your favorite sauces/bases/condiments?

Options
I'm so sick and tired of eating the same old food, cooked the same old way, and instead of making a 20 ingredient recipe, I've always found it easiest to change something like a sauce/base/condiment in a dish to give it a whole different flavor.

I love Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce. I've also heard of something called sofrito that I want to try cooking with.

So gimme yours!

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Lizano sauce is a favourite of mine.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I keep homemade stock frozen and use it often.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I make my own sofrito, using a guide given to me by my Puerto Rican friend.

1 bunch cilantro
    1 head garlic
    1 bell pepper
    1 medium onion
    1 jalapeno, seeded
    1 chicken boullion cube (optional, omit if you don't want the sodium)
    1 tsp EVOO

Throw it all in a food processor until ground up, kinda mushy. Some versions add tomatoes. I typically don't, but if you do, don't add too much or you will end up with salsa.

I use sofrito in lots of things:
    Taco meat
    Black beans
    Mexican rice
    Chicken breasts
    Rub on a lean pork loin, along with spices (Sazon by Goya is what I use) and leave in crock pot all day. Shred and you have pork just to eat, or to use as sandwich filling, enchilada filling, etc.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I cook with a little olive oil

As far as sauces I have learned to really like red wine vinaigrette and balsamic vinegar.

On sandwiches I like:

yellow mustard
    spicy mustard
    Hellmans mayo with olive oil
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Frank's Red Hot!
  • Tonyajangel
    Options
    Siracha Hot Sauce, Hoisin Sauce, Chunky Hot sauce, Kens Steakhouse lite ginger, soy, and sesame dressing, Lite Laughing cow cheese wedges, salsa, milled flax seeds, plain yogurt can be mixed with dill and cucumber or a thousand other things to make great sauces, tons of differenct spices, Kimchi paste, hummus in different flavors, salsa verde, adobo sauce, chipolte sauce, mango salsa, olive tapenade, any type of chutney, fresh cilanto, dill, etc. I could go on for hours:-) I love flavorful food!
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I love honey mustard! It adds very few calories and is oh so good! Also the low sodium Dale's is fantastic on any meat or veggies. It can be found by the steak sauce in the stores.
  • _SusieQ_
    Options
    Not sure why we didn't figure this out earlier, but instead of using marinades on our chicken breasts, I invested in some dry rubs. Now we use different rubs (my favorite so far is called Cowboy Rub by Grillmates), wrap the chicken in foil and grill in the foil. Makes the chicken much juicier that way.
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    in an effort to sneak extra protein in where ever i can, i've taken to mixing a couple ounces of greek yogurt with whatever appropriate hot sauce i have (ie. sambal oelek, sriracha, el yucateco etc) to use as a spread on wraps, sandwiches or tacos.

and yes, sofrito is a wonderful base and i freeze the leftover mixture in ice cube trays for future use on busy nights (my recipe does not use tomato)
  • Schwiggs
    Schwiggs Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    in an effort to sneak extra protein in where ever i can, i've taken to mixing a couple ounces of greek yogurt with whatever appropriate hot sauce i have (ie. sambal oelek, sriracha, el yucateco etc) to use as a spread on wraps, sandwiches or tacos.

and yes, sofrito is a wonderful base and i freeze the leftover mixture in ice cube trays for future use on busy nights (my recipe does not use tomato)

Do you use regular greek yogurt, 2%, or nonfat? I've found the nonfat has been having a weird aftertaste to it when I try to mix it in with non-sweet things.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    The sofrito looks yummy...how do you specifically use it?
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options

Do you use regular greek yogurt, 2%, or nonfat? I've found the nonfat has been having a weird aftertaste to it when I try to mix it in with non-sweet things.

i use fage 0%; i even like the taste plain (but i prefer tangy/sour flavors to begin with)
    also, i tend to have a heavy hand with the spicy part, so that may kill off the aftertaste you speak of.
  • SheriKatieLynn
    SheriKatieLynn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you - I am soooo trying this and hoping I can squeeze it into my mini processor. Maybe in batches? Minus the bell pepper though, maybe a little tomato instead!
    I make my own sofrito, using a guide given to me by my Puerto Rican friend.

1 bunch cilantro
    1 head garlic
    1 bell pepper
    1 medium onion
    1 jalapeno, seeded
    1 chicken boullion cube (optional, omit if you don't want the sodium)
    1 tsp EVOO

Throw it all in a food processor until ground up, kinda mushy. Some versions add tomatoes. I typically don't, but if you do, don't add too much or you will end up with salsa.

I use sofrito in lots of things:
    Taco meat
    Black beans
    Mexican rice
    Chicken breasts
    Rub on a lean pork loin, along with spices (Sazon by Goya is what I use) and leave in crock pot all day. Shred and you have pork just to eat, or to use as sandwich filling, enchilada filling, etc.
  • _SusieQ_
    Options
    Yes, if you are using a mini food processor, just cut everything down to maybe half or fourths, and do in batches. I rarely measure things, I just throw it in until I think it looks or tastes right. :) I like spicy, so I use jalapeno, but if you don't like a lot of spice, leave it out.

@Soccerdot, I use it in my taco meat or as a rub for pork or chicken. Or I will throw some chicken breast in a crock pot with sofrito, Sazon (it's a spice by Goya, if you don't have that then some taco seasoning), a little salsa and let it cook all day. I then shred, and use as filler for tacos, salads, enchiladas. Or for a good side dish, add to a can of black beans to add some kick to the beans.
  • thegoodner
    thegoodner Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    my favorites are currently...

Franks Red Hot - the sweet chili is my fave, but the buffalo and BBQ are good too
    Hot Mango Chutney - in the Indian cuisine section at Publix. Excellent on pork or chicken
    Sticky Fingers BBQ sauce
    Green Enchilada sauce - I cook my chicken in it and it makes it soooo good.
    Green Curry paste in Coconut milk to make a sauce - it isn't "curry" in the traditional sense...milder and tasty. I use it on pork, chicken, fish, etc.
    Remoulade sauce - I use this on veggies, chicken, steak, etc but my favorite is in lettuce wraps with shrimp and some of the broccoli slaw you can get in the bag.

And I have to agree with rubs - on ribs, steaks, chicken, fish.... Old Bay is an easy fave of mine, but some kosher salt, pepper, chili powder, and small amount of brown sugar goes a long way in any recipe
  • ekball
    ekball Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's has a lot of great sauces in their ethnic section. Indian curry simmer sauce, Thai coconut curry sauce, etc. They can be a little calorie dense, so do be careful. Instead of cooking the food (poultry or seafood) in the jar of sauce as it often suggests, I'll cook the meat then add a little portion on top for flavor.