Leg Workouts

Options
Hi Everyone

Lots of you responded to my LEGS post last week asking what the best exercises were to get them in shape, all of you said lunges and squats....just wondering, how many should I do each time???

I've been doing 3 sets of 12 squats and 2 sets of 12 lunges every other day but if I need to be doing everyday (gulp) then I will!

Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• xXmimiXx
    xXmimiXx Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone

Lots of you responded to my LEGS post last week asking what the best exercises were to get them in shape, all of you said lunges and squats....just wondering, how many should I do each time???

I've been doing 3 sets of 12 squats and 2 sets of 12 lunges every other day but if I need to be doing everyday (gulp) then I will!

Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • Starchaser
    Options
    In every article in every journal and magazine I've read, it's said exercise three times per week with at least one days rest in between for best results.

The only problem I can see is these are all men's fitness studies, but I don't beleive there can be that much difference. Still, best to check with someone who has more knowledge. I can only speak from experience.

I keep fit and lean for martial arts through training at the gym 3 times a week for 1 hour max.
    Yes the martial arts classes will help but they're nowhere near as intense as my gym session, which has been clocked at potentially burning up to 1,000 calories per hour.

Anyway, in answering your question, I say don't be working everyday. Your rep range and sets seem fine, they're the same as I do, and I get results from that. If you feel you're not getting benefit, add some weight: do your lunges and squats holding dumb-bells by your side.
  • xXmimiXx
    xXmimiXx Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    ooh, I forgot my all time favorite leg exercise. it's the deadlift. Sometimes I'll do them as a 1 legged deadlift. They are awesome for the hamstrings.

If you aren't sure how to do them, google it. I know you aren't supposed to feel this in your back though.
  • ekalcur
    ekalcur Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I do intervals with different weights. The more weight I'm using the less reps. Here's my pattern (please note that the weight amounts I used are purely just to show how it works. They will obviously be different depending on what exercises you're doing):

Set #1: 12 Reps - 10lbs
    Set #2: 10 Reps - 15lbs
    Set #3: 8 reps - 20 lbs
    Set #4: 6 reps - 25 lbs
    Set #5: 12 reps - 10 lbs

I wait 1 minute in between each set for recovery. Each set should be challenging by the time you reach the end of your reps. So for example, if you're on set 1 and you fly through all 12 reps no problem, then you need to start higher. By the time you hit the 6-rep set, it should be pushing you pretty hard.

This method is really effective and should produce quick results! Let me know if you have any questions. Happy lifting!
  • Starchaser
    Options
    One legged deadlift is pretty good, I use it myself.

A really tough hamstring exercise is the double medicine ball/gym ball hamstring curl. It works the calves, hams and core all at once.

Also the unilateral stretch band extension really burns!

Do a google video search to find them,
  • ekalcur
    ekalcur Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am also a huge fan of the deadlift!