A little stuck here...

Options
Here is my issue. I've been on MFP since late July, which is my first real attempt at weight loss in my life. I work retail as management, so I'm on my feet a lot. I also do martial arts 2 to 3 times a week, which constitutes a decent portion of my exercise. I have lost weight, and I've noticed my clothes fitting looser.

My problem is I'm not exactly sure how many calories I should be consuming in general. My BMR is 1768, but in truth I have very little idea as to what that means. >< My calorie allowance on MFP is 1640. Since learning a little more about exercise calories, I've upped my food intake, but I would still appreciate help in figuring out what exactly I need to do. :p

My diary is public, if you want to see what I'm doing. I try to keep my food intake around 1400 or less, usually.

Oh, and since I did start keeping track of sodium, i definitely noticed how much over I am, and am working on cutting that back significantly.

Any advice would be most appreciated!! I've been looking through a lot of the topics, and just need some clarification.

Replies

• aliria
    aliria Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    It looks like you eat out a lot- but you still stay within your calorie goal. I think that sticking with the allowance of 1640 is good for a calorie goal for you, but maybe include more fresh fruits/veggies and less processed food from restaurants/fast food. While eating out is a lot easier and more convenient for someone as busy as you, it's worth the extra few minutes to try eating food that you've prepared. I work 14-15 hour days and find that making my lunch and snacks the night before works really well. I'll buy a bunch of lettuce/spinach and veggies for the week, chop them up in a big tupperware and then use it for lunches for the whole week. That way, taking salads for lunch isn't so hard to do.
    I know not everyone is a veggie fiend like me, so even making your own sandwiches or a big batch of stir fry, beans, etc can go a long way as left overs for lunch.
    Just a thought- best of luck to you!
  • AmberXenon
    AmberXenon Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    It looks like you eat out a lot- but you still stay within your calorie goal. I think that sticking with the allowance of 1640 is good for a calorie goal for you, but maybe include more fresh fruits/veggies and less processed food from restaurants/fast food. While eating out is a lot easier and more convenient for someone as busy as you, it's worth the extra few minutes to try eating food that you've prepared. I work 14-15 hour days and find that making my lunch and snacks the night before works really well. I'll buy a bunch of lettuce/spinach and veggies for the week, chop them up in a big tupperware and then use it for lunches for the whole week. That way, taking salads for lunch isn't so hard to do.
    I know not everyone is a veggie fiend like me, so even making your own sandwiches or a big batch of stir fry, beans, etc can go a long way as left overs for lunch.
    Just a thought- best of luck to you!

Totally something I didn't consider!!

I usually do try to make something to eat during the week...made split pea soup last week, this weeks it's beef and barley. I just got promoted to my position about 2 weeks ago, and I think that part of my current problem is I'm not used to the schedule, and I feel like I don't have the time to cook anymore. Which is sad, cause I LOVE to cook!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Less processed fast foods, they are full of fat and sodium. More Fresh fruits and Veggies. I know it's not always easy but it would be better if you could cook your own foods that way you would have control over what went in them. Grill a ton of chicken and veggies and you can have them for the week. Put them over 1/2 cup of rice. Add to sandwiches on Low carb low calorie bread. Thomas's light style or Pepperidge farm low carb breads are great. Salads are good with chicken, just watch the amount of dressing and skip the cheese and crutons.
  • Expatgirl
    Expatgirl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1768, but in truth I have very little idea as to what that means. >< My calorie allowance on MFP is 1640

When you put in your activity level I'm assuming that you didn't accounted for the regular exercise that you get and that is why your Base Rate is 1768?

BMR is basically your calories to maintain.

Go to MY HOME and GOALS tweek it around a little and see how it changes.

I'm 44 years old light to moderate on activity 5'9" and 177 lbs. BMR 2000 and calorie allowance at 1200. I've lost 7 pounds in the past 35 days. Friend me if you want.

Smiles
  • AmberXenon
    Options
    I guess another question is daily intake. My settings have me set for 1.5 pounds a week, and my intake limit is 1640 on a normal, non-exercise day. If I eat around 1300, will that make me lose faster, or will it ultimately hinder my progress?
  • AmberXenon
    Options
    My BMR is 1768, but in truth I have very little idea as to what that means. >< My calorie allowance on MFP is 1640

When you put in your activity level I'm assuming that you didn't accounted for the regular exercise that you get and that is why your Base Rate is 1768?

BMR is basically your calories to maintain.

Go to MY HOME and GOALS tweek it around a little and see how it changes.

I'm 44 years old light to moderate on activity 5'9" and 177 lbs. BMR 2000 and calorie allowance at 1200. I've lost 7 pounds in the past 35 days. Friend me if you want.

Smiles

I have myself on there as 'lightly active' as I work in retail. The calories I burn with normal daily activity is 2390 according to this.
  • aliria
    aliria Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If you keep yourself to 1300 you will lose faster at first, but then it will actually slow your metabolism. Losing weight quickly is dangerous in that your body goes into conservation mode and slows down. If you lose the recommended 1.5lbs/week it will slowly trick your body into losing weight at a constant rate and help you keep the weight off.
    Also- if you only eat 1300 calories a day, you will really pay for it if you have a day where you mess up or eat even 1800 calories. Your body will basically say "yay! food!" and hold onto the extra calories you're finally giving it.

It can be frustratingly slow and quick results are always nice, but long lasting results are much much better.
  • shelby623
    shelby623 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It looks like you go to Chick Fil-a a lot. Maybe try switching to their chargrilled salad instead of the breaded, that will save you 200 calories right there. And if you aren't too attached to low-fat milk, switching to skim can save you an additional 30-40 calories.

I agree with the poster about making a bunch of chicken at one time and using that for the week. You could use one of your days off (if you get any) and make meals for the week, you will also notice some $$ saving that way too.
  • AmberXenon
    Options
    Tomorrow is my first day off in 11 days, so I'll make up some stuff.
  • smackadoodle
    smackadoodle Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    When I didn't have time to cook vegetables, I'd order from a Chinese restaurant and ask them to steam the veggies, no sauce. I'd eat them plain or add my own dressing.
  • AmberXenon
    Options
    Made myself a nice salad and some manwich made with lean ground chicken..and feel pretty good about the entire thing. Thanks for all the helpful advice!