PIZZA, PIZZA, PIZZA!!!

Options
KBGirts
KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
One of my weaknesses that is sure to derail my new found motivation and good behavior is... (drum roll)

PIZZA!!!

It's one of my favorite foods and has always been there for me when I am at home bored. It's so easy to get (you can order online and have it delivered right to your door!) and so delicious that I have always enjoyed and looked forward to having it. It's also one of those social foods that people eat when it's time for a party, so it has a happy care free vibe to it.

So here's my deal: I am currently eating all natural... thats veggies, fruit, beans, nuts, etc. Nothing out of a package, no wheat products, no dairy, no meat other than fish, etc. It's kinda like a detox thing for me in a way... At some point I will reintroduce some of those things back into my diet, but right now I am doing the natural thing for a while because it has worked so well for me in the past. I am doing really well, feel great, and am excited about my diet right now!!

My fear is, I will cave and want to eat some pizza and that will completely ruin me. So, because I know it's something that's hard for me to give up, and since it's good to reward yourself and not deny, I think I should be able to have it in moderation. If I make it at home, it is a controlled reward.

So.... can anyone help me with this pizza problem? I can add plenty of fresh veggies to my homemade pizza, make my own sauce (I have a recipe for pizza sauce that kicks all restaurant pizza sauces @$$) Since it goes against my diet, I can leave the cheese out, or maybe use something different that's more healthy..... goat cheese?????

The main problem is the dough. The wheat goes against my diet and I do not know how to substitute it with something else. Is this possible???? Does anyone know a pizza dough alternative that's not made from wheat? If not, does anyone know a recipe for the most healthy pizza dough that can be made????

I am excited about trying something that is diet-friendly and allows me to eat pizza. I am super excited about making my own pizza at home. Can't wait!

Thanks in advance for all the help!!!

Replies

• jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    This recipe was posted a while back, it's a cauliflower crust, but it does have cheese in it. I haven't tried it, but I'm tempted!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/130577-you-asked-for-it-cauli-crust-pizza-pics?hl=cauli+crust
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Try a gluten free pizza dough mix. You can probably find it in the natural food section of your grocery store.
  • JLervold86
    JLervold86 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    This one uses rice and tapioca flours, but is wheat free. I tried it when I was going through a gluten free trial a couple of months back and it wasn't terrible:

http://www.wheat-free.org/wheat-gluten-free-pizza-crust.html
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    This recipe was posted a while back, it's a cauliflower crust, but it does have cheese in it. I haven't tried it, but I'm tempted!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/130577-you-asked-for-it-cauli-crust-pizza-pics?hl=cauli+crust
    ^^this^^ I made it, It's awesome!! My mom loves it now too
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Slice some eggplant, top with a little olive oil, bake in the oven for about 8-10 min, or until slightly tender. Remove from pan, add your favorite pizza toppings and then broil until cheese is melted. So yummy!
  • 2knoxs
    2knoxs Posts: 81
    Options
    A few years back when I lived in CA and had a nice garden I would make zuccini crust pizza, I do not remmeber how exactly but it froze well, try looking it up if I can find the recipe I will share. I do know you shredd it like you would cheese, but I can not remember if anythign else went into it. GOod Luck. I love pizza too and with 6 boys its gonna be hard to avoid! You ahve my simpathy. :)
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    There are some great gluten-free/wheat-free pizza crusts out there. I know, because my dad has celiac disease. Search the web for recipes, and you'll find plenty of options!

I make pizza from scratch all the time! (but with a traditional wheat-based crust). I don't live someplace where pizza delivery is a possibility, but I make homemade about once a week. Sometimes more, if I'm being honest. :-) I looooove pizza!
  • RissaBri88
    RissaBri88 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    idk if it contains wheat but i make this lil homemade pizzas with my son, they come out to 205 calories per thing, and if u are looking for it in moderationg i think it might be a good suggestion for u because it could be a low calorie lil snack/treat.

pillsbury biscuits
    contadinas pizza sauce($1.74 at target)
    cheese

seperate the biscuits, flatten them out on a cookie sheet. add sauce and toppings to your desire bake like normal for biscuits. seems silly but they are good. and we just use cheese so its about 205 per biscuit pizza but again if u are looking for the pizza experience in moderation might be good. =]
  • HarpingOn
    HarpingOn Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I saw a recipe on here that made 'pizza' with a protein base by building it on top of thinly flattened out chicken breast.

Might work, haven't tried it myself yet, mostly because I've lost the page.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    ^^this^^ I made it, It's awesome!! My mom loves it now too

nutritional yeast instead of cheese might work.
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I make my own pizzas with tortilla's. I use dempsters low cal tortills 80 calories each. I put one down, add 1/3 cup of low fat cheese spread over it, then add another tortilla over the cheese...then proceed with regular toppings...bake in the oven...gives a great "crust" for pizza...
  • alexsgal
    Options
    i want pizza now...thanks :P
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    instead of pizza crust use a portobello mushroom then place your topping on it...yummy!
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I dont know where your from but here in Cali there are plenty of pizza joints. I prefer to just order there around 250-300 calories per slice from a Gluten Free pizza like "Flippin Pizza". Honestly for me the problem was with a pizza for me was moderation. You cannot just order a slice from a take out so if find one of these pizzerias that serve by the slice you wont be so tempted to eat more than the one or two slices. New York style tends to be the lowest on calorie simply because its less doughy and the local places here Flippin Pizza / Pizzacato use a lot of preservative free and natural ingredients...
  • mhopp71
    mhopp71 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I still eat a whole Jack's Pepperoni pizza once a week. I just make sure to be really good and take smaller portions during the day and then exercise for sure the next morning if not sooner after eating. I've lost 51 lbs since May 1st keeping pizza in my diet
  • meggamix
    meggamix Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Wow, checked out that caulif-crust and it looks amazing! My husband and I had a MAJOR cheat night just last night and I ate 3 or 4 pieces of BAD (but so good) pizza! I definitely want to try this!
  • emily773
    Options
    Hi! I have a few ideas for you: first, if you're worried about the calories from cheese, have you ever tried "real" Italian pizza? Not my favorite because for me pizza is about GREASE and lots of cheese, but I've been to "real" Italian pizza places and they just melt a few balls of fresh moz on them. It's mostly sauce and fresh basil or whatever you like.
    Second, here is a recipe for a lavash (flatbread) pizza that is lower-ish calorie. I made it for my don't-give-me-anything-low-fat-or-healthy fiance and he liked it. You could use your own pizza sauce instead of her marinara, or I just use tomato basil marinara when I make it. Also, you will be dissuaded from using too much cheese there because the flatbread can't withstand too much cheese!
    Good luck.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    One thing that I have learned for my successful dieting (60 lbs in 100 days) is doing these "replacement" recipes where you take a normal food staple and try to replace it with something else does not work for me. My brain box does not work that way, I have to have it if I want it. So, while the alternative might be tasty I always suggest just ordering the lowest calorie options / healthier options. Instead of the pepperoni order a artichoke or pesto or all vege pizza or just a plain cheese.... Covers the craving and still isnt going to kill you....

Remember moderation is the key !
  • emily773
    Options
    Here's the link to the flatbread pizza, oops!
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/09/lavash-flatbread-pizzas.html#more