HRM help!!! someone?? ANYONE?!?!

Options
okay so i bought a hrm. not an expensive one but not the cheapest(40 dollar one). its a sportline S7.
the thing says i burn 15 cal/min sitting still!!! is that humanly possible!?!?
if not do you know how to fix it since i obviously dont know how to use it?
if so then to calculate calories burned do i take the 15x(min) then subtract tht from the total???
thx in advance :)

Replies

• ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Um, 15 cals/minute is 900 calories per hour, so I am pretty sure that is not right.
  • Li_Willi
    Li_Willi Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Your body burns calories all day long - even while you're sleeping. Try wearing/starting your HRM when you workout so you'll know how many cals. you burn during an actual workout. I stop mine after my heart rate goes back down to its original starting number.
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    You burn calories when you sleep, watch tv, eat and everything else you do on a daily basis. Its your BMR. I would only count the calories burned while working out.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Well you def don't burn 15 cals/min, probably closer to 1 to 1.5). HRM's are not accurate when not working out. I would suggest try it during exercise and see how it compares to MFP's database. The amount you should back out of an HRM is your maintenance calories for that time period. So say you workout for 30 minutes and your HRM says 400 calories, but your maintenance is say 1.25 cals/min, you would then enter only 362 (400-(30*1.25)) into MFP as cals burned from exercise as the 37.5 you would have burned had you not worked out.
  • NemesisJRM
    NemesisJRM Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Its possible cause your burning calories all the time, your body burns calories just breathing, circulating blood etc so yeah its possible.

BMR is what you body uses in a coma, so yeah Xcals a min is normal I think
  • padraigin67
    padraigin67 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    According to an activity calories used chart from John Hopkins sitting on the couch burns 75 calories per hour.
  • Troy67
    Troy67 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    That sounds a little high. Most sources I have found show somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 calories an hour just sitting. But it is true that the human body is always burning calories, even when sleeping; not many calories but some. There are many sites to look at if you just google it. Try http://www.caloriesperhour.com or any of the hundreds of sites like it.
    But as far as your HRM, if you have a high heart rate even when resting, you would naturally burn more calories. Due to all of my cardio, my resting heart rate is usually in the upper 50's. When I was the most out of shape it was 95 or higher. It is more likely 1.5 not 15, but the HRM isn't accurate on low heart rate activities like that. If you aren't actively doing some type of activity, don't pay attention to what the HRM says.
    As some have already said, calories like that are already figured into the BRM by MFP as far as your totals. Only chart calories burned working out or when you are up, moving around as some part of activity.
  • elmsallmissile
    Options
    Are you certaqin it isn't showing 1.5, those pesky dots can be quite tiny!