push ups and sit ups

Options
I have never ever in my life been able to do a push up, my arms are so weak. I'm doing the JM 30 day shred and the only time I can do a push up is on my knees. On level 3 the girls are doing sit-up with no assistance holding their ankles. JM also works on on the core but apparently my core is very weak as well. These are the only 2 areas I cannot do and its so frustrating. My knees are bad so I won't be able to continue to do the push-ups like this and I've always wanted to learn, I just don't have the strength to do it. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do to get help in these areas.

Replies

• MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Start at one push up until you can do two and go from there. We all had to start somewhere. Don't put yourself down too much.
  • jagspal
    jagspal Posts: 75
    Options
    I have done her DVD many times I started out on my knees for push ups that seemed to help. Good Luck it gets easier!
  • amygibson82
    amygibson82 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I LOATHE pushups. It hurts my palms soo bad! I'm doing JM Ripped in 30 and there are pushups on it too and I just try to do as many as I can. Start with one and then the next time try to do two. You have to build yourself up! You can do it!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Do pushups against a wall or table, this will get you off your knees while you build up your arm muscles. There are a lot of core exercises that don't involve situp or cruches. Zumba has given me a very strong core and flattened my belly without ever getting on the floor. If you can find it, I suggest the Zumba 15 min ab DVD.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I agree with MZMiller. Start doing what you can everyday and try to do a little more every day you'll be in a very different place even a week from now. When I first started the 30DS I could hardley do one regular push up and could barely get through the modified. Now I can do about 10 regular pushups before I switch to the modifed. As for your knees, just make sure you are on a rug or mat, or you can even use a pillow.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    With most body-weight exercises, if you google em, there's easier variations.

I can think of about 10 for pushups alone. All will use a different % of your body weight as resistance, making it from super-easy to very challenging. Even adding a stability ball engages more muscles and makes it even more difficult.

I googled it, and here are some for people wishing to work up to pushups:

http://exercise.about.com/od/exercisesformusclegroups/ss/howtodoapushup_3.htm

:)
  • boopiejones
    Options
    instead of pushups, try bench press. it's the exact same motion, but face up instead of face down. you can start with a light weight and work your way up.

instead of situps, try crunches, leg lifts or lying flat on you back with your legs in the air and lifting your butt off the bench (not sure what they are called...)
  • melymj4
    melymj4 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My advice is just keep doing them. Start on your knees and keep doing those until you build your strength to go to your toes. Then do 1 or 2 on your toes and go back to your knees and keep going like that. Two months ago when I started P90X I could only do 3 on my toes and on monday I actually did 20 perfect "manly" push-ups on my toes. My personal best :)
    Just keep trying until you get strong enough.
  • QuentinHardage
    Options
    If your knees are hurting when doing the push up modified, then place padding under the knees and not go completely to floor. Yoga helps for the knee and building strength and flexibility doing Ashtanga Sun Salutations A. Try building up to 10, starting with one and increase each day, stepping back or walking at first instead of the jump back.

work at push ups after warming up with Sun Salutations each day building a daily practice, then of course rest one or two days per week.
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I hate push ups and sit ups! There has to be a better way....ugh
    I have yet to get through 5 minutes of the 30DS!
  • dshalbert
    Options

instead of situps, try crunches, leg lifts or lying flat on you back with your legs in the air and lifting your butt off the bench (not sure what they are called...)

I think its called a reverse crunch, but not sure.
  • dshalbert
    Options
    OK, Hardarwork45, you've gotten a lot of advice here! Keep us posted on your progress! I'd love to hear about it!
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    With sit-ups, tuck your feet under the couch. & do them every now & them though out the day. Same way with pushups. Do them on your knees with your hands a little farther apart. Pump out 10 every now & then too. Breath out on the hard parts of it, don’t hold your breath. As Tony Horton says, “Do your best & forget the rest!”

Hang in there, you got this girl!
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Start at one push up until you can do two and go from there. We all had to start somewhere. Don't put yourself down too much.

QFT.

I'm super jealous of people who can do pull ups. One day.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options

QFT.

Basically, the lighter you are the easier it is. You are already on that track. congrats man. If you can't do a free pull up, then trying to do one isn't the best way. Train on a pull DOWN machine. One that you can lock you knees under a pad. Wide grip, palms forward. Narrow grip palms facing. Slowly work up the weights. You can also try a pull up machine that has a weight assisted bar you stand on. If you need 10-20-30lbs of assisted weight, you can use that to help your pullups. Evenually you use less and less weight. Until you can do a few alone :). Then you do 1 set non-assist and 2-3 with weights assisted. Then work to 2 sets non-assist etc........

Also a pull up with a narrow grip with your palms facing you is easier. As it engages more of your biceps and a bit less back
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

QFT.

Basically, the lighter you are the easier it is. You are already on that track. congrats man. If you can't do a free pull up, then trying to do one isn't the best way. Train on a pull DOWN machine. One that you can lock you knees under a pad. Wide grip, palms forward. Narrow grip palms facing. Slowly work up the weights. You can also try a pull up machine that has a weight assisted bar you stand on. If you need 10-20-30lbs of assisted weight, you can use that to help your pullups. Evenually you use less and less weight. Until you can do a few alone :). Then you do 1 set non-assist and 2-3 with weights assisted. Then work to 2 sets non-assist etc........

Also a pull up with a narrow grip with your palms facing you is easier. As it engages more of your biceps and a bit less back

Yeah it's a work in progress. Cable pull downs are a part of my strength training routine. I'm up to 120lbs. So as long as that number keeps going up and my weight keeps going down, one day they'll meet up :)
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I'm also from the Seattle area. I go to the Y up at coal creek. I sort of have to do free pull ups as they don't have a good pull down machine I like. haha. Keep working on it. Nice lats is the key to the "V" :)