bread maker - anyone make homemade bread?

Options
I am thinking about getting a bread maker, is there a model you recomend or things to look for when buying one?

Replies

• AlissaPT
    AlissaPT Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Make sure there is a whole wheat setting and some have places to add nuts/seeds/additional grains. Also, it's nice to have multiple loaf size options. Sometimes a 2lb loaf is too much - it spoils quicker than store bought bread.
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    i've always wanted to make my own bread! unfortunately i'm no help though :(
  • lilly2709
    Options
    I have a Cuisinart. I love it!
  • angijunbug
    Options
    I am a bread maker! LOL! No, really, I make bread with my hands the old fashioned way & on the days that I do I log it as exercise in food preparation. I make multiple loaves at a time & I just freeze what we aren't going to use that week. Sorry, this doesn't really answer your question but I thought you may like an alternate idea.
  • redhead91
    redhead91 Posts: 251
    Options
    I own a really old bread maker that my MIL gave us when we moved. It's amazing! I don't know the brand, but it works like a charm. They are so worth it. My bread actually keeps for a long time and it tastes so much better! My advice is to try and buy a used one for cheaper.
  • ivikatasha
    ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I make my own bread all the time! But I do it all by hand, no bread machine. Kneading is hard work :smile:
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    My sister-in-law makes the most beautiful loaves of the best tasting bread!! I bought the same kind of bread machine and nothing I do turns that stuff into a loaf!!! I follow her recipe. I follow the package recipe. I follow online recipes and it comes out hard as a rock with no rising and raw in the middle. I finally sold it in a yard sale.....I was a total failure at it. Good luck with yours......if you figure out the secret...let me know!!!
  • sarahhnash
    Options
    I have a Sunbeam that I bought from Amazon a couple of years ago for around $50, and I love it. I used to make it by hand, but I found I just didn't have the time. Finally, my husband persuaded me to get this machine, and I'm so glad I did.

My tip would be to only use the dough cycle, then take the bread out and bake it yourself. The bread seems to come out better this way, and you can also divide the dough into two smaller loaves or rolls or whatever - the 2lb loaf it automatically makes is too big for me anyway... :)
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I made bread just the other weekend... I used my Kitchen Aid to kneed it... (cheater!) and just baked it in my regular oven after letting it rise for a few hours. It came out awesome.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    My tip would be to only use the dough cycle, then take the bread out and bake it yourself. The bread seems to come out better this way, and you can also divide the dough into two smaller loaves or rolls or whatever - the 2lb loaf it automatically makes is too big for me anyway... :)

what a great tip!