Protein shakes

Options
What do you think about drinking a protein shake before a workout. Good or bad?

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    It's fine. You can drink it before a workout, after a workout, or later in the day. Whichever you prefer.
  • michis05
    michis05 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    i use this stuff called physique and its for after work outs. but i use it before and during. I guess as long as you use it you should be good :)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    What ones are best? Is there really a benefit to them over other protein sources? Are there any good non-dairy ones?
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i like it after a work out, and carbs before. thats just me though.
  • kportelli70
    Options
    My friend (who is a personal trainer) says it's best to have one AFTER a workout because it helps to fuel your muscles to heal and grow. And you should drink it within an hour after your workout.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    What ones are best? Is there really a benefit to them over other protein sources? Are there any good non-dairy ones?

It is better to get it from non powder sources. But it is hard to do that sometimes because it would require way too much meat or other sources. Its for convenience :]
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    i like it after a work out, and carbs before. thats just me though.

You and me both :]
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    ......don't mind me, I'm just waiting for a certain shakeology pusher to show up....*quietly takes seat in corner*
  • future_hotasiangirl
    Options
    I usually just drink 2 cups of milk after, but I am thinking of adding protein shakes to my meals...
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Studies suggest that it may be better after for assimilation of proteins.
  • barbarajean3
    barbarajean3 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I use life source which is totally organic plant based and gluten free.:drinker:
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    That depends on what sort of workout you're doing. If it's a strength workout, then yeah. Cardio, don't bother.

As for the before/after ordeal? Take it 2 hours before the workout, and don't eat anything in that time. Drink plenty of water though. The 2 hour period allows your body to digest the pre-workout food thoroughly so it's prepared for the workout. Working out with food in your stomach is a bad idea.

Take your recovery food/drink within 30 minutes after your workout. the reasons for this are pretty obvious.

During the workout, only drink water, unless you're going for more than 1 hour. If it's shorter, you're not burning enough calories to ingest any extras. If you take in calories while doing a short workout, then you'll actually reduce the effectiveness of the workout (in terms of weight loss) because you'll just be burning what you take in, as opposed to burning what's already in your body. If you go for more than 1 hour (of hard workout - you gotta be sweating) then you'll use up more than what you body has stored, so you need to take in something to compensate. 1L of Gatorade(130cal)/hour is a good base point to start with.

Also, IMO, protein shakes are a complete waste of money! Your body will never be able to digest processed "food" as well as it can real food! A glass of 1% of skim milk will produce better results than a straight-up protein shake! need more protein than that? Try a ham sandwich, or tuna even! Real food > any imitation.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Studies suggest that it may be better after for assimilation of proteins.

Resistance is futile, prepare to be assimilated. Haha, just kidding.. I'm sure you meant synthesize. :wink:
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Also, IMO, protein shakes are a complete waste of money! Your body will never be able to digest processed "food" as well as it can real food! A glass of 1% of skim milk will produce better results than a straight-up protein shake! need more protein than that? Try a ham sandwich, or tuna even! Real food > any imitation.

Dollar for dollar, they are the cheapest source of protein available. Also, I wouldn't exactly consider a highly processed, sodium filled food like 'ham' or a ham sandwich to be a better source of protein than a protein shake.

Also, studies have shown that whey / casein are highly digestible proteins.... Just because a food is processed doesn't automatically make it undigestible. Would you apply the same standard to greek style yogurt? Of course not.

Bottom line with protein shakes is that they help you hit your daily macros....nothing more, nothing less. Hitting your daily protein requirements is FAR more important than obsessing over when to have your protein shake to stave off the dreaded post-workout muscle catabolism.

As an example, I was able to hit 200 grams of protein today (feel free to view my diary). It would have been difficult to do so without the 50 grams of protein I got from my morning shot of Monster Milk.
  • gogisue
    Options
    I use shakes post workout or snack to reduce cravings;some are really high in calories/sugar though. I like Visalus shake mix; my friend let me try it and it tastes better than any of the others I've tried, and it blends well in blender :)