Lane Bryant, Torrid, Catherines

Options
When I was 16, my mom walked me into Lane Bryant as for the first time in my life I needed to wear a size 16. Not much of an intro, but "these stores carry the bigger sizes". I didn't realize I was entering a 7 year portal where I would gain a lot of weight, and lose a lot of confidence.

Do you think that Lane Bryant, Torrid, and those other big people stores will survive in the coming years?

America is getting so fat the news says, that health restaurants, stores, and products are popping up everywhere. Its like the country is in a tug of war on whether we want to be healthy and free, or fat and accepting.

I think Lane Bryant is going to have to ditch the "real woman" motto and realize that we are all real women. They should be exemplifying healthy bodies, not necessarily fat or skinny ones? Wouldn't that be nice if for a period of time the american model was at a NORMAL weight. Not skinny, or a chubby "real woman"?

What do you think... are we going to get fatter or skinner as a nation. Do you think these companies will survive or thrive as they are? yadda yadda Kind of several topics at once.

Replies

• edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Those stores will have no problem with staying in business. The nation is getting fatter. It's getting so bad that our military is in danger because our kids are so out of shape.
  • Izable2011
    Izable2011 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    :wink: That's an interesting topic. I would not be suprised if America in general would possible get more fit. Atleast for me, I cannot afford to eat out all the time now and that alone has helped me lose weight and get into better shape. I wonder what the economy will do for diet?
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    I think stores like Lane Bryant will always be around. Lane Bryant has been a company in America for, what is it now, a century? I'm too lazy to look it up. The only thing that has changed is that the sizes continue to go up. There will always be something to counteract what's going on in our culture. We have more health food stores, and we've become accustomed to the terms low fat, low calorie, and low carb. In the fifties and sixties, Coca Cola was considered healthy. More sugar and more TV dinners. Cigarettes were the norm, because that's what people did. Regardless of where America goes, we have the cause and the effect always pushing against each other and making the profit.

If you look at Lane Bryant models, they ARE real women. They're gorgeous and proportionately sized. I have yet to see a size 30 model on any of the advertisements. They are catering to this dream that I have to just look good in a pair of underwear but still show a woman who doesn't truly relate to me... but just enough to keep me coming back into stores.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I do believe they will survive and flourish just because the level of obesity in this and many other countries is so out of control. Look at the kids in schools today, more are obese than not. I don't understand why more stores don't just carry plus sized clothes, there are more size 16+ than size 2's out there I think. I hate Lane Bryant, their clothes look cheap and raggity, don't know anything about Catherines, but I did just read an article that Torrid has great boots for women with larger calves and I am going to check out their site. My calves are 17" and I haven't been able to wear high boots in years. Maybe this will be my year!
  • jendra11339
    Options
    Even if the obesity rate goes down to lower levels there will still be bigger people, so I don't think those stores will be going anywhere. Plus, Lane Bryant is also great for ladies whose chest measurements fall outside the norm when it comes to bras, tops, and jackets.
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    That's the thing... Lane Bryant models are chosen to be large enough to not be a supermodel... but most of their customers don't look like that. When they make "flattering" clothes. Its to make women look smaller and shaplier. Thing is... the very nature of their store is encouraging women to become so big that its hard to make them look good.

If I have shopped at big stores for 6 years.... drop the weight... am I no longer a real woman? I think that a store that encouraged health would be successful. I think that this health kick that the country is starting to get on is going to open up a lot of business opptys for entrepreneurs. I thought myself that if I got really healthy I could be a weight loss coach with a center that helps with nutrition, fitness classes, and childcare for women who want to be healthy but "don't have time". Yes they have those now but usually its just a gym or just a nutritionist not a multifaceted product/service.

I see that most ppl think we will stay fat or get fatter as a country. However that is not the only way we are declining as a country. Hope the tide turns.

10938486.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I believe that it doesn't matter exactly what we think because America is built on cut-throat capitalism. Our hallmark is freedom. So we are free to "choose" whether or not we want to be healthy or fat. Whatever you choose, the options are available. So I doubt Lane Bryant will ever cease to exists and someone will always thin that run way model think is the epitome of beauty. To each is own. Now whether or not we actually have a choice in how we eat (i.e., if you grow up in a food desert) that's a different story. Like I said if you make it, cook it, build it, fry it, bake it, whatever "they will come" lol