Am I drinking too much??

Options
Not alcohol.... water! :-p

I think I actually drink "too" much water... on days I work out I might drink up to 5 Litres, maybe 6....and on normal "rest" days I drink no less than 4Litres of water per day.

Is there such a thing as drinking TOO much water?! My coworkers are telling me I am overdoing it.

Im curious how much water you all drink per day?

Replies

• missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i don't know the formula, it depends on your age, weight and activity level. probably could google a formula. but overall, YES you can drink too much water. it imbalances your electrolytes.
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I'd drink that much on a workout day
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I drink about 64 oz a day, sometimes 72 oz. Haven't found over drinking of water to be a problem yet.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Not alcohol.... water! :-p

I think I actually drink "too" much water... on days I work out I might drink up to 5 Litres, maybe 6....and on normal "rest" days I drink no less than 4Litres of water per day.

Is there such a thing as drinking TOO much water?! My coworkers are telling me I am overdoing it.

Im curious how much water you all drink per day?

i get about the same, anywhere from a gallon to 2isn gallons a day
  • blh_1010
    blh_1010 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    On normal days (which I usually work out everyday) I can drink 4-5 liters without issus...it does depend on what you are eating, your weight, etc...so you might want to consult a dr to make sure you are ok. I always have believed that water is good for you, no matter how much (i mean don't drown yourself in it by drinking a lot of it at once, but spreading it out should be fine) but like I said talk to your dr next time you see them
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i drink 64-128 ounces a day.. depending on my exercise and the weather. you CAN over do it, and it will mess up your electrolytes levels and stuff in your body but it takes a LOT to do that. there have been a few cases of "water overdose".. but its usually in like water drinking contests
  • Nikkiham520
    Nikkiham520 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I would like to hear the answers to this, too. I have always drank a TON of water. I never even thought it may be too much.
  • nel0311
    nel0311 Posts: 248
    Options
    On workout days it is not that bad but i would still try more drinks with electrolytes.

On days where you dont workout, if you drink to much water you run the risk of flushing very important things that your body needs to fuction like in your digestion which could mess with weight. there is such thing as over-hydrating
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    You would probably know if you were drinking too much water.
  • Salpica
    Salpica Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Here is an interesting article concerning this: http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm

Now I have heard of a lady who actually died because she drank to much water. It was a part of a radio contest that the person who drank the most over a short period of time would win concert tickets or something. It was pretty tragic but something you don't think you'd hear about.
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    It is possible to drink too much water. you can risk depleting your salt, which negatively affects the way your entire body's system functions. If you are feeling well, then it is probably ok. just be careful. Your urine will tell you where you are on the hydration scale.
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Your body is really, really good at regulating water. Drink if you're thirsty, don't drink if you're not. The "if you're thirsty you're already dehydrated" is mostly BS.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If you drink too much water - you actually begin to have your internal organs shut down. Unless you are drinking the water very quickly, you would know before you got to that point. If you feel ok, not dizzy, gasping for air, swollen arms/legs, you are fine.
  • princessthecat22
    princessthecat22 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You can actually die from drinking too much water. Your pee should be a pale yellow. If your pee is completly clear and/or you are going to the bathroom every 20 minutes your are drinking way to much water.
  • miss_sarcastic
    Options
    The lady he is referring too^ died not necessarily because she drank TOO much water, but she did not urinate. The contest was for "who can drink the most without going to the bathroom," which ended up as to why she died. :/
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I easily drink that much on my exercise days. I try for a gallon (4 liters) on my day off, but never make it. Usually about 3 liters on those days...

There is such thing as too much, but as long as you aren't suffering the symptoms of too much water, you're probably okay!

Symptoms of Hyponatremia
    The early warning signs are often subtle and may be similar to dehydration and include nausea, muscle cramps, disorientation, slurred speech, and confusion. At this point, many athletes drink more water because they think they are dehydrated. Unfortunately, water alone will increase the problem of hyponatremia. At the most extreme an athlete may experience seizures, coma, or death.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/hydrationandfluid/a/Hyponatremia.htm

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/hydrationandfluid/qt/How-Much-Water-Should-You-Drink.htm
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Well a litre is roughly 33 ounces, and they say that you should drink at least an ounce per pound of body weight so if you're drinking 5 liters a day that's probably a decent amount over your body weight but especially with workout out, I seriously doubt it's a bad thing. Mostly the problem is when you drink too much in one sitting but like other have said it can mess with your electrolytes.
  • afwg1979
    afwg1979 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm

Use the water calculator (above web address) for your personal needs.

PS: I have read that one can, indeed, overdose from drinking too much water.

Moderation, as in all things, is the key.
  • Jendulin
    Options
    You should be getting about 8 glasses of water a day minimm 16 ounces is 2 glasses. There really is no such thing as too much water. As your body dehydrates your liver starts to pull water from your other organs slowing metabolism. So the more hydrated you are your liver can actually focus on burning fat and not where its going to get fluids from. Hope this helps
  • ddecarr
    ddecarr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    4-5 litres a day is considered normal when trying to lose weight. On heavy exercise days you need to increase that.