I need comfort food

Options
When I am having an exceptionally bad day I need comfort food. Something I can take to bed with me, curl up with a book and suffer silently. Usually I'd turn to chocolate or ice cream. But I don't want to anymore.

What do you suggest?

Replies

• Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I used to be addicted to chips. But for now, air popped popcorn with olive oil and light salt is a much better alternative.
  • mishmash73
    mishmash73 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    chocolate protein shake w/frozen yogurt?? that's probably as much of a cheat as you shoudl go.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Find a healthy way to prepare your "comfort" food. If you want chocolate...have a small piece of dark chocolate and let it melt in your mouth.
  • cheri868
    Options
    For my chocolate fix, I turn to Jello's fat free chocolate pudding cups. One cup seems to always be enought to satisfy my cravings. At 100 cals, it works for me
  • kimzing12
    kimzing12 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was also going to say popcorn. Yu can have the pleasure of putting a lot of little bits in your mouth but not eating 1,000 calories.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    freeze a banana, put it in the food processer or blender, add chocolate syrup - homemade banana ice cream. Tastes great too!
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I go for left overs usually. Chili So Yummy and it always comforts me.!
    Though If Im having a real bad day. I sometimes just clean out my angry or bake til I drop. Though then I have to try to avoid eating my baking. beet brownies and carrot cookies are just hard to avoid
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Get some fruit you like. Eat that instead.

If you still need the flavour of chocolate, melt a square or two of dark chocolate in the microwave and then dip your fruit in it!
  • lace0211
    lace0211 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    A great way to feed you chocolate craving. Cleaned up Reese's Peanut Butter Cups: Ingredients- 1 Scoop (chocolate) Protein Powder, 1 tbsp all-natural peanut butter, 1tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, 1-2 packets stevia, 2 tbsp water. Instructions: 1. Mix all ingredients together. 2. divide into 2-4 portions in muffin tins. 3. Freeze for at least an hour. 4. Enjoy! About 200 calories for the whole thing depending on your protein powder.
  • plagirl227
    Options
    Sugar-free dark chocolate Jello pudding - 60 calories per snack cup........
  • Beauty0619
    Beauty0619 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    yes, i was going to suggest the ice cream things too. I freeze two bananas and just add a little (1tbls) of water, or until it's creamy. sooo yummy!
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I like to turn to produce for occasions like this. Baked sweet potato fries are good if you want something sweet (or put them with ranch dressing for a saltier snack), so are baked apples with cinnamon and little brown sugar or poached pears.

If you make homemade hot chocolate (with your own milk, lots of unsweetened cocoa powder, and just enough sugar for it to be sweet enough for you) that can often solve chocolate cravings. Or, just get a 70% or more chocolate bar - usually just a couple of squares will fix a chocolate craving.

If I want comfort food and am not concerned about sodium that day then I'll make myself miso soup with some silken tofu and seaweed. Not very caloric or fatty, and with protein from the tofu, but definitely not low-sodium.
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!!!!

You guys rock!

I'll try those the next time I get a chocolate craving. ^-^

(I had a Reese's cup, the small ones. 44 cal and I am good.)
  • AlissaPT
    AlissaPT Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    No Pudge Fudge Brownies (it's a mix - all you add is 6oz of vanilla fat free yogurt).

There's even the "recipe" for making one serving at a time. The mint ones are REALLY good - they're fat free and about 120 calories per brownie. You can even add some froyo for a "brownie sundae."
  • skinnygirl49
    Options
    that sounds great- - the Reese Peanut Butter cups with the chocolate protein powder, I'll will have to give that a try.:flowerforyou:
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt if you like it. I buy Fage, fat free, and plain. Cut up strawberries into it, let it sit over night. The strawberries juice naturally and make it yumtastic.
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Oo Greek Yogurt with Cocoa Powder, Honey and almonds tastes amazing. Some may think it sounds werid but its really Yummy
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I'll definitely try those. THANK YOU!
  • FitBridget
    FitBridget Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    freeze a banana, put it in the food processer or blender, add chocolate syrup - homemade banana ice cream. Tastes great too!

This!! This is my new favourite ice cream! It's sooo good. Sometimes I add frozen berries or honey too.
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I always keep chocolate chips in the house. When I am having a chocolate craving I can put them in oatmeal, on a banana, or on a rice cake with a teaspoon of peanut butter and feel like I'm totally indulging.