Need Motivation!

Options
It seems like every time I hit the gym and get serious about dieting it last a few weeks and then I start slacking. I'm not sure what my deal is, I know I've been depressed about my weight but realizing that should motivate me to get back to my healthy habits right? I'm a very busy person- I work 35 hours a week at least and I'm a full time mommy. It seems like at the end of the day all I want to do is lay down and veg out. How do you keep your mind (and body) off of the couch, out of the junk food and into the gym? HELP!

Replies

• jjbraid
    jjbraid Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    First thing first. Don't call it a diet. They fail. Call it a lifestyle change becuase that is what you have to do. It is one of the hardest thing I have done to date. I too currently work full time as a teacher, part time a few nights a week, and I go to grad school. Oh did I mention that I too am a mommy. Take your kid out for a walk. You dont have to sweat bullets to call it a workout. Just get up and move. Stick with it.
  • oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    It seems like every time I hit the gym and get serious about dieting it last a few weeks and then I start slacking. I'm not sure what my deal is, I know I've been depressed about my weight but realizing that should motivate me to get back to my healthy habits right? I'm a very busy person- I work 35 hours a week at least and I'm a full time mommy. It seems like at the end of the day all I want to do is lay down and veg out. How do you keep your mind (and body) off of the couch, out of the junk food and into the gym? HELP!

Start eating really healthy food and rid your self of high carb no motivation foods.....once you start to eat healthy vegetables etc you will find the rest of it will fall into place........its all in your mind !
  • jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    I'm also a very busy mommy--I work full time (40+ hours) and go to school full time as well. I felt the same way you did..start a change, workout really well for a couple weeks and then like a balloon popping, BAM, motivation gone. I think what helped me is to think of this as a complete lifestyle makeover. I changed my attitude about food. It doesn't have to be super healthy, no mess-up days EVERYDAY. It's okay to indulge in things that you really enjoy now and then, just don't go overboard. Throw out all the crap in the house and replace it with healthy options for snacks. (I'm a big-time snacker so it was hard not to reach for the chips or cookies.) And when it comes to exercise, you don't have to go to the gym. Buy a couple different workout DVDs and switch them up a few times a week while your kid is taking a nap or entertaining themselves for 20 minutes. Go take a walk at the park with your kid in a stroller for a while. Have your kid exercise alongside you--make it a game. I've found that those little bursts of exercise is enough for me to get moving and feel good that I exercised, plus it doesn't take a long time to do so even if you're exhausted, it's only 20-30 minutes to get it over and done with. Just take baby steps and take it one day at a time. You'll find that it's easier to pick yourself up and keep going and it'll be harder to lose motivation. :)
  • Krustarella
    Krustarella Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just take one day at a time.... Once you see the scales moving it such a motivator. Plus going to the gym you will feel tons better.
    Keep talking and venting here on MFP. We are all here with ya. How about an accountability partner. Need one?? Msg me on here. We can email/text accountability. Plus I just rejoined my local gym and will be going by myself :~(