I HATE my scale!!!!

Options
Jackie_W
Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
Yesterday - my usual weigh in day I weighed in at 206lbs, today, I thought I'd step on them after a lot of walking yesterday, and it read 212lbs!!!!!! I DON'T THINK SO ! :noway:

The moral of this story is, don't be a slave to your scale, they lie to you! :laugh:

Seriously though, it makes me sooo -:mad: to think I could put that much on in one day - I know it's wrong but it still infuriates me :grumble:

Replies

• Jackie_W
    Options
    Yesterday - my usual weigh in day I weighed in at 206lbs, today, I thought I'd step on them after a lot of walking yesterday, and it read 212lbs!!!!!! I DON'T THINK SO ! :noway:

The moral of this story is, don't be a slave to your scale, they lie to you! :laugh:

Seriously though, it makes me sooo -:mad: to think I could put that much on in one day - I know it's wrong but it still infuriates me :grumble:
  • Anne1882
    Anne1882 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I totally agree that scales lie! I bought my first scale, though a few days ago and got one that has a body fat percent thingie on it, so it tells weight and body fat percentage. I really liked the idea of having that, because even if the scale isn't showing a loss, i can tell if i've gained muscle or fat! :laugh:

As an afterthought... you might have gaines muscle mass and if you weighed at a different time than you normally do, it could be from a number of things that it showed a dif weight. Also, experts say to weight yourself in the morning after you go potty, it's way more accurate that way :happy:

Good luck! :drinker:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    IMHO:

Scale is the :devil: 's Spawn
  • Jackie_W
    Options
    I totally agree that scales lie! I bought my first scale, though a few days ago and got one that has a body fat percent thingie on it, so it tells weight and body fat percentage. I really liked the idea of having that, because even if the scale isn't showing a loss, i can tell if i've gained muscle or fat! :laugh:

As an afterthought... you might have gaines muscle mass and if you weighed at a different time than you normally do, it could be from a number of things that it showed a dif weight. Also, experts say to weight yourself in the morning after you go potty, it's way more accurate that way :happy:

I always weigh myself first thing in the morning, after potty, and it's not even TOM time :grumble:
    Think I might have to look into one of those body fat scales - at least I'd know where I stand then :happy:
  • Jackie_W
    Options
    IMHO:

Scale is the :devil: 's Spawn

:laugh: :laugh: You are sooooo right :flowerforyou:
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Since I set a specific weigh-in day, I hide my scale (out of sight, out of mind?) until that time. I'm even considering, since this week I'm feeling gross (closing in on you know what) of just skipping it this week so that I don't make an already not-great time, even worse.

Someone also wrote in an earlier post this week not to weigh after exercise because your muscles or tissues or something retain water. Have to find that one again. But there's no way you gained six pounds. Congrats on the 206. No other number matters this week. :wink:
  • bathedinshadow
    bathedinshadow Posts: 117 Member
    Options

I wouldn't put too much faith behind this method of measuring body fat. It is one of the least accurate ways to measure body fat as there are several things that can cause an error, not to mention the scale itself. If you want a more accurate way... the best options are DXA and Hydrostatic weighing. I've come to understand that DXA is more accurate and easier as you don't have to be submerged in water (not expelling all air from lungs can result in a false reading), however it can be pricy. Hydrostatic weighing is harder to come by but cheaper if you can find a university that does it.

Anyway, I'm just saying this because I think it can give you a false sense of things. I went and had my body fat measured this way about a month ago just for fun and it says I have 15% body fat. As far as I can tell... this would pretty much mean I was an elite athlete. I would guess that my body fat is on the low side, but given that I hadn't been exercising for months at this point... it was not 15%. I plan on getting the DXA done soon.

I wish that the scale was just removed from our civilization. It really is discouraging for people and we get so obsessed with the number. Body fat analysis and measuring tape!!! Not to mention just how we feel.
  • DMORTIFF
    DMORTIFF Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    try and weigh yourself only once a week, the same time every week the same clothes. You can drive yourself crazy chasing numbers daily
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Buy a measuring tape and track your progress that way. Even when the scale is playing horrible games, a measuring tape doesn't lie.
  • SkyraBee
    SkyraBee Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yes, the scale only helps us to be crazy. Just remember to weigh yourself in the morning right after you pee. That will give you the most accurate reading. I do it without any clothes on too. Why should I add the extra pounds of my clothing and/or shoes lol. Makes me feel good. I like the idea of having a scale that has body fat on it too. I think I will seek one of those out.

Keep on keeping on!! :flowerforyou:
  • brandnewsummerb
    Options
    Oh I TOTALLY agree...they do lie!!! I am living proof today as well. There is no way I weigh as much as I did when I started MFP! Puh-leese, I can see it! Darn scales...wish we didn't rely on them so strongly for our success sometimes
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Yup,,scale is the devil. I weighed myself on Friday as ususal, then again on Sunday just for the heck of it, I was up 2 1/2 pounds in 2 days:noway: Its hard not to want to toss the stupid thing in front of a moving bus sometimes! I have to go with how my clothes fit, tape measurements and almost monthly weights to really know how things are progressing.
  • happygirl518
    happygirl518 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Hi Jackie and all those that followed....lots of good sound advise here.

Jackie, put the scales away til next week. Keep true to your weigh-in date and don't get on them til the next time....Attitude is key and stressing yourself out will sabatoge your efforts this week, as you'll always be reflecting on what you saw today.

Everyone that mentioned the Tape Measure........Good for YOU

Jackie I had stepped it up last week with my exercise and today is my weigh in day, I was so anticipating a loss. I stayed the same. Got out the tape measure and was down 12 5/8 inches from last month. I know from past experience if the inches are dropping so too will the pounds....so with that said, I am encouraged, not discouraged!!!!

So get out the tape measure or invest in one (small investment) and let more than just the scales Weigh Your Success.

Good Luck and good for you gettin to 206...before you know it you will be in Onederland and new numbers!!!! Now that's something to Get Happy About!!!
    Debbie "Shape up with the Daily Heet' & Let's Get Real msg. boards