Holy LACK of Core Strength!!!!!

So I did 30 day shred as scheduled and decided to add some pilates ab work using a DVD called Pilates ABS produced by GIAIM and OMG!!!! I have no core strength and I was ony able to do about half of the exercises and I was following the woman doing the "beginner" version of the exercise. I did the best I could with the exercises and I was wondering if anyone who does pilates can tell me how it went for them when they first tried it? I know I am out of shape but I was wondering for example if I cannot do a roll up and i am only able to do role my upper back off the mat will i eventually be able to get all the way up and bend my self in half? ( Ihope this is making sense) Oh and I have 0 balance is that part of the lack of core strength and willit get better as I get stronger?

Yeah I seriously need help....lol

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Is this the one by Ana Caban? If it is - that is one of her most challenging. I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. Pilates moves get easier the longer you do it.

The roll-ups take a fair amount of practice. I started with pilates for dummies and progressed from there. "Teasers" are still challenging for me - I'm a little wobbly.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Bravo for giving it a shot!!! :happy:

Just work your way through it as best you can and you will improve. Don't push so hard you hurt yourself. Have faith in your body and a month from now you'll wonder what was so hard about it. :flowerforyou:
  • AliciaLucas_72
    AliciaLucas_72 Posts: 112 Member
    Yes it is and I knew it would be challenging I just needed to get some insights about the progression.. Are there any good beginner ones you may be able to recommend...any and all suggestions are appreciated....Thanks!!!
  • AliciaLucas_72
    Bravo for giving it a shot!!! :happy:

Just work your way through it as best you can and you will improve. Don't push so hard you hurt yourself. Have faith in your body and a month from now you'll wonder what was so hard about it. :flowerforyou:

Ha ha thanks I was pretty happy I even tried it I will keep it up to i may look into a DVD that is less challenging so I can work on my strength but until then I will keep working on this one.
  • ymca1980
    ymca1980 Posts: 4 Member
    Not an expert, but you can loop an exercise band round your feet to support your core as you roll up. Then gradually rely on it less. It might be good if you are able to try a class in person where the teacher can help and "spot" you. But it works muscles you never knew you had if you do it right. Have fun!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Winsor & Stott pilates are great instructional videos. Some of the really good instructional videos move too slowly for me. Maybe your local library has a couple of these.

10 Minute Solution Pilates with Lara Hudson is low intermediate, it's pretty good (Rapid Results Pilates is more intermediate). Another 10 Minute Solution DVD with Suzanne Bowen called Slim & Sculpt Pilates - this uses a band (one of my faves!) - I would say this one is intermediate as well.
  • AliciaLucas_72
    Winsor & Stott pilates are great instructional videos. Some of the really good instructional videos move too slowly for me. Maybe your local library has a couple of these.

10 Minute Solution Pilates with Lara Hudson is low intermediate, it's pretty good (Rapid Results Pilates is more intermediate). Another 10 Minute Solution DVD with Suzanne Bowen called Slim & Sculpt Pilates - this uses a band (one of my faves!) - I would say this one is intermediate as well.

Thanks