How do you train to climb a wall?

dmpizza
dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
edited October 3 in Fitness and Exercise
Next year I want to run in an event that involves at least one 8' wall climb.

What exercises at home or in the gym will help me accomplish this without building a wall in my backyard?(which I could do, but I don't want to)

I do belong to a gym.

I am a middle aged guy in decent shape.

Replies

• Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    I'd have to say pullups? I'd also say climbing up/down a rope would work. I assume the wall has a rope right?
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Typically the soft spot for climbing is your back. Pullups, pushups, and shoulder work will help. Other than that build endurance and core strength.
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Climbing a wall would require power moves to complete it. So think about the muscles involved in the climbing, and work those muscles out with emphasis on power. Flexibility training also helps.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    I'd study the free-running techniques and try to spot auxillary exercises to incorporate.

8' wall though, I'd expect either there to be a rope, so pure back climb, or not, which means a jump, grasp, and lift are involved.

If the second scenario, explosive jump training so you can make the distance, and then whatever that exercise is that has you pull-up, then switch your grip over to a dip, and press yourself over.

Edit to say DAMMIT WHAT THE HELL IS THAT MOVE EVEN CALLED!?
  • dmpizza
    I'd have to say pullups? I'd also say climbing up/down a rope would work. I assume the wall has a rope right?
    I don't think they have a rope. I didn't see any in the video. I think there was one piece of timber in the middle you could toe hold.
    It changes every year. Next year it may be shorter. I want to plan for the worst. So basically I have to to train to pull myself up and over quickly.
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    bump
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    check this out

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/

guy has a lot of fitness tips and routines for ppl that do not have a gym. most of it is body weight exercises, like pushups and dips, and pull ups. if you don't have a pull up bar at home, check out the one from iron gym. easy to use, no permanent instalation required.
  • Jeff92se
    I'd study the free-running techniques and try to spot auxillary exercises to incorporate.

8' wall though, I'd expect either there to be a rope, so pure back climb, or not, which means a jump, grasp, and lift are involved.

If the second scenario, explosive jump training so you can make the distance, and then whatever that exercise is that has you pull-up, then switch your grip over to a dip, and press yourself over.

Edit to say DAMMIT WHAT THE HELL IS THAT MOVE EVEN CALLED!?

It's called a mucsle up. And it's damned hard! That's one of my pull up goals
  • This summer I achieved a longtime goal of being able to climb a rope (you remember those ropes in the gym in high school? Could never get up them).

What helped me build the strentgh (via Crossfit and p90x) was pushups, pullups, military presses, overhead squats and CORE. Yes, I found out later my core played a bigger role than I realized as your core stabilizes you when you make the next move up the rope. I have to assume that is similar to climbing a wall??

Good luck and nice goal!
  • Jeff92se
    I don't think they have a rope. I didn't see any in the video. I think there was one piece of timber in the middle you could toe hold.
    It changes every year. Next year it may be shorter. I want to plan for the worst. So basically I have to to train to pull myself up and over quickly.

Holy crap. That means you have to jump up and grip the wall with your fingers then pull yourself up/over the wall.

I'd seriously train your grip strength and pull ups. And lose as much weight as possible. ie,,,Pulling up a 170lb body is alot easier than pulling up a 190lb body.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Google confirms your answer Jeff. Thanks! Agree with what you're saying about the training too.
  • dmpizza
    Thanks for the info.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    pullups, rows, lat pull downs.

Dead lidts for grip and forearm and explosive legs.
This discussion has been closed.