late night craving for snacks

Options
:grumble: What kinda of food is best to eat before going to bed If you got to eat something.
My problem has been going to bed and not sleeping well because my stomach says ;FEED ME".
Any advice?

Replies

• chchchangess
    Options
    oatmeal with banana! it always makes me sleepy and calms my stomach down if it's feeling upset.
  • melliebee
    melliebee Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You gotta teach your body to not crave food right before bed. You have to be in control. I have the same problem, but I have found decaf tea helps!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    To help you sleep, you should have a carbohydrate snack about 40 minutes before bed. Here are some ideas!

A mug of horlicks with milk
    One or two oatey biscuits eg hobnobs
    A mashed banana on a slice of wholemeal toast

DO NOT eat chocolate! It contains caffeine!

Going to bed with higher blood sugar levels is important! A hungry animal doesn't want to sleep, he wants to hunt.

Make sure that you are allowing / planning this snack in to your daily calories! They can be quite high!

Try to avoid fruits like apples, plums, bananas, anything that contains caffeine etc...

I learned all this after developing a sleep problem AND putting on weight too...

Recently posted a blog on this! :)

See http://harderbetter-fasterstronger.blogspot.com for more info! Entirely non-commercial! Just my blog on what I've discovered! :) Some top recipe ideas on there too! :) xx
  • deja_blu
    deja_blu Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    When I get hungry before bed, I look at teh time. If it's kind of late, I just go to bed hungry. Or drink some water.....then go to bed.

5499814.png
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I go for yogurt or a glass of skim milk
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Didn't mean to write to avoid bananas on that! Typo! Bananas before bed are good. By the way, my advice comes direct from a consultant psychiatrist who works for the air force. Feeding on carbohydrate at night before bed is good as it's not used by your muscles so much, but more towards repairs and energy for your brain which can really help with stress, anxiety and other mental health issues or non issues. Night time is brain feeding time! :)

Keep it as plain as possible and low GI as possible to help keep the blood sugar steady and relatively high throughout your sleep! :)
  • linda1243
    linda1243 Posts: 166
    Options
    Can I say that I love my Personal Trainer cause she tells me to eat before bed!!!

Of course, she has me stick to lean proteins - such as scrambled egg whites (which has become my favorite before bed snack). Or her other advice was if I am having dinner then save a small portion of it to eat later before bed.

Her reasoning is that I should eat before bed (not a lot of food though) because my metabolism is like my furnance. If I stop eating at 7pm and then don't eat again till 8am then the heat has gone off and the house is completely cold and now the furnance has to to rev up to get the house warm again and it takes a long time. Apparently we are trying to train my metabolism to keep working.

I really didn't care about the reason so much as i get to eat before bed!!!
  • glenbabe
    glenbabe Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    To help you sleep, you should have a carbohydrate snack about 40 minutes before bed. Here are some ideas!

Going to bed with higher blood sugar levels is important! A hungry animal doesn't want to sleep, he wants to hunt.

I think this is sound advice
    Make sure that you are allowing / planning this snack in to your daily calories! They can be quite high!

Try to avoid fruits like apples, plums, bananas, anything that contains caffeine etc...

I learned all this after developing a sleep problem AND putting on weight too...

See http://harderbetter-fasterstronger.blogspot.com for more info! Entirely non-commercial! Just my blog on what I've discovered! :) Some top recipe ideas on there too! :) xx
  • glenbabe
    Options

I think this is sound advice

sorry messed that up ........this is sound advice lol
  • glenbabe
    Options
    I go for yogurt or a glass of skim milk

great to see someone from unwrapping candys challenge lol