Is under 1200 bad?

Options
So today I haveonly eaten 850 calories so far out of my allowed 1500. should I try and eat a healthy high cal supper now (it's 21:40) to get up to at least 1200, or will it not affect my metabolism if it's only one day? I don't want starvation mode to kick in etc...

Thanks!

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Yes you should eat.
  • snowbab
    snowbab Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have been eating a lot it's just been very low cal stuff like fruit and salad. Will one day really affect my metabolism or can I just make sure I eat more tomorrow? I'm just not very hungry at the moment and I'll feel bad if i eat for the sake of it :S
  • nadiaez
    nadiaez Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't force yourself as I am sure one day wont hurt but you just need to keep an eye on it the future
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    not for lunch, but it does not leave much more for rest of day unless you get in some exercise.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    You need to be eating more high calorie foods to hit your goals then. Try whole fat dairy, nuts and seeds, avocados and such

Even if you are not hungry you should eat something. Listening to your body sounds good in theory, but you really need the nutrients and energy from the food. You are more likely to be burning muscle with anything less than 1000 calories especially

It can be hard some days, but still important to hit your goal every day:flowerforyou:
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    One day will not instantly flip some switch to send you in some downward spiral.

That being said, eating would be best. When you see you are trending on the low side for the day is the time to reach for the avocado, whole eggs, almond butter and more calorie dense foods made up of good fats.

4oz of lean beef and a sweet potato add up quick and are great for you.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    its not going to hurt you to eat under 1200 one day......just make sure you mostly try to eat at least 1200 a day.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Probably need to kick up the cals through out your meals..so you don't get to this point...but if your hungry eat..you'll be fine! I usually eat up to my bedtime..if that helps and I still am losing weight..eat your exercise calories..check up top on the reports tab and check your nutrition..should eat your net calories!
  • Cejkax6
    Options
    I to dont hit my calorie (1200) every day. But I do have some days I go over. I am learning as I go that I save more of my calories for a bigger meal at dinner time with my kids and eat small meals with low calories during the day. I have just started this and have lost my first 4lbs in 3 days plus exercise.

You just to figure out how to make your calories streach throughout the day to reach your goal.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I hate this whole 1200 calorie thing. It really depends on the person. 1330 is my maintenance, 1047 is my BMR.....so 1200 is a lot for me. Its totally dependent on the person. Honestly, unless you are like me....less than 5' tall, weighing in at barely 100...you should probably eat more than 1200 calories. There's the usual suspects of the dreaded "starvation" mode, but also...eating low calorie constantly will make you BINGE! I don't care how many times people try to stay super low and lose weight quickly, they inevitably gain all the weight back. Do it smart...lose weight slowly, unless you really want to chance gaining it all back just as quickly as you lost it.

But to answer your question, one day isnt going to kill your lifestyle. Just don't make a habit of it.
  • monika86g
    Options
    I don't think you can call extra 350cal a super high calorie dinner.... a nice healthy salad would have that. or have a soup and 2 slices of brown bread, that will give you 200-300. but if you really don't like eating late night (like me) then skip the dinner, but make sure you have a nice breakfast and eat well tomorrow! x
  • mnatanski
    Options
    My sister and brother are both fitness trainers and have their degrees in nutrition and wellness. Ive asked them this same question. They said that everyone's body is different. 1200 calories may be great for someone but not enough for others. Depends on your body type. I would try to stay at, at least 1200 calories. I know it can be hard some days when all your food is low in calories. I have the same issues. BUT, since youre already around the "ball park" and have a healthy diet, I wouldnt worry too much. Just dont make it an every day thing. The body need nutrition for fuel to be a well oiled running machine :)