn't so bad. I can see my goal getting closer and I feel so much better. I am going to go for another 5 pounds when I get there because even though it has been hard it is working and I know I can do it...and my body is not the same at this weight after three kids and being almost 40. You can do it and your body image will match your body one day but only if you keep up with what you are doing. I know it gets hard but keep that body image in mind and you will get there!
  • FunFitFast
    FunFitFast Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, SO much. It is so nice to not feel alone.

Thanks for making my day, a little brighter :)
  • Real_Cool_Hand
    Options
    I feel the same way too. Lost 8-9 pounds so far, and I'll be feeling great and then...the mirror and the clothes. I had to go dress shopping for a wedding, and I almost cried in the fitting room on 3 different trips. I just hate the way things look on, nothing seemed flattering and I am stuck in between sizes.
    Kind of helped when I was being told by a few employees of one store that I was in a size waay too big for me, and I did fit in the dress 2 sizes down that they brought me to try. But I still don't FEEL that size.
    My pants are slowly getting bigger, and the scale is going in the right direction but it can be really hard to feel the change emotionally.
    I just posted about this myself this morning actually.
    One thing I try to do though, is think about how many nights I used to sit and eat burgers and candy and ice cream and take in well over 2000 calories a day. And I would tell myself I'd diet tomorrow, or work out tomorrow, but I never did. And to think that now I can get up and run 4.5 miles before work and enjoy a Greek yogurt over candy binges feels really good!
  • annetteslackmoehrle
    Options
    You are not alone and (almost) everyone here shares the same thoughts you do. Keep doing what you are doing and soon that 8 will turn into 18, then 28...

I have passed on buying boots for years and Hubby always has to point out "those are cute"! I get so mad but then realize he doesn't see me as I see me.

You can do this, and we all can help. :)