Commitment in relationships:

Options
amelia_atlantic
amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
I was talking with a co-worker today and found this an interesting topic. A lot of things ended up being the same. What are your thoughts?

What are the traits in someone that makes men (or women) want to commit?

What are the major turn-off traits that makes them not want to?

Replies

• JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    COMMIT: Loyal, confident, intelligent, honest, funny, good in bed, knows when to have fun, and cares about health.

NOT: Super immature (video game-aholic, binge drinking often, not caring about future), no respect for others (particularly women), can't control temper, lack of sexual drive, and not caring about appearance in public.
  • creatureofchaos
    creatureofchaos Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it seems like it's more the time than the person that makes people commit.

People often get to the point in their life script where they feel like they're supposed to be adults and then, as long as they aren't smacked in the face with a strong reason not to, they get married.

Strange but strangely true, if you look around.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Not Want To Commit: Y Chromosome

Seriously though:

I think wanting to and not wanting to has a lot to do with empathy and past experience. If you've been hurt, have hurt someone in the past, or could understand what it would feel like to hurt someone like that...you're less likely to do it. If you can't or don't care, probably more likely.

My $0.02
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    well, what made me commit to my fiance was:
    a sense of humor, being respectful to me and my family, his patience, and he's generally just very likeable. but the big X-factor was when we had been together about 2 months and my puppy got parvo. he sat, shivering in the cold because he let me wrap my puppy in his (brand new, very nice) jacket (this was a big thing, the puppy also had mange-we had literally found her in our yard a week prior) while i kept her hydrated with an eyedropper. The next day he helped me bury her. My rule has always been "you can be perfect for me, but if my pets don't like you-you're out the door." the fact that in 8 short weeks he knew how much i needed him to be there was enough for me to realize this guy was DEFINATELY "the one" . That's been almost six years ago :)

Now, as for why he's with me? I can only assume i'm hot because my personality is pretty abrasive, lmao