breastfeeding and dieting

Options
How many calories should I be consuming so my supply doesn't go down? Is it ok to diet while breastfeeding?

Replies

• lilmisspea
    lilmisspea Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I dieted whilst breastfeeding, basically i didn't increase my calories, carried on eating normally without the extra calories. i ate a lot of fresh foods and no junk as didn't want my milk affected. I would say breastfeeding was the main part of my weight loss, it kept me on track in terms of what i ate as it would effect my daughter..think i've lost about 4stone now (stopped weighing). I'm still breastfeeding now (12months on) and it appears to be helping keep the weight off!
    The main thing is to keep your carb intake up....shouldn't effect your supply then
    and don't worry bout losing your baby weight too soon, your body was your baby's temple for 9months. Being bigger meant you made lots of room for a comfy happy baby!!
  • crittytn
    Options
    You just have to make sure you're eating enough for the calories and energy you burn for breastfeeding. I dieted after I had my 3rd baby and was eating approx 1600 to 1700 calories per day with no official exercise, other than chasing the kids. That gave me a steady 1 pound loss per month.

Keep food healthy and meals balanced.