Whey Protein Powder

Options
Do you use it?
Does it help?
When do you use it?
How do you use it or what do you mix it with?
What brand/flavor do you suggest?

I'm open to all knowledge on it! Give me your input! Thanks!!

Replies

• aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I use optimum nutrition chocolate whey - i mix one scoop with almond milk after a workout - i really like it. :flowerforyou:
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I use it after a good-hard work-out or a run.

I use Pure-protein, frosty chocolate and mix it with Almond milk.

Protein aids in recovery so, I try to drink it no more than 30 minutes after I workout.

For a yummy treat, I mix the protein, almond milk, peanut butter and ice, tastes like a milkshake.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    More protein is a great thing unless you have a medical concern.

I do premade shakes, Chocolate Premier Protein. Have it everyday!

Enjoy!!
  • JRMcCaghren
    Options
    I have some that I use occasionally after a good workout. I can't really tell what it does, but I guess it's more internal. I will say that the kind I got (the first brand I ran across at Wal-Mart) says you can drink it with milk or water. With milk it's okay, maybe even good. But, it's terrible in water. It's a good source of protein, but on an average day I prefer chicken.
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Do you use it?
    Does it help?
    When do you use it?

Yes
    Yes
    Whenever I can't get enough calories and/or protein which is every day (my diary is open I think)
    Usually mix it with just milk, sometimes use the blender and put in fruits as well.
    I use Optimum Nutrition because they have so many flavours.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    after a work out i use egg protein powder and mix about a 1/4-1/2 of a scoop into my fruit smoothie and that is my recover drink. i make it with:

4-6 oz of fruice juice
    1/4 cup of fat free plain yogurt
    1/2 cup of frozen berries
    1 banana
    pinch of salt
    1/4 of protein powder

drink it within 30 minutes of your work out and enjoy!
  • pattymartin2010
    Options
    bump
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Do you use it? Yes.
    Does it help? Yes, very much.

When do you use it? My doctor has me trying to eat/drink 50g protein every three hours. So a scoop of protein powder in my drink at every meal and every snack really helps me with that.
    I've also found it very useful when I have to go to family gatherings and/or potlucks, places where I can't know ahead of time what types of food will be available and whether there will be anything I am allowed to eat. So I will make sure & carry a ziplock bag of protein powder in my purse. That way, if there's not much I can eat, I can always just subtly slip that powder into my drink & won't have to completely go hungry or embarrass the host.

How do you use it? I usually just mix it into water. Some fruit flavors work well in diet 7-up or diet Mountain Dew, if you must have caffeine. I've even found a cappuccino flavor that mixes into a cup of ice & coffee for a Starbucks-esque drink. I've created new flavors by mixing crystal light drink mix, water, and vanilla protein powder. Also, if you're craving chocolate ice cream, try mixing a scoop of chocolate protein powder into plain Greek yogurt instead.

What brand/flavor? I have tried several different kinds; some are better in smoothies or yogurt, some require a blender to mix well, others will mix up well with just water & a spoon. I'm naturally lazy, so I prefer that last kind... :wink: I like the Syntrax Nectar brand, it's one of the smoothest. It also has a very wide variety of flavors, and you can order sample-size packets online so you can try them out without committing to buying a giant jar. Actually, you can do that with many different brands, so I'd recommend trying those first. :smile:

Good luck to you!
  • Des92
    Des92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have Whey Gourmet in chocolate peanut butter and strawberry banana. They're good!! I've also tried alpha whey (I think that's what it was called) and didn't like it as much. I make shakes for breakfast or after working out... or whenenever I need more protein/calories. I stick it in a blender with milk and ice cubes, and sometimes add frozen fruit/ peanut butter/chocolate syrup... whatever I think will make it taste amazing (as long as I have the calories for it!) Sometimes I mix it into oatmeal or yogurt too.
  • Alycra
    Alycra Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Do you use it?
    Does it help?
    When do you use it?

Yes
    Yes
    I use it after I work out everyday.
    I typically mix it with skim milk (makes it kind of a treat), but it is just as good with water if my calories are high for the day.
    I use Optimum Nutrition. I have had the Strawberry, Strawberry Banana, Cake Batter, and Cookies and Cream.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    For those that answered "yes" to "does it help?". What does it help with exactly? Are you typically low on protein so it helps meet that goal, or something else? I'm always over on protein.
  • istalkzombies
    istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    CytoSport Whey Protein it's the same company that makes Muscle Milk I get a 6lb pound bag at Costco for like 35-40 bucks and that lasts forver they have choclate and vanilla both are pretty good, choclate is better by itself but vanilla is easier to mix with stuff imo, I also recently bought Jay Robb (http://www.jayrobb.com/default.asp) Tropical Dreamsicle Whey Protein it's byfar the best tasting brand of proetin powder but is pretty pricey I only bought it this time cause it was on a closeout sale at the grocery store nearby I also have Jay Robb Egg White Protein Strawberry flavor it's delicious but pricey as well mom bought it but doesn't really use it so she gave it to me, but when they are gone im goin abck to the Cytosport as it's still very effective and cheaper.
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I went and got some.. Now the big question. If I add the extra protein on days that I don't work out, is it going to make me bulk up? In my research, I read that the whey protein helps to boost metabolism, which is what I want. But I do not want to be bulking up from it.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    You'll only bulk if you consume more calories every day in addition to weight training.

Even then, it'd take years to be noticeable.

While dieting, it'll curb your cravings and repair your muscles.
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    For those that answered "yes" to "does it help?". What does it help with exactly? Are you typically low on protein so it helps meet that goal, or something else? I'm always over on protein.
    It helps me meet my protein goal for the day. If I were to meet it with real foods, it would probably cost me at least $100/week.
  • mushalek
    Options
    Do you use it?
    Does it help?
    When do you use it?

yes i use it everyday.!
    100% whey protein strawberry GNC brand
    mixed with water
    i take it with water right after every workout and it helps my muscles recover so much!
    i defiantly recommend it
  • fuckyeahkari
    fuckyeahkari Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yup, love it.
    I use Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard Cake Batter.
    Usually mix it with water and drink it after a good workout.
    I've also tried their Double Rich Chocolate flavor and that was really good as well.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I went and got some.. Now the big question. If I add the extra protein on days that I don't work out, is it going to make me bulk up? In my research, I read that the whey protein helps to boost metabolism, which is what I want. But I do not want to be bulking up from it.
    Absolutely not. If we're talking about carbs, your body will store them as fat very easily. But with protein, most of the time if you eat more protein than you need, the extra will just pass on out of your system.

There's a lot more danger that eating too *little* protein will cause you to lose muscle mass: the chemical reaction that burns fatty acids also requires amino acids, which your body gets from protein. So if you eat too little protein, and your body is trying to burn its fat for energy, it will take the protein it needs from your muscles.

You may not want bulky muscles, but remember that the more muscle mass you have, the easier it is to lose weight. Muscle tissue requires more energy, even when it's resting, so the more muscle you have, the more fat your body will have to burn to fuel it.

Finally, if you're female, the whole "bulking up" thing probably will not happen unless you get crazy and strength train 8 hours a day. Women's bodies just aren't designed that way.
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I buy the Kroger brand Whey & Soy protein powder in chocolate and vanilla; I keep a filter pitcher in the fridge and usually just mix it with cold water. I will mix it with skim milk if I've worked out and need the extra boost to not snack before dinner. I'm a very picky eater and I like the taste.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It helps me meet my protein goal for the day. If I were to meet it with real foods, it would probably cost me at least $100/week.

Thanks! It sometimes seems I'm the only person on this site that doesn't use protein supplements so I thought I was missing something. But I'm always 25+ over the recommended on protein so I guess I don't need it.